Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 05/02/13 08 -------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Hmmm I'm not sure why there is such a difference, DP is still dropping now -1.2 temp is still 2.7 ??

It could well be the stagnation of the air trapped in the Glen Almond and the higher humidity in proximity to the river Ally. You will get better mixing of the air at your level.

Humidity dropping rapidly now, down to 86% with DP fallen to +1.1C though the temperature is still climbing, 3,2C (+0.2C/hour).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

thats the spirit TIM glass half full smile.png it has been frustrating but at the sametime we have had lots of "thrills of the chase" and lots of snow falling just not always lying and I have actually had several excellent days of sledging with kids so all in all I would pretty much take this most winters and we have a wee bit left yet...

overnight still got potential (said that a few times this winter i know )

Depending on the contents of the said glass Edo, the fact that it is half full may be the reason for the optimism! drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

HS I think your location is anomalously warm, probably due to being right on sea level and being very near the Tay. The Howe of Fife is often similarly warm but in certain setups can actually sit a degree or two below temperatures elsewhere (eg with southerly winds in place). Anyway, currently 3.2/0.6C in Freuchie with again relatively little precipitation but from last night it looked like it would hit north of the forth very heavily into the evening and overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder any extreme weather

Sleet here at the moment, keeps on going between light snow and then sleet. Wasn't expecting anything here today after looking at meto and bbc but who knows??...

Posted

HS I think your location is anomalously warm, probably due to being right on sea level and being very near the Tay. The Howe of Fife is often similarly warm but in certain setups can actually sit a degree or two below temperatures elsewhere (eg with southerly winds in place). Anyway, currently 3.2/0.6C in Freuchie with again relatively little precipitation but from last night it looked like it would hit north of the forth very heavily into the evening and overnight.

Yes LS we appear to have a micro-climate here where we can be the coldest anywhere to 30 miles radius on a frosty night and where we hold on to lying snow after it has disappeared elsewhere.

Concomitantly in marginal setups we just can't get those temps. down enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Hmmm I'm not sure why there is such a difference, DP is still dropping now -1.2 temp is still 2.7 ??

Just noticed when in HS weather station site if you scroll arond the map can find other nearby weather stations

clathymore is 1.6/0.8

carse of gowrie 2.8/-1.2

balmyre 1.2/0.2

crieff 1.6/-0.9

real variation in dewpoint temps to surface temps across that small selection but Allys still seems abnormally low..... not sure the 100m or so altitude difference have such a large effect?

edit HS explains possibility :)

lol HS yes if half full of whisky and its a pint glass its optimistic

Edited by edodfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Snow still steady here, light now versus very light earlier today, at present and no signs of it settling at all ground very wet.

Here is our low elongating itself across the west of the UK, wonder what suprises are in store this evening when it drops and pivots.

http://meteocentre.c...〈=en&map=UK

Couple of mid afternoon charts from NMM identified the spilt as earlier than currently shown, on twitter Ian F mentioned about 60% accuracy for NAE projections and awaiting the 12z updated, if the MOGREPS charts appear will link them in here.

Intensity perhaps key here to what actually delivers as a decent snowfall around the marginal rain / sleet / snow areas..

post-7292-0-79103500-1360494503_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-51926900-1360494507_thumb.pn

post-7292-0-87946300-1360494513_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-78271500-1360494521_thumb.pn

If you are on the Net Wx radar remember there is a social radar function for UK Tweets to add a pin to the map for snow or not snow reports.. Sometimes quite a comical read !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

Was heavy sleet here but it has now turned to snow and is starting to lie on the roads.

Posted

Steady light snow continuing but not settling. Doesn't look like it will either anytime soon. Wind picking up. Fingers crossed for later on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Light dusting of snow overnight and has snowed all morning but it's too wet to be accumulating, just getting a nice layer of slush.

Posted

Well... looking like yet another busted flush for here I'm afraid... I agree with others that (apart from some areas like Falkirk), we always seem to miss the jackpot here this year!

We've had basically one decent day (and to give it it's due, it was excellent!), and nothing serious apart from that...

Looking on the positive side, this has been about 200% better than last year, so I suppose we shouldn't be complaining!

Tim

Yeah, that is right - similar here. I think relative to last winter then really cant complain I think most/all of us have seen snow on the ground, and actually here it has been on the ground for many days/week at a time. Considering our Atlantic hot water bottle then quite notable.

Anyway, all of Feb, March AND April to look forward to yet - more to look forward to than to look back on!

Thick flakes falling just now - actually it is starting to lie. mmm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Wee bit of light snaw here in Carrbridge. Main band of prep not far to the SW and is teasingly drawing closer. If it reaches here, will be snaw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Rain now turning to steady sleet.....temp 1.7c. Dp 1.4 c. Both slowly falling.....thoroughly miserable morning so far with brisk winds from ENE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Snow has just turned much drier and accumulating better now!

these reports are very encouraging....I wonder if the upper air is proving colder than modelled...either way reports of proper snow and dry snow fill me with cheer

Posted

If it was colder there would probably be a pretty decent accumulation building here by now as it's still going and getting heavier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Sleet with the odd snowflake para making it to the deck here. Zero prospect of any of it lying until it turns a wee bit colder. Currently 2.5ºC/2ºC.

Meanwhile, in Londonshire later today...

post-736-0-12338200-1360497861_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Light sleet since I got up at half 10.