Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stupid Geography Question

Posted

I hate to have to ask this but...

I've just moved from Kent to Aylesbury. It's obvious where Kent is but where is Aylesbury (other than in Buckinghamshire)!? I have no idea what the area I'm in is called! Could it be South and South Central or could it be South East and East Anglia, or both? Tv people seem to think it's South, but I am getting fed up of hearing what the weather is doing in Southampton, I'm closer to London!

Tbh it feels like I've fallen into a blackhole! I have no idea what the weather is going to do here, I'm not used to being so far from the sea! search.gif

Anyone in the area (wherever that is!) got suggestions which thread to follow when the weather gets 'serious'?

Posted

That's one of the thoughts I had but no one else seems to call it that for anything useful, if they call it anything at all!nea.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I was born and raised in Bucks, and could never work out where it was...Apart from the fact that the snow always seemed to be elsewhere.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

We used to live there (Princes Risborough) and could never work out the region either! We could get telly from South, Midlands and East Anglia, depending on the direction of the aerial in old analogue days. I suspect that you might have to look at SE and EA thread and possibly the Midlands when things get interesting on here. See how it goes.

Posted

LOL this is amazing! I'm so pleased it's not just me being new to the area!

My OH has just suggested sending this to the local paper!

I shall keep my eyes on the suggested threads lol!biggrin.png

Thanks all for your suggestions (and for stopping me questioning my geography skills!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's true though. It's not the SE, not EA and not the Midlands either!

Posted

I think most Bucks members post in the SE and EA regional thread?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Definately consider Aylesbury as SE England or the northern Home Counties.

Posted

I have/had a similar problem with northern Derbyshire. Accent-wise it's very much in the north-west by the time you reach Buxton, climatically it's more Yorkshire / north-west, but in terms of administrative regions it's in the East Midlands. Regional TV from the North-West, East Midlands and West Midlands can all be accessed depending on which way your aerial is tuned, and apparently BBC Yorkshire can be accessed as well.

Posted

BBC Yorkshire can be accessed as well.

sadly as an exiled lad from Gods country, that of the Ram, that is the only one I can get. The only time they report anything outside their beloved Yorkshire is some crime or sports star, even into Notts for Rebecca and swimming. Derbyshire cricket is only mentioned if they play Yorkshire. That was quite amusing this summer as Yorkshire ended up second to Derbyshire and watching Harry report that without agreeing Derbyshire had ended above Yorkshire was quite funny to watch.

oh well

ps

as for the weather from Met then Doncaster sits neatly between Yorkshire and the Midlands-take your pick!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I just go by the regions of England - Buckinghamshire is considered part of the affluent South East, which is always used in news articles as being the UK's richest region outside London. It's easy to see why.. every county in this image (bar the Isle of Wight) is loaded with money.

south-east-map.gif

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I have/had a similar problem with northern Derbyshire. Accent-wise it's very much in the north-west by the time you reach Buxton, climatically it's more Yorkshire / north-west, but in terms of administrative regions it's in the East Midlands. Regional TV from the North-West, East Midlands and West Midlands can all be accessed depending on which way your aerial is tuned, and apparently BBC Yorkshire can be accessed as well.

Same here. My t.v signal comes from Waltham which means, regionally, I receive East Midlands on BBC and West MIdlands on ITV. It's also possible to get just as good a signal from Yorkshire t.v.

It's very rare that the national weather forecast will mention Derbyshire specifically, usually it's narrowed down only as far as 'Northern England' or 'The Midlands'. With Derbyshire being such a long county from north to south it's often difficult to know where the dividing line is for either of those regions.

Occasionally the 'North Midlands' will be mentioned and I assume Derbyshire is then included, even better if the Peak District gets a mention as I then know it's definitely me- although even then there's often a big difference between the weather in the north and south of the Peak .

Administratively the whole of Derbyshire lies within the East Midlands which seems a bit ridiculous if you live somewhere like Glossop which is only a few miles from Manchester.

With regard to the weather forecast the ideal situation would be a time allocation sufficient for the counties on the dividing line of each area to be specifically mentioned. I can remember years ago the excellent Bob Pritchard on Radio 4 doing just this; it made all the difference to the forecast, particularly when coupled with his enthusiasm for extreme weather and his attention to detail.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

What's even worse....where the hell is Hertfordshire (other than home counties) what region!?

Posted

I just go by the regions of England - Buckinghamshire is considered part of the affluent South East, which is always used in news articles as being the UK's richest region outside London. It's easy to see why.. every county in this image (bar the Isle of Wight) is loaded with money.

Have you been to Aylesbury or north Kent? Certainly there are lots of people with lots of money but there are more with hardly any! I hate to say it but they're both chav havens!