IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 03/02/13 12z ------->

A.J

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Looing dark out over the channel after another passing shower cruised through. Can see it snowing heavily out over the Purbecks towards Swanage and on Bournemouth West Cliff but town centre is clear!

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Wind really starting to gear up now,the sea is turning white. No fishing today i fear.cray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

A wintry shower just passed over, temperature drop was quite impressive .. http://www.wareham-w...timeCumulus.htm smile.png

That's a good set up you have there. good.gif It is nice seeing these things posted up graphically.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

That's a good set up you have there. good.gif It is nice seeing these things posted up graphically.

Thank you. good.gif

I need to get it on my front page but i'm having trouble positioning where i want it to be, hopefully i can sort it out. smile.png

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

What interesting winter we have had so far, Gales,Thunderstorms,heavy rain,Hail,sleet,snow,,,,Lying snow for 8 days, Ice, frost, couple crisp winter Sunny days,

Snowing again now with lovely well formed flakes, and blue sky appearing,

10 mins later Blue sky and Sunny [ April showers?]

Edited by cerneman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

it was a non event here on west mendip ,apart from a very hvy shower in early hours .just watched line of very angry cloud crossing exmoor from my view . watching next system heading south should be here around 8pm ish tonight ,but half expecting it to break up ..lets hope we get something from the fronts pushing in from the west this weekend .as for next week hard to predict at the moment but could be fun and games ,we just need some luck ,anyhow back to some grouting in the kitchen ,cheers drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

it was a non event here on west mendip ,apart from a very hvy shower in early hours .just watched line of very angry cloud crossing exmoor from my view . watching next system heading south should be here around 8pm ish tonight ,but half expecting it to break up ..lets hope we get something from the fronts pushing in from the west this weekend .as for next week hard to predict at the moment but could be fun and games ,we just need some luck ,anyhow back to some grouting in the kitchen ,cheers drinks.gif

Its been an all mendip non event aggressive.gif

Not seen a single flake this morning or any other ppn. Don't worry it will turn up once the wbfl rises and it is only conducive for rain... cray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Not seen a single flake this morning or any other ppn. Don't worry it will turn up once the wbfl rises and it is only conducive for rain... cray.gif

Not quite like your Met Office App forecast then! :p :p

I think we will cease to see much in the way of snowfall now as the WBFL is forecast to rise ahead of a trough sinking S/SE later;

post-12721-0-94260200-1360069011_thumb.j

This will bring rain and perhaps sleet to the highest of ground in the east of the region;

post-12721-0-88548700-1360069050_thumb.j

There are small pockets of moderately intense PPN forecast however during the early evening;

post-12721-0-77594300-1360069092_thumb.j

And with some reasonable velocity and vorticity associated with the trough;

post-12721-0-48054900-1360069132_thumb.jpost-12721-0-28019500-1360069139_thumb.j

Along with some shear;

post-12721-0-24359300-1360069163_thumb.jpost-12721-0-06671400-1360069170_thumb.j

I wouldn't rule out an isolated rumble of thunder or two. Perhaps some hail too;

post-12721-0-13168900-1360069231_thumb.j

Along with squally wind gusts associated with the trough, it could get quite blustery;

post-12721-0-46531200-1360069299_thumb.j

Looking into the next couple of days ahead, its looking rather quiet for us currently. Although some convective activity might appear, I suspect cool and reasonably sunny will be more common. Will refrain from looking into the weekend for now as its a very complicated set up that requires a little more than just SLP and 850hpa charts.

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

You did witness some very early morning flakes though Mull. blum.gif

Posted

Have had 3 heavy showers all in a row in the last hour, rain/hail and some proper big flakes of snow, didnt come to anything but at least i have seen big flakes coming down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Regarding Sunday, I just thought I would copy this from the Met Office 5-15 day summary;

"Sunday will likely see spells of rain and sleet in western areas spreading southeast across England and Wales. There is an increasing risk of some significant snowfall in places, particularly over higher ground, but also to some lower-levels."

Interesting for some of us I feel, especially the further north and east and higher up in the region. To me that is an upgrade on previous summaries though as they now mention 'significant snowfall".

