Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The UK's best summers for heat and thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Yes 1994 is probably one of the best I remember for heat and thunder.  The 6 weeks or so from 24th June was a festival of castellanus, heat, humidity and thunder, interspersed with some fair weather days (low-mid 20s and cumulus humilis)

For those that might not remember it, it was similar to the 2nd half of June 2005, but 3-4 times as long.  Rinse and repeat galore.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Summer 2022, loads thunderstorms from May throught to October!

Edited by Freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
19 hours ago, Freeze said:

Summer 2022, loads thunderstorms from May throught to October!

Not a great year for my area, didn't really pick up until September, but I think May and June did have some south east "clippers" bringing a nice light show there. Biggest spike for 2022 was in early September and also some activity during mid August and May, graph via convectivewx on Twitter below. Drier summers or springs typically very limited in terms of thunderstorms here. Summer 2018, spring 2020 and summer 2022 most notable examples. Summer 2021 was devoid of thunderstorms as well in my area.

ukt-stormactivityindex.thumb.jpg.4bdf40fb9717463602b31f56620828ab.jpg

There @Freeze  the guys who do the graphics aren't active anymore on twitter unfortunately

FlXzBAKWQAAyD3L.thumb.jpg.d182308c016811e5196f331884601cd8.jpg

2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Summer 2020 was one of the better summers of recent times around here. 

Another good year for us especially June and that's without being in the UK during August's heat and thundery spell. 2023 another fab summer too for convection but at the cost of it being quite a wet one.

Edited by Metwatch
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
13 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Not a great year for my area, didn't really pick up until September, but I think May and June did have some south east "clippers" bringing a nice light show there

I remember at least 1 direct hit here in every month from May through to October, most of which came from France. I don't suppose you could find a uk wide chart for thunderstorm activity in 2022 could you? I'm not very clued up in that department lol