Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Day 38 Discussion - Eastern CO

D-J-V

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

We started today torn between two possible chase targets:

Our first option was the IA/MO/IL corner or just west of this location as the models have a

toward the IA/MO/IL corner and just west of there. Clearing on vis sat and the models have a shortwave trough pushing through there in the afternoon/evening. The other play is in Eastern Colorado where upslope flow is establishing itself and will allow for instability to increase mid afternoon with a chance of supercells, large hail, good lightning and a small chance of Tornadoes.

Although the CO play is further away we decided to take that as it offers the greater chance of a Tornado and also places us in better position for tomorrows risk.

Will update you guys as we enter CO and we know abit more.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

but the better tornado risk for you guys. Will be stalking you on the feed!  

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I will go for Wray CO tonight for my starting point ( a bit late I know)

Posted

Latest SPC updates has us bang on schedule for the 5% Tornado risk in NE CO...........aiming for Julesburg CO. Did some tinkering and stream and GPS should be dropping out less than yday. Better reception around this part of the world!

Also lost some of my initial post above...apologies!

Posted

Chase is on.........

Storms are now starting to come off the Colorado and Laramie mountains, keeping an eye on them all parameters suggest one or two of these will develop into supercells before forming an MCS in the evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

Nice one - if you get a chance to update us on your location. then great - the gps indicator on the site is sometimes out a it

:) Sam

Posted

DJV, whats your thoughts on Kansas/Nebraska border, or just south of ? EHI and lcl's are ripe there for TN's - I take it that its not further from where you are than the CO storms either - I'm the last one to try and tell you guys how to do your job!, but I though I'd mention it

cheers, SAm

Posted

Approaching the anvil on our target storm east of Cheyenne, we are currently 25 miles east of Sidney. Looks like we will have to drop south off the i80 as the storms are SE movers.

Sam bit messy down that way at the moment, and don't think things will stay discreet for long....will keep an eye on it. Best play still looks like the storms coming off the front range. I think that area will be our target for tomorrow!

Posted

looks good!

nw stream isn't working - few other chasers on it but looks like a bad area for coverage - looks a beast though!

Posted

ah stream again....says its sending data this end will reboot...got our first CG!

Check stream in 90seconds

Posted

I've just been looking at Monday as I have to drive through the B.C. mountains for some family business. Gave me an idea for the NW crew, the pattern looks good for widespread storms in western Wyoming, and I know from visiting that region that you can get some very intense thunderstorms around Grand Teton and Yellowstone national parks, as well as the scenery in those regions. So if Sunday doesn't inspire, there's a somewhat different destination, and I know for a fact you'll enjoy the scenery. A day pass for both these parks is probably on the order of $50. If you do decide to go that way, PM me, I can give you some ideas about where to stay and what to go see in the parks between storms. In fact the same may apply on Sunday although you're a good day's drive from northwest Wyoming at this point and I assume you're staying in the region overnight.

I'm hoping to see one or two good storms myself as the pattern favours orographic daytime slow-movers and we have to drive through two mountain passes to get where we're going, so I may be posting a bonus shot on the thread from central B.C.

Posted

excellent just let me know when its dropping out etc can reboot v quickly think we are trying to push too many frames a second and its buffering will look at dropping them.

Our cell just turned into a classic supercell.......in immediate need of Gas!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

you aren't far away from verne carlson, and his stream isn't dropping, go and nick his wifi hotspot!!

phenomenal structure to that cell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

you aren't far away from verne carlson, and his stream isn't dropping, go and nick his wifi hotspot!!

phenomenal structure to that cell

I think they just did..

Posted

incredible structure on this storm...simply wow!

Posted

Thanks for sticking with the stream yesterday.....all chasers went down outside sterling. Should be better today in better areas of coverage!