Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What do you do when the weather looks dull?

Barry12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've noticed that spells with notable warmth combined with unusually abundant sunshine, like the spells in late-March and late-May this year, often have much the same effect on me as snowstorms, thunderstorms, squall lines and gales- they draw my attention and make me want to get outside and make the most of them. Certainly when I think back to the period May-July 2012 and try to recall notable weather events, the spell near the end of May sticks out. I can only conclude that such spells register with me as notable weather events in themselves, perhaps fuelled by their rarity in this country.

Taking the other side of the coin, I generally associate "non-weather" with stable anticyclonic situations, but the starkest example of "non-weather" that I recall from this year's summer was the cyclonic first half of July- the slow-moving low pressure systems brought a staggering amount of cloud cover and thus the weather in between the rain belts ended up persistently cloudy with the odd bit of drizzle. I think many of us found that a rather "testing" spell of weather!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I've noticed that spells with notable warmth combined with unusually abundant sunshine, like the spells in late-March and late-May this year, often have much the same effect on me as snowstorms, thunderstorms, squall lines and gales- they draw my attention and make me want to get outside and make the most of them. Certainly when I think back to the period May-July 2012 and try to recall notable weather events, the spell near the end of May sticks out. I can only conclude that such spells register with me as notable weather events in themselves, perhaps fuelled by their rarity in this country.

Taking the other side of the coin, I generally associate "non-weather" with stable anticyclonic situations, but the starkest example of "non-weather" that I recall from this year's summer was the cyclonic first half of July- the slow-moving low pressure systems brought a staggering amount of cloud cover and thus the weather in between the rain belts ended up persistently cloudy with the odd bit of drizzle. I think many of us found that a rather "testing" spell of weather!

Oh yes, that was absolutely disgusting, I believe that for the first 15 days of July Edinburgh recorded something along the lines of 10 hours of sunshine if I remember correctly. I suppose it was at least notably dull and notably cold which made it more memorable but I really couldn't say I enjoyed it.

I have a fairly wide range of weather interests, and although I certainly don't frequent the forum anything like as much in summer as in winter and I don't switch to other interests more often when the snow risk disappears I do still check the charts on a regular basis and keep abreast of any particularly interesting developments.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

one weather type that is not mentioned on here much and that is Fog, i love Fog, but sadly that is rare here too apart from early mornings before it disappears at about 9am, but before i used to see fog last most of the day, then it would come back late afternoon in winter, i get far too many bland cloudy days and tbh a lot are not even that dull, its just that annoying bright cloudy crap, i like clear blue skies, but not cloudyish brightness, i actually prefer dull days over bright cloudy days with the odd bit of sun

Fog is pretty common here, and I like it. I also enjoy taking walks on foggy mornings, especially when there are clear skies above.

In fact, there have been 72 days with fog at Leeds Bradford this year, so it's probably the second most common weather occurrence after rain.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

my self like all kind of weather accept mild in winter and when the mild comes i would like it to be the kind of mild that would break record somewhere in the country. But winter with out snow to me its crap and its upto people the kind of weather they like. Now when the weather gets boring i try to make or to look for pc progs and website that r accessible to blind and partly sighted peeps. Also as a sound engenier like to c what' new equipments in the market.

Posted

If the weather tends to be boring with no change in sight, i open a nice bot o red n look at yester year charts lol

Posted

I enjoy sunny, blue dome days with temperatures in the low 20's, humidity below 50% and dew points in single figures, but such days are unusual unfortunately. This past summer, we had a load of days in the low 20s accompanied with dew points in the high teens, often with a lot of cloud.. bleh.

Conversely, we had virtually 10 days of uninterrupted sunshine in late May with conditions such as the above, accompanied with a distinct breeze.. I actually enjoyed that, it was extremely comfortable.

I loved them days too and long for them so much, i love the snow we 'can' get in winter on occasion but i equally love squally rain/thunderstorms and even sometimes fog if the day is otherwise gonna clear to be sunny.

However i loathe a week of rain or even more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

This game is awesome in dull weather if you like building things, space and a real fun challenge!

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I look through the archive and drool over some of the great summers gone past

One of these summers this will happen again!

Rrea00220030806.gif

Rrea00220030810.gif

The 10th of August 2013 will mark a decade since the UK recorded its hottest ever temperature of 38.5°C (101.3 °F) in Faversham, Kent

Just 2 days after that France also broke its record on the 12th of August 2003 when a temperature of 44.1°C (110.1 °F) was recorded in Conqueyrac & Saint-Christol-lès-Alès both in southern France

Rrea00220030812.gif

Edited by Gavin.