Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Alba Regional Discussion 20/03/13 21z ------>

A.J

Posted

Right so basically (if somebody can clue me up) we are in a situation here where the snow may hit or may not hit us..................but instead of milder air winning the cold will win out again?

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

Right so basically (if somebody can clue me up) we are in a situation here where the snow may hit or may not hit us..................but instead of milder air winning the cold will win out again?

yeah thats exactly right

how far the front moves in isnt decided yet tomorrow will tell alot but no matter what happens with the front the winds are going to turn from the east again so we dont lose the cold

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

A snowy morning here. All surfaces white and fairly heavy snow falling.

Posted

Cold and clear this morning currently -6c. Ground rock hard Remaining snow patches solid ice now and will probably last till the end of the month. Quite something!!

Posted

Nothing overnight except the odd very light flurry. Hardest frost for a while and currently about -3c.

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long snowy winters, fresh spring, balmy summers, and cool crispy autumns

Good coverage in glenrothes. Hav to say a92 is already a nitemare with two crashes within 5 miles n reports of black ice on approach to all roundabouts.

Maybe the customers ive had recently r regrettn swappn back to summer tyres early this morning...

Posted

I think its becoming clear this morning that the front will reach Dumfries and Galloway and parts of Ayrshire where there should be some heavy snow. Whats not settled is how far north its effects will go. I dont think there is the big shift south this morning that many on the model thread were predicting although that could still happen. GFS snow prediction for 6pm Friday looks good but still subject to shifts.

post-9135-0-08655200-1363849625_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stratosphere, Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, Snow Prediction

Chaos into Dyce this morning, showers just as people head off into work, roads not cleared/gritted. Massive jams.

Edited by FrenchScotPilot1

Posted

A good inch or so of cracking snow here in glenrothes, was not expecting that ,still snowing. -1 at the moment.

Posted

I think its becoming clear this morning that the front will reach Dumfries and Galloway and parts of Ayrshire where there should be some heavy snow. Whats not settled is how far north its effects will go. I dont think there is the big shift south this morning that many on the model thread were predicting although that could still happen. GFS snow prediction for 6pm Friday looks good but still subject to shifts.

Steve Murr seems bullish it wont reach Scotland at all but as we saw last time I'd expect convection to the north of the main band, just how much and where according to the wind direction

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stratosphere, Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, Snow Prediction

Simon Cardy tweeted: potential major snowfall parts UK Fri & weekend. map gives early indication of possible snow to 0900 Sat

https://twitter.com/weather_king/status/314640181712023552/photo/1

Posted

Morning all, for the fifth morning this winter a light covering of snow here in Crail. As on all the other occasions not enough to measure but enough to turn the ground white!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Very cold and very bright this morning, good to read of sneaky showers dialling in overnight. Just hard to believe it is March when looking at this temperature map of overnight minimums. Nearly into double digit cold and a range of c.15 degrees across the UK from the South West corner up to the Cairngorms.

post-7292-0-93072700-1363852719_thumb.pn

Another day of pin the tail on the donkey for positioning of the front then !! Here is a GIF of how NMM sees it this morning. North Eastward progression then stalls bang on mid-day and decays providing a pasting. Imagine Amber alerts will go up today for 20-30 cm of snow in some areas.

post-7292-0-50314100-1363852529_thumb.gi

All is not lost beyond the main front, Looks like snow during the day here tomorrow.

post-7292-0-89792500-1363852530_thumb.pn

Great weather watching and hard to imagine March not being some kind of record breaker with these synoptics.

Posted

A couple of cm's here. Looks nice and all but I have to confess my model watching is now for spring warmth! Not really had that much snow here to "normal", but like everywhere been cold for too long! Was it not this time last year we were hitting the 20c's?!

Steve Murr seems bullish it wont reach Scotland at all but as we saw last time I'd expect convection to the north of the main band, just how much and where according to the wind direction

We might see something ahead of the main band, maybe another snake from the south like the streamer on the 18th of January? It's going to be a cracking couple of days watching it all unfold, this is what weather watching is all about. Fingers crossed for the snow starved south-west of Scotland, plus parts of Ireland. If anyone deserves a dumping of snow it's these areas, plus the usual suspects around Falkirk, Edinburgh & St. Andrews smile.png Not saying the front will reach the latter three, but that these areas deserve something!

The temperature fell to -7.6ºC here last night so the snow is frozen solid. The sun is at work on the top layer already, but the snowcover should survive the day only partially melted good.gif

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

I'm amazed at how much cover persists here from the snow earlier this week. Mostly gone from hard surfaces but back garden still about 95% cover. The front is about 75%. Depth has decreased obviously but March snow is meant to be gone by lunchtime right? wink.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

We might see something ahead of the main band, maybe another snake from the south like the streamer on the 18th of January? It's going to be a cracking couple of days watching it all unfold, this is what weather watching is all about. Fingers crossed for the snow starved south-west of Scotland, plus parts of Ireland. If anyone deserves a dumping of snow it's these areas, plus the usual suspects around Falkirk, Edinburgh & St. Andrews smile.png Not saying the front will reach the latter three, but that these areas deserve something!

The temperature fell to -7.6ºC here last night so the snow is frozen solid. The sun is at work on the top layer already, but the snowcover should survive the day only partially melted good.gif

Do you think there will be much in the way of convection on that stiff easterly wind both before and after the frontal event?

Do you think there will be much in the way of convection on that stiff easterly wind both before and after the frontal event?

You would need to ask someone like LomondSS for a definitive answer, but I am expecting that there will be something coming in off the North Sea in the strong breeze.

Posted

Another very wintry looking morning here - and it sounds like that goes for a wide area along the east coast. Judith's 'wintry flurries' have proved to be quite potent!

Even if we get no more snow here before the end of the month - which I think is unlikely - this is already a memorable spell for March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Can vary I guess. Seen snow lying about in the shade for a few days even in April in urban Leith near me (in tree-shaded north facing side of London Road/Royal Terrace Gardens). As long as the sun doesn't get to it, and all other temperature, wind factors are in favour, then it can sit there for days.

I'm amazed at how much cover persists here from the snow earlier this week. Mostly gone from hard surfaces but back garden still about 95% cover. The front is about 75%. Depth has decreased obviously but March snow is meant to be gone by lunchtime right? wink.png

Posted

You would need to ask someone like LomondSS for a definitive answer, but I am expecting that there will be something coming in off the North Sea in the strong breeze.

You would think, esp from Sat lunch onwards that under -10 uppers in a stiff E/SE feed we would see showers in the East at least

Echo the hope those in SW Scotland see something from the front

Ian F talking up 75cm in N Wales wacko.png

Edited by JoeShmoe