Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 17th March 2013 18:30>

Snowangel-MK

It just looks rather disjointed on the radar, with the 'curl' due east of Newcastle broadly in the same position as the analysis front's western end was at 5pm (which to my mind would make more sense). It sort of makes sense though, cheers, the front curl is now D+G southwards with the rest to the east of here feeding in and that curl out in the North Sea will at some point 'link on' when it reaches land.

The curl to the east of Newcastle has some slightly warmer uppers wrapped round it, as high as -6ºC. I hope that's still snow, that's the pesky warm sector which has been showing in the models for a few days.

Edit: Thanks for reposting that LSS :good:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The curl to the east of Newcastle has some slightly warmer uppers wrapped round it, as high as -6ºC. I hope that's still snow, that's the pesky warm sector which has been showing in the models for a few days.

Yeah, it's a risk, not sure if it's worth taking (it almost never is) but we have to gamble on it anyway. Uppers will get up to about that for your area but you'll cope with your elevation, boundary between -6C and -10C becomes very sharp through tomorrow and I have a horrible feeling it might end up being the Forth that divides the two but we'll see.

Pepping up a little, temperature starting to decrease a little bit in town (2C to 1C at 'Edinburgh City' on wunderground) and threatening to lie on tarmac now, once again.

This event wouldn't have played out any differently in January or December with the same profile for all those who are visitors to the thread, absolutely classic marginal Arctic sourced easterly profile with a frontal unknown chucked in for good measure.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

snowing here again all the wee patches that had melted on the roads are turning white again

Yeah, it's a risk, not sure if it's worth taking (it almost never is) but we have to gamble on it anyway. Uppers will get up to about that for your area but you'll cope with your elevation, boundary between -6C and -10C becomes very sharp through tomorrow and I have a horrible feeling it might end up being the Forth that divides the two but we'll see.

Pepping up a little, temperature starting to decrease a little bit in town (2C to 1C at 'Edinburgh City' on wunderground) and threatening to lie on tarmac now, once again.

I'm still not convinced it won't turn wet rather than white at some point here, dunno why, can't get away from the feeling. Regardless of that it is still pretty remarkable for March, plus the outlook is hardly wildly mild in the next several days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Hoping for good snowfall/dumping through the night as LS says he thinks main band to around early hours just hope Central Belt gets in the firing line.

Posted

After watching my team lose a cup final yesterday these snowstorms have really cheered me up.

I teach in West Lothian so fingers crossed for a snow day tomorrow! :)

Edited by berginis

I've only seen a full house of heavy snow symbols on the Met-O forecast once before, and that was eight weeks ago. Surely they can't be wrong? ( rofl.gif )

post-2844-0-29603600-1363652043_thumb.pn

I do feel bad for the people who are going to miss out though, I've been the one missing out often enough to know how it feels. If we do get a pasting I will make the most of it for others less fortunate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Thundersnow, possibly, in Freuchie now. So far nothing confirmed by the NW lightning map but since it corroborates with Dundee reports it might not just be the bins getting taken outrofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Still on off here with only a couple of cm....the showers losing intensity even between Dundee and here it would seem....and no thundersnow here....didn't expect to be doing so much snow watching in march though....given I first seen snow on October 26th this winter it's pretty special to still be seeing it 6mths later...love to get a fall on Mar 26 for some symmetry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Local radar looks good but local reality not matching it. Blowy lamp-post snow, streets wet, raw and dismal. Waste of time in this part o'toun.

Posted

Local radar looks good but local reality not matching it. Blowy lamp-post snow, streets wet, raw and dismal. Waste of time in this part o'toun.

Similar story, though not quite as bleak, snow holding on the surfaces it was before and had a brief forray onto the hard surfaces but basically wet there still.

Anyway, I'm offski, hope things hold or improve temperature wise and that the front delivers big time overnight.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Snow showers on and off here since 4pm. Snow lying on the tops of cars, huts and slightly on the grass but nothing else. Need a prolonged heavy shower to get everything white.

I was going to like this, but I don't like it, so haven't bothered...if that makes sense by-tor?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

I know Catch. If you said you liked it then obviously we would had a cyber-pagger !

Aye, we need another category other than "like" ... someone might get hurt one day LOL...

I was going to like this, but I don't like it, so haven't bothered...if that makes sense by-tor?

Posted

moderate snow on here again with not too bad size flakes

looks like things starting to come in a little more easterly on the radar now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Ok, so it's the much maligned occasionally accurate BBC 5-dayer, but it's mid-March & the 'Spring' Equinox is tomorrow - this is mental!

It is the WWE (Winter Without End) - thank you, CODSAC!

post-736-0-10379000-1363654379_thumb.jpg

Posted

if the ppn keeps up this might be the start of the fun time around central areas and maybe seeing some stuff getting west

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Somewhat O/T, but last Wednesday evening after a fine day up here, giving way to clear skies and frost, I went out into the fields and nabbed this.

Time for a new game of 'Spot the Comet':

post-736-0-15294100-1363654875_thumb.jpg

PS: Still snawing & blawing.

Edited by Polar Gael 2

Posted

steady snow falling here now and everything is getting covered

Posted

Somewhat O/T, but last Wednesday evening after a fine day up here, giving way to clear skies and frost, I went out into the fields and nabbed this.

Great pic... I can see Panstarrs just above the trees ! Outstanding

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Great pic Polar Gael, spotted the comet - easier when you save the pic and zoom in a little !

Time to retire - a great evening of blustery snow. Radar is still rammed with showers as they continue to pour in, really only slight interludes here. Easily the best snow of the season, only eclipsed by that ferocious westerly.

Worth linking this for those thinking about driving about later http://trafficscotland.org/livetrafficcameras/

Stay safe folks !