Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 23/03/13 08z ----->

A.J

Posted

Our lane this morning is even more blocked, no thawing yet the houses are still plastered.

post-634-0-70618600-1364130760_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Temp of 0.09° up here.. Just had a look on meto app and they have sheffield down for heavy snow between midnight and six a.m. There's a definite melt but the wind is catching the drips and turning them into ice.

Posted

Temperature is up at 3.7C here due to a surprising amount of sunshine, and nearly all of the snow has thawed- but there was just a patchy 1cm dusting at 0900 today so that is hardly a surprise. Reports from the snowier parts of the region are illustrating that a relatively deep, complete snow cover is capable of withstanding the strong late-March sun if temperatures and dew points are low enough.

Hoping that those easterlies become a bit more unstable during the coming week- could do with a bout of sunshine and snow showers to round off what has been a phenomenally cold spell for March.

The Met Office invent maps suggest showers pushing in later on lasting till tomorrow night, they look quite heavy with bands of showers delivering longer spells of snow.

6pm post-8968-0-92296900-1364132247_thumb.pn

3ampost-8968-0-90477500-1364132254_thumb.pn

5pmpost-8968-0-20418800-1364132264_thumb.pn

Not really sure which computer models these are based on, can't be the NAE.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - storms, tornadoes, snow

Not quite sure where the Met Office are getting the idea of heavy snow for my area tonight from 9pm to 3am. Based on the charts there could be some light snow showers along eastern coasts but nothing more than that.

EDIT: Cheese Rice just answered my question!

Edited by Cold Winter

Posted

Quite bright and the maximum was 2.2C, the wind is still shrieking though so very cold.

The light dusting of snow has gone, I think it sublimated as the air is quite dry.at 66%

Lots of snow around from previous events higher up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Temp risen up to 2° according to my weather station.. Wind chill is certainly lower brr .. Can't get an accurate wind speed due to the wall of trees blocking the wind :-(

Posted

Sun isnt melting the snow here. It's the wind that's moving all the snow to different locations!!! considerable drifting over the fields from where I live. It's moving it all towards the back garden blowing over the walls. Got videos of it. Amazing for 50m asl. 30-40mph gusts

Posted
Posted · Hidden by reef, March 24, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by reef, March 24, 2013 - No reason given

Exceptional that despite blaring sunshine for over an hour, there has been very little impact on the snow cover, everywhere is still white. Even the roofs have snow still and some icicles have not melted. Feels warm when the wind isn't blowing but that isn't often!

Temple Newsam was pretty wild with blowing snow lowering visibility at times, one of the roads has seen more snow 'accumulate' from the nearby fields. Cars were even slowing down as they probably couldn't see very well. The snow drifts continue to grow.

Absolute drivel......lot of melt going on in East Leeds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter
Posted · Hidden by reef, March 24, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by reef, March 24, 2013 - No reason given

Absolute drivel......lot of melt going on in East Leeds

How is it absoutely drivel when I am observing it with my own eyes, you absolute cretin? The snow and ice has melted off the pavements but remains on the grass pretty much as it was before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Just had a drive up to Peak District but had to turn back because roads were completely blocked by drifting Snow.

Posted

There is a alot of melting in low ground Leeds, this is mainly due to the varying depth, so some paths are thick while others are bone dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

The only snow melt we have at outibridge is where the sun is shining.Not any in the shade and icicles still remain frozen.Not much sign of any showers at all and non forecast on the bbc

Posted

Its worth remembering that the sun has quite a kick at this time of year. Technically its as strong as it is in September, the low air temps and negative dew points will help the snow cover in shaded areas.

I have friends up in Mirfiield that have drifts 6 feet high, here in Grimsby the 2 inch from yesterday morning has all but gone in most areas due to the sun although I still have a covering in shaded areas. Considering its late March this has been an exceptional event!

Edited by reef
Removed quoted post, cheers

Posted

No melting here where the snow is deep/compact so my snow depth should stay exactly the same today. Obviously narrow patchy areas exposed to the sun are slowly thawing a bit but you even get this in the alps, so I won't be losing sleep over it :D

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Hahaha,love it,just let my rabbit out for a run around the garden and he loved it,he was perched on top of the snow drifts!!He is now trying to make a burrow through the drifts!!

Cool, rabbits are ace pets, i've been contemplating getting one for a while now, always had them as a kid and now my sister lives next door her 18mnth old twins would love it.

You've helped me make my mind up, i'm getting a rabbit biggrin.png

Posted

The Met Office invent maps suggest showers pushing in later on lasting till tomorrow night, they look quite heavy with bands of showers delivering longer spells of snow.

6pm post-8968-0-92296900-1364132247_thumb.pn

3ampost-8968-0-90477500-1364132254_thumb.pn

5pmpost-8968-0-20418800-1364132264_thumb.pn

Not really sure which computer models these are based on, can't be the NAE.

I can see the potential Cheese R due to the strength of this E wind. Really is gusty up here.

Had to tie my snapped TV aerial with washing line type cable and feed it in to the bathroom window to stop it banging all nite like last nite!

Also why don't TV aerial Engineers work Sunday...wallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

MP,my kids like rabbits...................in a pie

rofl.gif The springer likes chasing them as well, hopefully he'll wear himself out chasing it around the house and garden so i wont need to take him

on the fields for hours at a time.

Posted

Certainly cloud building in East Leeds from where I can see up here.

Nothing on radar and may just be fair weather..!

Aaron - anything happening over your way?

Gotten a lot cloudier for sure in the past half hour. The sun is now hidden. Doubt it's anything of note other than typical fair weather cloud as you say. Hoping to get a dusting overnight though, could do with a top up.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

I can see the potential Cheese R due to the strength of this E wind. Really is gusty up here.

Had to tie my snapped TV aerial with washing line type cable and feed it in to the bathroom window to stop it banging all nite like last nite!

Also why don't TV aerial Engineers work Sunday...wallbash.gif

You be careful repairing that aerial, and dont take any cuddly toys on the roof with you, look what happened to Rod Hull whistling.gif

Posted

You be careful repairing that aerial, and dont take any cuddly toys on the roof with you, look what happened to Rod Hull whistling.gif

LOL laugh.png

Worry not matey. That's what Engineers and Churchil Insurance is for!.

Yeh poor Rod Hull. There's also the Alan Partridge funeral episode too with his boss who falls of the roof mending an aerial....Quality...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bYSV3OFYCQ

Edited by NW Leeds Russ

Posted

Definitely a few flakes falling here. Think your hunch may be correct Russ, the clouds that have developed above are rather dark, temperature has fallen a fair bit too.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

LOL laugh.png

Worry not matey. That's what Engineers and Churchil Insurance is for!.

Yeh poor Rod Hull. There's also the Alan Partridge funeral episode too with his boss who falls of the roof mending an aerial....Quality...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bYSV3OFYCQ

Santa is up on roofs every Christmas and never falls off. :)