Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 10/02/13 17z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

PS to Tony - you should add your Twitter feed to your list of links in your auto-signature.....

Done!

Posted

Very poor again in Nottingham this weekend, rained basically all day yesterday until finally turning wintry around 9pm, very light covering this morning but virtually all gone now. Another disappointment given the potential for heavy snowfall for us in the East Midlands as close to the event as saturday. Just didn't happen for Nottingham at least

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I hope this isn't to much off topic.

I am thinking of getting a wireless pc weather station thing, for my garden, do any of you have any opinions/advice as to what works well for the price. There is a huge choice on the market, it's a bit confusing

Snow is melting fast on the roads here and the temperature is currently 0.9c It's all a bit of a slushy mess, but at least we've had a good slice of the cake this year :-) can't really complain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Very poor again in Nottingham this weekend, rained basically all day yesterday until finally turning wintry around 9pm, very light covering this morning but virtually all gone now. Another disappointment given the potential for heavy snowfall for us in the East Midlands as close to the event as saturday. Just didn't happen for Nottingham at least

This time yesterday my thoughts you would get pasted and the west midlands would get sleet wet snow at the best

just shows how hard it is to forecast snow fingers crossed for weds

Posted

Davis Vantage Vue excellent if you dont mind an all in one WS, price £300.

Very accurate temps and rain, and wind if you stick it high up.

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

5-6cms in the end for Heath Hayes, did well in the early hours from the se streamer. Intermittent light snow all morning at work in edgbaston.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Davis Vanatge Vue excellent if you dont mind an all in one WS, price £300.

Very accurate temps and rain, and wind if you stick it high up.

eew, a little more pricy than I was hoping, but the accuracy is what matters, especially if your going to share your reading online. I'm sure I can get my husband to find a good location and place it somewhere high up for me :-)

Posted

Got about 2cm here in Telford in the end, the heavy stuff stayed south of here, still looks very nice though even if its thawing now.

From the looks of the charts that's it for this winter now, the usual Mid February tropical blasts seem to be gearing up again next week :lol:

Posted

Well cannot complain about last nights event ended up with about 6cm. In all honesty, I'm looking for a gradual warm up now. Nice warm spring sunshine to warm the old bones. Lol

Posted

Really interesting to see the regional variances. Drove 9 miles to work into Nottingham, had 2-3 inches at home but almost nothing once I reached Wollaton!

Posted

It really was bizarre because you would have though we in the East would have done well out of it but it appears further west was best for the snow, it really was frustrating as we had heavy rain all day which had it fell as snow would have given us a really good covering. Just wasn't meant to be.

Not really too bothered about Wednesday because as regards any snow at best it will be short lived, if it must get milder I just hope its also a lot drier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

yes weds maybe short lived and they do say that most of the snow will be up north

but like yesterday they said most of the snow would be in the east

and look what happened so you never know?

Posted

I know its annoying. Even though the undercut is pretty much without a chance now, if it digs further south to at least pull in colder dew points we could see some very heavy snow for a time before the eventual warm up. As things Stand its probably 50/50 if we see any snow at all from it. At roughly +66 plenty of time for things to improve

You might be right you know cos the gem model shows practically a all snow event!!do we trust that model though?😚

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Yes the GEM is the last bastion of hope for cold and snow fans wanting to see the current spell extend past Wednesday. It's the only model that takes the front south east as opposed to east, keeping the uk in an easterly regime. It also brings deeper cold back into Scandi later in the run so it really is a good run. Unfortunately no other model agrees with it and at t72 cant see it being right. That said I am a bit surprised the Atlantic is being shown to stroll in so easily given the weakening jet and strength of the high in comparison to January.

Posted

the melt doesn't seem as quick as I was expecting still full cover on grass that's untouched and on roofs facing into the snow last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Had 3cms back home, but town centre, not even a smattering! expecting to arrive home to a full thaw though, time of year thawing snow, not mild airstream/atlantic

Posted

the melt doesn't seem as quick as I was expecting still full cover on grass that's untouched and on roofs facing into the snow last night.

same here in oadby hardly anythings melted except for main roads!!temp has been close to zero all day

Posted

Interesting..latest nae has slightly more of an undercut on wednesday afternoon with excellent dew points and thicknesses!!might just delay the inevitable though!!

Edit:just taken a look at the precipitation charts and there is defo snowfall on the leading edge of the system!!hopefully upgrades from now on!!

Edited by shaky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Interesting..latest nae has slightly more of an undercut on wednesday afternoon with excellent dew points and thicknesses!!might just delay the inevitable though!!

Edit:just taken a look at the precipitation charts and there is defo snowfall on the leading edge of the system!!hopefully upgrades from now on!!

Yeah, looks quite snowy for a time, but less cold air following, full model agreement on that, but at least looking settled next week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i don't think this winter is just done with us just yet. I have a fieling that we will get another cold snowy sbell before feb's out, not only that but the met's going for a mid month cold sbell too. Like some of u guys been saying the jet's week and there for the atlantic can't just barge in like that.

Posted

Itd be nice to see some northeast America style snow fall even if it did later rain n get washed away. :D of course it would need many more upgrades yet

Posted

Itd be nice to see some northeast America style snow fall even if it did later rain n get washed away. :D of course it would need many more upgrades yet

and only 48hours to go, it is of course possible, seems like a gfs upgrade too Edited by Staffordshire

Posted

and only 48hours to go, it is of course possible, seems like a gfs upgrade too

Yup just checked the gfs looking good for a spell of heavy snowfall across england on wednesday evening!!the night helping to lower our temperatures aswell!

Posted

Yup just checked the gfs looking good for a spell of heavy snowfall across england on wednesday evening!!the night helping to lower our temperatures aswell!

the temps in the evening will be higher because of the cloud cover, i think you mean evap cooling?