Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot and settled spell discussion and temperature reports July 2013

Posted

To be fair, the weather presenters I've been watching have been unbiased, mentioning that it isn't for everyone and that the weather is much more comfortable in Scotland and Northern Ireland, and that if you dislike heat, low cloud will be welcomed.

Well that's fair enough, but how about those who instruct you to head for the coast or whatever if the weather's not to your liking in your particular locale? It goes back to that again - do they think we're all unemployed/retired/members of the landed gentry or somesuch? Sorry - the heat is making me very anxious and tetchy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Just found the first drawback of this weather... no not the 30.5c heat in the office today (don't mind it with windows open) nor the 27c current bedroom temperature (skylight breeze will negate it) but actually our shower... 

Because the ground water temperature is up and you don't want as warmer shower you turn it down - but this power shower works by adjusting pressure over a constant heating element, so lower temps means needing higher flow. So now the pressure is enormous and it whistles and groans under the pressure... Quite some noise its making! 

Still totally beats when its really cold - in Dec 2010 we were almost showering under what felt like a leaky tap! Just when you want a strong, hot shower to cope in the freezing cold house.

Anyway hoping ECM is right and we pull in the *real* heat next week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

It's true they do try and cover both opinions, except for one female BBC weather presenter (I forget the name) who was saying how hot and unpleasant it would be one day when the temperatures were just 26C - I mean for some people yes that is too warm but really? It's sometimes nice having a personality to a weather forecast (Rob McElwee eg) when they present unbiased opinions, but I think I sometimes prefer European forecasts where they just show a map and read out the temperatures/conditions instead of all this 'It's going to be a very hot day, unpleasant for sleeping (when lows are just in the mid teens), stay indoors etc. Our weather is tame to the majority of the population on this planet - southern Europeans would laugh at us calling 26C too hot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

People in northern Europe would laugh at people in London calling -5C cold, or 3 inches of slush 'a lot of snow'. It's all relative - it only matters what you're used to. If people in southern Europe want to laugh at us simply because we don't roast every summer, then let them. We'll laugh at them when the Iberian peninsula is a desert.

Edited by cheese

We've been really enjoying the settled spell and looking forward to more of it!

It's all eyes to the 27th for us, we have our 20th wedding anniversary BBQ and about 50 guests to look after. Will it last until then? or are we going to be smack in the middle of a breakdown?

The missus is on my case to get some answers - lol !

Any help, is much appreciated!

Hello!

My name's Jamie, I'm pretty good at cooking..and well ok just plain pretty.

My fees for BBQs are LOL :)

Bit hard to tell this far out, with any reliability - I'm sure it'll go swimmingly! Whatever the weather.

Posted

Just seen this on the BBC website!

"At Westminster, several MPs have backed an early day motion calling for a maximum temperature for workplaces.

They say no-one should have to work anywhere that is above 30C (86F) and those doing "strenuous work" should be allowed to down tools once their workplace reaches 27C (81F)."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23325078

There is a problem with this in that the temperature that ones body senses is a combination of air termperature and radiant temperature. I.e two people in the same room and same air temperature will feel dramatically different temperatures depending upon the temperature of surfaces around them. Sitting in the sun and sitting in the shade being the most dramatic examples. Hence in Southern Europe they have hard wall, floor and ceiling surfaces which cool down overnight and stay relatively cool through the day. We tend to have soft floor and ceiling finishes that heat rapidly and add to discomfort in hot spells.

For those who are active, humidity is also important as this effects the degree to which sweating helps reduce body temperature.

MPs need to wise up if looking to  bring in statutory maximum temperatures. 

Edited by egret

Posted

People in northern Europe would laugh at people in London calling -5C cold, or 3 inches of slush 'a lot of snow'. It's all relative - it only matters what you're used to. If people in southern Europe want to laugh at us simply because we don't roast every summer, then let them. We'll laugh at them when the Iberian peninsula is a desert.

Sorry maybe it's just me.. I have a high heat threshold and probably am less affected by extremes than other people - I will wear a T shirt at 13 degrees and will be fine if it is 30+ degrees.. maybe it just seems weird for me to find people calling 26C too hot.. but each to their own! 

The ECM tonight is showing a potential scorcher next week.. uppers of 20C only a couple of hundred miles from our shores.. which would bring the potential for mid-high 30s... and of course lots of storms! Posted Image But it's still over a week away

Posted

we are in real trouble if we start downing tools if its a little hot,sure have plenty of refreshment on hand and maybe a fan or two.Working for a guy today ,lived in perth ,Australia,in summer it regularly hits 40 to 45 deg and he used to work in the FOUNDRY.He said they preyed each day for a sea breeze,he was laughing at the moaners over here!!!

I can vouch for this. In March while this country was freezing I was working in a place up north called Kununurra (it's like a Pokemon town in the middle of nowhere). One day I spent hours outside lifting sheet metal and double panes of glass in what felt like an oven (the airport officially reached 39C, and the car read 42C on the way back). There was no breeze at all and the sun was virtually overhead. And the humidity was about 50-60%.

I must have got through close to 10 litres of water that day. I've never looked forward to a beer so much in my life! I've walked long distances in this current spell drinking one litre maximum.

