Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

Did any actually forecast this band to still be here? its still producing snow, footpaths and roads getting a covering now

Yeah where the hell did this come from?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers, cold winters.

This just proves west Cumbria is the worst location for snow in the north west and only the far south west England is worse in the whole of England! I'm being serious

dunno about that mate! used to date a girl from whitehaven and seen some mammoth snow coverings up that way in my time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Everyone seen the new meto snow depth map?

no have u got it

Posted

Everyone seen the new meto snow depth map?

No, do share?

Still not really sticking here, sitting on roofs but not really increasing in depth, suggestings its a melt/replenishment effort.

Posted

used to date a girl from whitehaven

That was brave.

The extreme coastal strip of West Cumbria is rubbish for snow though, but no worse than any coastal strip of anywhere in the west I wouldn't have thought. Once you head towards the fells though things pick up pretty quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Has anyone in manchester got a covering yet.?

Nope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Hc u had this pinned a few days ago who was it u got the info from and what have they said about tomoz

Posted

This just proves west Cumbria is the worst location for snow in the north west and only the far south west England is worse in the whole of England! I'm being serious

I know Preston must be pretty similar...but there does like a band in the irish sea that might et you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

dunno about that mate! used to date a girl from whitehaven and seen some mammoth

snow coverings up that way in my time

There's only been two 15cm+ snow events in my life. The south of the region gets more than me every winter

Posted

sorry if its 5 hours old only just got sent it!

Just means it didn't take the 12z into account. Gonna be interesting seeing how this band develops, if the GFS was over reacting on the extent reaching the north west more so it should become obvious through the night. The 18z might also provide further insight.

In 2010 we were not predicted any major snow to start until late in the night, yet out of nowhere the irish sea perked up a streamer which buried us- I remember when it appeared BT suggested covering the cars with blankets as it would likely be a hail storm with the intensity it was showing- but it was just really heavy, unpredicted snow. About 5 minutes before it hit a red warning appeared!

Posted

Just to be clear ladies and gentlemen - what we are seeing now is instability in the strong SE wind ahead of the main front. In simple terms some of the warmer moist air has already tried to push east over the cold air. Sometimes this happens in a fragmented way but on this occasion a more organised "blob" of warm moist air has been thrown over us in the form of a mini occlusion. This occlusion is shown on the 12Z fax chart for today:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=charts;type=fax;sess=

Very difficult to track how these mini-features evolve but in this case it's worked out well for the NW giving a reasonably organised band of snow in most places except those near sea level. The fact that this is an occlusion (the warm air is floating above the cold air) means that it will eventually run out of steam, the cold air will mix with it and the snow will stop for a time. Then roll on the main front that is currently sat out across the far SW of the UK and Ireland - due to arrive (if it gets here at all) by tomorrow morning - Hope this helps - Wysi :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers, cold winters.

That was brave.

The extreme coastal strip of West Cumbria is rubbish for snow though, but no worse than any coastal strip of anywhere in the west I wouldn't have thought. Once you head towards the fells though things pick up pretty quickly.

8 years was with her,very brave haha!

yeah same issues in liverpool mate

Posted

Just to be clear ladies and gentlemen - what we are seeing now is instability in the strong SE wind ahead of the main front. In simple terms some of the warmer moist air has already tried to push east over the cold air. Sometimes this happens in a fragmented way but on this occasion a more organised "blob" of warm moist air has been thrown over us in the form of a mini occlusion. This occlusion is shown on the 12Z fax chart for today:

http://www.netweathe...;type=fax;sess=

Very difficult to track how these mini-features evolve but in this case it's worked out well for the NW giving a reasonably organised band of snow in most places except those near sea level. The fact that this is an occlusion (the warm air is floating above the cold air) means that it will eventually run out of steam, the cold air will mix with it and the snow will stop for a time. Then roll on the main front that is currently sat out across the far SW of the UK and Ireland - due to arrive (if it gets here at all) by tomorrow morning - Hope this helps - Wysi smile.png

Interestingly the met office yesterday suggested the downgrade for our area was due to an occlusion in the irish sea not mobilising, perhaps this is what we are now experiencing.