Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

08/05/13 UK meteor event

Posted

Reports trickling in via Twitter of a long-duration meteor event over the skies of the UK, given estimated times it seems this object took 3 minutes to cross the length of the country and witnessed from Cornwall to Scotland.

Given its event duration and variable height estimate I would say either this was a sparsely-held meteor or more probobale a piece of space debris burning up from LEO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Ahh gutted I missed this. Only got in about 30 mins ago and its clear here in Falmouth, Cornwall. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Photo's already sure they'll be video soonbiggrin.png

Looks like space debris to me plus if it took 3 mins to burn up thats a big clue.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
Posted · Hidden by Polar Maritime, May 8, 2013 - last years...
Hidden by Polar Maritime, May 8, 2013 - last years...
Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Polar Maritime, May 9, 2013 - miss info
Hidden by Polar Maritime, May 9, 2013 - miss info

March meteor last year, no?

Keep missing events like tonight's. Shame.

Got the vid from here W09  http://inagist.com/all/332241288609030146/

It is dated 8th May, hopefully more info to come. Missed it myself to typical lol.. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
Posted
Posted · Hidden by Polar Maritime, May 9, 2013 - found real footage
Hidden by Polar Maritime, May 9, 2013 - found real footage

That's last year's meteor in March. Could tell straight away around one second in.

yes you are correct W09, I have been mis-informed sorry folks. I just found it on the net and was dated tonight, now vid has been leaked to be from last year as you say, I will delete it good.gif  

Posted

Posted

I wonder how many of these we miss due to our perpetually cloudy skies?

I seem to miss all of them.. Space scientist Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock said the phenomenon was likely to have been debris from Halley's Comet.

"It's quite likely to be part of the Eta Aquarids, which is the debris left by Halley's Comet.

"And twice a year we pass through the debris left behind by the comet and when this happens we see more of these shooting stars but there must have been a large lump left behind which is what caused such a bright meteor to be seen."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22460642

Spaceweather.com did warn of this yesterday..

Edited by Polar Maritime

hi i'm new here today - just to say i saw this event last night over Oxford around 9pm it was so low ( well seemed it) heading in a north west direction  & i saw it for around 15 seconds - which seemed like forever - it was amazing yet kinda scary too  as it was big & looked low & close, it had a massive tail & the 'ball' part was bright green - amazing :)

Posted

hi i'm new here today - just to say i saw this event last night over Oxford around 9pm it was so low ( well seemed it) heading in a north west direction  & i saw it for around 15 seconds - which seemed like forever - it was amazing yet kinda scary too  as it was big & looked low & close, it had a massive tail & the 'ball' part was bright green - amazing smile.png

Welcome to Netweather Kreuz, so you were one of the lucky one's to witness the meteor !

Edited by Polar Maritime

Also saw this event last night in Solihull West Mids.

I would guess around 21:40'ish.

It was to the South about 20deg above horizon and seemed to be going in an East-west direction and dropping towards the horizon.

Very bright green colour.

Have watched a few meteor showers over the years but never seen anything this bright.

Casually watching TV when it caught my eye. Very impressive.

Gary

Hello I am New on Here Too And I couldn't Believe what I saw Last Night I Live In Rock Ferry Birkenhead about 9:45ish

and I saw what looked like a Big fire ball fall for what was like 3 seconds not long at all

but absolutely filled me with amazement it was truly Wonderful I was In a car  when My friends just popped into the shop for some bread , when I looked out of the window there it was!!!!! Needless to say, when my friends got back in the car, they laughed, and was like yeah whatever smile.png hahahaha

Edited by linzi17

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hello I am New on Here Too And I couldn't Believe what I saw Last Night I Live In Rock Ferry Birkenhead about 9:45ish

and I saw what looked like a Big fire ball fall for what was like 3 seconds not long at all

but absolutely filled me with amazement it was truly Wonderful I was In a car  when My friends just popped into the shop for some bread , when I looked out of the window there it was!!!!! Needless to say, when my friends got back in the car, they laughed, and was like yeah whatever smile.png hahahaha

Wecome to the fourm.....I wouldn't of laughed!!!! i would of said you lucky sod, i always miss out wallbash.gif