Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why do you like storms?

I don't think that it is limited to storms. I get excited whenever we get severe weather, of any kind. I think it is partially due to the fact that most of the time we have very boring weather, so when something out of the ordinary happens, we tend to appreciate it a little bit more. Mother nature is just so unpredictable, it is quite awe-inspiring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

The last really good night storm I remember was Wednesday 13th September 2006. We had lightning and thunder going up to York early hours of that morning, and a corker of a storm when we got back to Norwich about 9:30/10 PM. Brilliant. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Guess its the awesome power of nature for me...love storms, have done since childhood in the early 70s and have been lucky to witness some fantastic ones, both here and abroad. The summer night time storms are some of the best, you can see the full effects of lightning and really hear the different tones of the thunder as the world outside is so quiet. Such a shame the awful last few summers have become so storm less, the best storms were always after some lovely hot sunny days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

maybe you wont like it too much if you got close enough,i remember one evening walking home over a hilltop in the dark in the 90's was pitch black,torrential rain then FLASH,BANG,FLASH ,BANG,FLASH,BANG,when you get a flash ,bang with no time gap you know the storm is right on top of you ,DAYLIGHT,PITCH BLACK.DAYLIGHT,PITCH BLACK.On the crest of the hilltop,200 yards from where my granddad was struck 40 years earlier...the most scared I've been in all my life!!!!

Posted

maybe you wont like it too much if you got close enough....

Worked the other way for me.... was in mortal fear of storms as a kid, a trait inherited from and perpetuated by my mother, 'til one day when (foolishly and ignorantly) I was walking home across the school football pitch with a chum when lightning struck the metal goalposts. Can't have been more than ten yards away. Once I'd got over that my fear was replaced with fascination and awe. Summat to do with confronting one's fears head on - maybe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Worked the other way for me.... was in mortal fear of storms as a kid, a trait inherited from and perpetuated by my mother, 'til one day when (foolishly and ignorantly) I was walking home across the school football pitch with a chum when lightning struck the metal goalposts. Can't have been more than ten yards away. Once I'd got over that my fear was replaced with fascination and awe. Summat to do with confronting one's fears head on - maybe.

That's how I got over my childhood fear. I was caught out in one and nowhere to shelter. By the time I got home I was well and truly hooked. I was 13 then and I've loved storms ever since. :)

That's how I got over my childhood fear. I was caught out in one and nowhere to shelter. By the time I got home I was well and truly hooked. I was 13 then and I've loved storms ever since. :)

Hiding beneath the sheets to climbing near balconies in x years...in a storm? Funny that! Must be something like fairground rides - tea cup ride to oblivion in the same kinda timescale..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yes I like them for the power of nature too. Just take last Saturday 9th June here in Falmouth and how we were woken up at 6am by a French Import with screaming thunder and lightning just 300 metres away or so and 2 hours of torrential rain. None of those rubbish thundery 'showers' everyone else has had recently. Or El Brumo last year for example. Proper big storms. I love how you can see night lightning for miles away on a clear night above too. We had a storm in September 2011 that passed over Stourbridge, West Midlands and it tracked South and I was still observing lightning when strikes were being recorded in Oxford!!!

Edited by Blizzards