Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 20/03/13 22z ------>

A.J

Posted

How high are you HC,cos everything including the main road is covered here completely,like other people have said,it's not very heavy,but at least it's not cold rain,i can live with thatsmile.png

also just had a quick check on depth on wheelie bin(3")

67m here. A cm or 2 at most here laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

These posters posting that they are getting sleet or nothing at all,chill will ya,the front will head south tomorrow with even colder air behind it,that will increase the snow chances for them lower elevations,if you don't get any snow,unlucky,i feel for ya.

Posted

Maybe this is a sweet spot but it's literally hammering it down with snow it's been moderate in intensity for hours now,

Orographic snowfall perhaps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Nothing like that here. The flakes are so tiny they might as well not be falling. If this continues until lunchtime tomorrow, I expect about 3cm.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Its crazy that you're only 5-6miles away from here yet theres at least a foot on the wheelie bin and its been snowing constantly since 3am Fri morning.

you are 138m above me lol!,i will be heading up warncliffe tomorrow on i think it's called woodhead rd,to take daughter sledging after work,i suspect there is some good drifts up your way.

Posted

Well the snow isn't as deep as I would hope, though I'm going to measure it shortly and take some pics.

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

67m here. A cm or 2 at most here laugh.png

Whats your take on proceedings now HC ? Whats the front going to do next and what position will it put our region in?

Posted

Nothing like that here. The flakes are so tiny they might as well not be falling. If this continues until lunchtime tomorrow, I expect about 3cm.

Ha Ha Ha

I told you to chill and have a beer earlier

I have had lots and am enjoying the snow falling and building up!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Well i see no intensification, just more decay. Quite confused as the models predicted a pivot and push south. No sign of that from what i can see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's the first time since lunchtime that I've been seeing more than the odd flake- still just light snow at the moment though.

Posted

Whats your take on proceedings now HC ? Whats the front going to do next and what position will it put our region in?

It's just looking like more of the same tbh, the front hasn't intensfied our area of precipitation as much as I'd thought.

So it will be hours and hours of light snow to low levels and light/moderate snow higher levels. Obviously with intermittent heavier bursts.

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

Nothing all day here either. Even now as this weak area of precipitation is approaching its disappearing from the radar. It seems ironic that in an easterly cold spell, the majority of the areas that are missing out so far are in the east!

Posted

It's the first time since lunchtime that I've been seeing more than the odd flake- still just light snow at the moment though.

I am glad that you are getting some snow then TWS,just looked at the radar,looks like you have started in the ppn traingood.gif

Posted

Well my original fears are probably coming to fruition, a big fat nonevent from my perspective. Good if you live in Huddersfield or Penistone. I think the removal of the amber warnings are in order, the current rate of snowfall shouldn't even warrant a yellow warning.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

There is a wild card out there though If anyone wants a straw to clutch? spiteful.gif

The front is currently in a line sitting north west ~ south east. If this can pivot and become east to west, just maybe as it becomes alligned with the easterly wind, the precipitation will become more concentrated in one area (like a streamer) as it's constantly been channeled east to west in the easterly flow.

Posted

A bit of perspective - a foot of snow in NE Wales. Kind of hard to get excited about the possibility of 12 - 14 hours of light snowfall when these are the scenes, and these aren't high elevation scenes either.

11jrnkx.jpg

Edited by Aaron

Posted

My god,IF this was heavier wee'd all have been buried lol,maybe the block to the NE has killed it.

Posted

Moderate fine powdery snow blowing in the wind and surprisingly it is accumulating fast here at 50m!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

you are 138m above me lol!,i will be heading up warncliffe tomorrow on i think it's called woodhead rd,to take daughter sledging after work,i suspect there is some good drifts up your way.

Just past Wortley at Wharncliffe Woods, it'll be fun for you over there, take a drive down the road to Thurgoland, they always get it a bit worse than we do.

There'll be some nice drifting out near the woods as its open, i bet they're thigh deep, maybe even waist deep in places.

I hope the ploughs been down Woodhead Road for you, enjoy your sledging.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

The forecasts showed the wind changing to an easterly earlier on.

Posted

It's just looking like more of the same tbh, the front hasn't intensfied our area of precipitation as much as I'd thought.

So it will be hours and hours of light snow to low levels and light/moderate snow higher levels. Obviously with intermittent heavier bursts.

Cheers mate. So its going to keep feeding from the South then and not pivot at all?

Edit: Just read your post above about a possible pivot. good.gif

Edited by Machu Picchu