Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Car park skull 'was that of King Richard III' say experts

frogesque

Posted

Car park skull 'was that of King Richard III' say experts

Researchers said there is a 'highly conclusive case' that the battle-damaged remains found in a Leicester car park belonged to the 15th-century monarch.

More from Yahoo News:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/richard-iii--leicester-car-park-skull-is-that-of-medieval-monarch-100132929.html#546EFPu

A 'colouful' King but was he portrayed darker than the reality of the times? Perhaps we shall get to understand even more about his rise. reign and final fall at Bosworth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_III_of_England

Note: I've put this in Space and Science rather than Serious Discussion but if Mods feel it's better placed elsewhere then please move

Amazing discovery really, don't miss the documentary about it on Channel 4 at 9pm tonight.

I would be nice if they gave him a Catholic funeral and burial in York which is what he said he wanted. He has been unfairly treated by history I think, he was the last of his Plantagenet line and the Tudors did a right hatchet job on him. The last King to lead the line and die in battle, you can't deny his courage. I'd like to see one our PM's offer to do that.

Edited by Bobby

Posted

Amazing discovery really, don't miss the documentary about it on Channel 4 at 9pm tonight.

I would be nice if they gave him a Catholic funeral and burial in York which is what he said he wanted. He has been unfairly treated by history I think, he was the last of his Plantagenet line and the Tudors did a right hatchet job on him. The last King to lead the line and die in battle, you can't deny his courage. I'd like to see one our PM's offer to do that.

Yes, it must at least enter the local bishops mind that he will bury the king in a church the tutors setup. Just saying it's getting worse for Richard in some ways. Let the Cistercian priests bury him In York? Or put him back where they found him.

Posted

From the news last night it seems moves are afoot to re-bury Richard III in Leicester Cathedral. No wonder he turned in his grave!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20116118

Whilst I have no religious convictions his wish was to be burried at York and I also feel it would be appropriate to have a Catholic service.

That aside, this has been a fantastic piece of multidiciplinarny detective work and hopefully a re investigation of his life will reveal more about the man inside the King rather than the Tudor and especially Shakesperian hatchet job done on him. He really does need a new PR department.

From the news last night it seems moves are afoot to re-bury Richard III in Leicester Cathedral. No wonder he turned in his grave!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-20116118

Whilst I have no religious convictions his wish was to be burried at York and I also feel it would be appropriate to have a Catholic service.

That aside, this has been a fantastic piece of multidiciplinarny detective work and hopefully a re investigation of his life will reveal more about the man inside the King rather than the Tudor and especially Shakesperian hatchet job done on him. He really does need a new PR department.

Actually thinking of it he would have already had a Catholic burial by the Franciscans who buried him in that chapel. So I suppose if we was re-interred in protestant Leicester Cathedral then that wouldn't be so bad.

It was originally a Catholic cathedral anyway as they all were. That's where his memorial stone is too.

Edited by Bobby

Posted

I did, very good! But there's more:

Now researchers are looking for TWO MORE lost kings: Archeologists prepare to dig up Alfred the Great and Henry I

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2273773/Now-researchers-looking-TWO-lost-kings-Alfred-Great-Henry-I.html#ixzz2K1ruaxbo

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Would like to see Queen give permission for Anne Boleyns bones to be examined and if found reconstruction of her facial features,

The face of Richard 111

post-18298-0-19546400-1360078680_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Why don't they just throw them in a field somewhere; just like what happened to the many victims of their egotistical campaigns?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Would like to see Queen give permission for Anne Boleyns bones to be examined and if found reconstruction of her facial features,

The face of Richard 111

I was most interested to see how they did the face reconstruction ..

by computer model these days, rather than by hand with clay.

"The facial reconstruction was produced on the assumption that the remains were unknown and portraits of Richard III were not used as reference.

"When the 3D digital bust was complete it was replicated in plastic using a rapid prototyping system and this was painted, prosthetic eyes added and dressed with a wig, hat and clothing."

Prof Wilkinson said the Dundee team artist, Janice Aitken, only used the portraits of Richard III at this stage as reference for hair style and colour, eye colour, skin colour and clothing.

The team estimated the end result was as accurate as possible.

"Our facial reconstruction methods have been blind tested many times using living subjects and we know that we can expect that approximately 70% of the facial surface should have less than 2mm of error," said Prof Wilkinson.

I enjoyed the whole programme last night.

Quite some characters involved !

B. :)

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

How about interning him in Lancaster - chuckle chuckle