Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted

Another upgrade from the 12z GFS for Wales. It could be pretty much all snow for many on this run, especially on higher ground. Think the Valleys will get hit hard on this run, if it's right of course (which will change)

69-574.GIF?09-12

Only upgrades so far though.

Rain more like.....light frequent rain.....hope im wrong though biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I would suggest staying well away from the model thread if you want to see massive ups and downs this evening! Wait till Thursday night and then we will see where we are.

Posted

Any one deff know if theres snow for south wales

All i can tell you still light snow for Saturday according to latest GFS outputs 78_30.gif Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun

Hi Guys,

Farmer here trying to plan for the weekend (very near Llangrannog/Brynhoffnant)livestock feeding. Sheep are heavily in lamb. Do I move them closer to home because of the high risk of snow, or risk leaving them undisturbed where they are, as I have a good 4x4 which can cope ( as long as it's not too deep or lasts too long.

Any advice from you seasoned weather watchers gratefully recieved.

Posted

Well conditions have certainly changed - today has been some of the thickest fog in ages, visibility hasn't been above 30m all day (often less), the gloom has been remarkable and temps reached a peak of 4.3c this afternoon. We had an air frost last night for the first time in over a fortnight and with the temp currently 0.1c it should be a cold night tonight.

As for Saturday snow potential, the runs haven't changed that much, it could well be marginal for lowland and especially southern and western parts of Wales (perhaps rain turning to sleet/snow but not settling - could upgrade though) but north and east and higher ground looking like it could get lucky. As I said yesterday we will have a better idea tomorrow eve when it comes within range of the high-res models. Beyond that still very uncertain.

Posted

Hi Guys,

Farmer here trying to plan for the weekend (very near Llangrannog/Brynhoffnant)livestock feeding. Sheep are heavily in lamb. Do I move them closer to home because of the high risk of snow, or risk leaving them undisturbed where they are, as I have a good 4x4 which can cope ( as long as it's not too deep or lasts too long.

Should watch forum Friday to see how heavy the precipitation will be on the weekend .

Posted

Hi Guys,

As far as current models go, unlikely to be any major accumulations that far west and close to the coast, so you should be fine. Could change though, so keep an eye on forecasts.

Posted

Well conditions have certainly changed - today has been some of the thickest fog in ages, visibility hasn't been above 30m all day (often less), the gloom has been remarkable and temps reached a peak of 4.3c this afternoon. We had an air frost last night for the first time in over a fortnight and with the temp currently 0.1c it should be a cold night tonight.

As for Saturday snow potential, the runs haven't changed that much, it could well be marginal for lowland and especially southern and western parts of Wales (perhaps rain turning to sleet/snow but not settling - could upgrade though) but north and east and higher ground looking like it could get lucky. As I said yesterday we will have a better idea tomorrow eve when it comes within range of the high-res models. Beyond that still very uncertain.

Unlucky Mike we had a beautiful sunny day in Swansea. Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

Where are you Mike? Location not in your blurb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

As far as current models go, unlikely to be any major accumulations that far west and close to the coast, so you should be fine. Could change though, so keep an eye on forecasts.

I disagree there is loads of potential and hi res models (NAE etc) aren't in range yet...lets wait and see

Posted

I disagree there is loads of potential and hi res models (NAE etc) aren't in range yet...lets wait and see

Even the local forecast is for sleet or snow Saturday Sunday ,also heavier Snow Monday Tuesday (even in Pembroke) as a very cold easterly develops plenty of potential in these charts . Edited by keithlucky

In the short term, the event for Saturday, with some snow in places seems likely, and we will await the the Meso models to find out our chance.

Longer term, a very good UKMO tonight and a belter of a GEM. GFS clearly nowhere near as good. Hopefully ECM will be similar to its prevision runs, but nothing set in stone either way, even if the ECM is a belter or like the GFS,

Posted

I think its to stop the servers crashing .

Also you will notice where you are from is gone aswell .

Ty

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Yes someone on model output discussion last night mentioned a few features were temporarily disabled to stop the forum crashing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

I think its to stop the servers crashing .

Also you will notice where you are from is gone aswell .

That's going to be a pain when (or if??) the snow starts falling. It's always a laugh plotting the progress of any snow by the number of emoticons that appear in the posts! cold.gifclap.gifcold.gif

Posted

Well everything settled ECM on board ,peace and calm ,all happy we wait now for a Radar come Lampost watching weekend ahead.

Jackone why have names disappeared at bottom of forum?

It's a resource thing, as you can imagine it is very busy on here at the moment and by reducing this information, it should help keep the forum online at times of peak demand.

Edited by Jackone