Moving on into next week and the Met Office say this;

"Any remaining rain or snow in southern areas clearing away through Monday. Then most areas dry, bright and cold with overnight frosts and an ongoing risk of icy stretches."

Suggesting it could remain on the cold side but drier. The return of frosts will be welcome, haven't had many lately.

Then they go on to say this;

"Probably turning more unsettled again from mid-week with outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow spreading southeastwards. Perhaps becoming a little less cold but staying rather unsettled for the remainder of the period, with an ongoing risk of sleet and snow, especially across higher ground."

Not ruling out further sleet and snow, especially on high ground which again, to me is an upgrade on previous summaries. Might not be snowmaggedon for all, but a long way from mild either.

Posted

Cold, crisp but dry day here in central Bristol.

Be nice to see a decent snowfall with ice days from the weekend but looks dodgy to me.

Meto updates seem to indicate more of a wintry mix for the West and South west next week. The weather pattern reminds me more of end Feb/early March when Winter's on its last legs, so to speak.

I know some of us had a couple of decent falls the other week but it was condensed into the one week/10 days.

SO FAR, it's been a typically average winter for the UK imo, with a defo North/East bias for colder, snowier. Not mild by any means, but it just feels like the West/south west has been left on the 'wrong side' too often this winter with just fleeting 'glimpses' of colder, snowy weather.

Here's hoping for a 'biggie' on Sunday/Monday with a return visit from a 'slider' later next week.

Posted

Just had my second shower of soft hail and snow with some pretty big flakes on the front and rear edges of the most recent shower good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day after tomorrow.

Regarding Sunday, I just thought I would copy this from the Met Office 5-15 day summary;

"Sunday will likely see spells of rain and sleet in western areas spreading southeast across England and Wales. There is an increasing risk of some significant snowfall in places, particularly over higher ground, but also to some lower-levels."

Interesting for some of us I feel, especially the further north and east and higher up in the region. To me that is an upgrade on previous summaries though as they now mention 'significant snowfall".

"Any remaining rain or snow in southern areas clearing away through Monday. Then most areas dry, bright and cold with overnight frosts and an ongoing risk of icy stretches."

Suggesting it could remain on the cold side but drier. The return of frosts will be welcome, haven't had many lately.

"Probably turning more unsettled again from mid-week with outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow spreading southeastwards. Perhaps becoming a little less cold but staying rather unsettled for the remainder of the period, with an ongoing risk of sleet and snow, especially across higher ground."

Not ruling out further sleet and snow, especially on high ground which again, to me is an upgrade on previous summaries. Might not be snowmaggedon for all, but a long way from mild either.

The met always seem to underplay the potential so there's allways hope :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Well I've seen 3 fairly beefy showers now cross over late morning early afternoon, nothing settled but was a good watch, everything from Sleet, hail and momentary fairly heavy snow,but NO Rain, which is always nice good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Well that was a lovely suprise earlier, had 2 types of wontry showers, first one was a heavy soft hail and snow shower :D Then the 2nd was just proper snow, with lovely big flakes and then as it moved away there was a flash of lightning and distant rumble of thunder too :D

Posted

Nice one AWD, I haven't read it yet but that is now eight consecutive days with the word SNOW being mentioned in their analysis. I think we can safely say we are in for quite a cold February and hopefully more SNOW on the way, at least for some. clapping.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

earlier in Costa Del Poole

post-16760-0-02307900-1360071814_thumb.j

Edited by karlos1983

Posted

earlier in Costa Del Poole

That's what you call hard evidence that it can and does SNOW in Dorset on occasion. acute.gif

Posted

Not a bad day all in all, mostly sunny with a few wintry showers, very windy still but temps are not down as much as i thought they would be. Think the most intense showers have missed me nothing showing on radar now.

Looks like the weather will slowly improve as the week goes on. Temp wise it has not been a bad Jan or Feb considering the amount of snow that has fallen. The last few years we were seeing temps of -12 -15, think we got down to -5 for one night only. Only talking of my area not anywhere else.

Kaz

Edited by kaz