Posted

we are in real trouble if we start downing tools if its a little hot,sure have plenty of refreshment on hand and maybe a fan or two.Working for a guy today ,lived in perth ,Australia,in summer it regularly hits 40 to 45 deg and he used to work in the FOUNDRY.He said they preyed each day for a sea breeze,he was laughing at the moaners over here!!!

My dad lives in Perth and was working down the minnes which meant temperatures regularly reaching 50oC+ down there, he said it was HORRIBLE but still just about achievable when keeping hydrated and taking short regular breaks

Posted

- southern Europeans would laugh at us calling 26C too hot!

Of course they laugh; while they're having their siesta or whatever they call it, we have to plough regardless thru' the hideousness in true British stiff upper lip fashion.....

Posted

Sorry maybe it's just me.. I have a high heat threshold and probably am less affected by extremes than other people - I will wear a T shirt at 13 degrees and will be fine if it is 30+ degrees.. maybe it just seems weird for me to find people calling 26C too hot.. but each to their own! 

The ECM tonight is showing a potential scorcher next week.. uppers of 20C only a couple of hundred miles from our shores.. which would bring the potential for mid-high 30s... and of course lots of storms! Posted Image But it's still over a week away

:O I really do hope it comes off, even if that's the last hurrah before the break down! I will probably be crying through discomfort if it does happen but I will be soooo interested to see the thermometer rise that high!

As much as I hope that it comes off, I can't help but think of the implications of such extreme heat. I bet a lot of old folk have already had enough of this, and now to think that it could be getting a lot worse is a bit of a kicker.

Hopefully the humidity won't increase too much either. It could be a little more enjoyable then.

Posted

Posted Image I really do hope it comes off, even if that's the last hurrah before the break down! I will probably be crying through discomfort if it does happen but I will be soooo interested to see the thermometer rise that high!

The BBC extended online weather forecast is showing potential max temps of 38C next week in London.. of course it's too far out yet but wow, I would also hope for it to come off!

Posted

As much as I hope that it comes off, I can't help but think of the implications of such extreme heat. I bet a lot of old folk have already had enough of this, and now to think that it could be getting a lot worse is a bit of a kicker.

Hopefully the humidity won't increase too much either. It could be a little more enjoyable then.

I feel the exact same and it will probably be a lot worse if we did get them kind of temperatures than in 2003 or 2006, especially if we get near the magical 38oC mark because the vulnerable have alreasdy had all of this heat to contend with AND THEN stupid high temperatures.. perhaps if we only had 2 or 3 extreme days then it wouldn't be AS bad

Posted

The BBC extended online weather forecast is showing potential max temps of 38C next week in London.. of course it's too far out yet but wow, I would also hope for it to come off!

Just to even have the possibility of the July record being broken is amazing, let alone, perhaps even the all time UK record... Imagine if 2013 records the hottest ever temperature at 39oC! I will be keeping an extremely close eye on this one!

Just this morning, the max they were predicting for places like Heathrow next Wednesday was 34C. If it can be upgraded that fast, it can also be downgraded just as fast. As excited as I am, I'm trying not to see it as being set in stone just yet. It's still 7-8 days out after all.

If it is the same in a couple of days however, I'll be trying to get myself an AC pretty fast. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Hi everyone, well this really is turning out to be quite a significant heatwave, an event that is headed straight for my record books! although that is if it continues for longer which I expect it to. but so far it is significant for how dry and sunny it has been so far here, and also the high temperatures too.

Below is a few mobile snaps of things related to the heatwave!

Monday took some nice Cirrus:

post-11361-0-70631200-1374015544_thumb.jpost-11361-0-49158900-1374015546_thumb.j

An amazing sunset during that evening the best yet of this heatwave:

post-11361-0-37919300-1374015855_thumb.j

On Tuesday worker watering flower baskets looked like the only shower around that would becoming from up there!

post-11361-0-02483100-1374015571_thumb.j

Did a quick edit for fun see the cloud there:

post-11361-0-02620600-1374015565_thumb.j

My flat is baking still about 30C

earlier this evening was a little higher than that:

post-11361-0-20392300-1374015833_thumb.j

post-11361-0-52465300-1374015830_thumb.j

Looking through a bus stop window(not looking at the sunshine directly just looking at camera screen when taking pics):

post-11361-0-96090800-1374015547_thumb.j

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Posted Image

Am I really seeing 38C on that image??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Am I really seeing 38C on that image??

These aren't usually accurate but would be truly epic if it happened. 

Posted

Another thing to note - last time we had a very hot July this led to a very warm early Autumn, not to everyone's taste but personally I love having warmth in September and October. It gives me some happiness despite the short and gloomy days that are around the corner at that time of the year!

Posted

Can't remember the last time I fried an egg on the tarmac

Posted

These aren't usually accurate but would be truly epic if it happened. 

That's the min and max must be onto something to come out with a figure like that! I have been checking temperature reports for Heathrow which is near here, wonder is are see a 32C+ over the days a head.. should say hope not!

Some on here I read want the 38C shown on the BBC charts.. this is the UK 30C is amzing for here! that is really very hot even for the south! 

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

I know it's unlikely that it will happen but I will certainly be looking to buy an air conditioner if record temperatures are on the cards! Seen one for £150 that I will keep in my online basket! haha

Desperately trying not to get too excited as I know all too well how quickly it can change haha