Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

late august hot spell... how rare?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

im sure the last 2 weeks of August 1991 were hot in the south east..i was still living in Essex at the time (happy days) sure it got into the low 30's a few times?

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted

Memorable September Hot Spells/Days 

4th September 1880 - highs reached 30.7C in Loughbrough. Nationally this was the hottest day of the year.

6th September 1890 - highs reached 28.3C in Llandovery, Dyfed. Nationally this was the hottest day of the year.

10th September 1891 - highs reached 30C in Loughbrough. Nationally this was the hottest day of the year.

23rd to 29th September 1895 - highs reached 30.6C in Strathfield Turgis in Hampshire on the 25th and 27th. Nationally these days were the hottest days of the year. As well as being the latest dates in the year on which 30C has been recorded, these are also the latest dates between 1875 and 2000 on which the hottest day of the year has been registered. During the rest of this period temperatures exceeded 27C somewhere around the UK.

7th September 1898 - highs reached 33.4C in Norwood, London. Nationally this was the hottest day of the year.

31st August to 3rd September 1906 - this is the most impressive September heat wave of the 20th century. A large part of the UK reached 32C or more on each of these 4 days. The 2nd was the hottest day in most areas; Bawtry near Doncaster reached 35.6C, Barnet, Maidenhead and Epsom reached 35C and Whitby reached 34.3C. Places in Wales near Chester and Gordon Castle near Elgin in Scotland reached 32C. Taking the UK as a whole, the 2nd was the hottest day of the year. Some counties’ (in northern England and Scotland primarily) hottest days on record were set during this heat wave. The 2nd is also the 8th equal hottest day of the 20th century and the hottest September day on record as well as being one of only 23 days in the 20th century where temperatures topped 35C.

5th to 8th September 1911 - temperatures exceeded 32C somewhere over the UK on each of these 3 days and the hottest place was Raunds in Northamptonshire where highs reached 34.6C. However, such was the tremendous heat of the 1906 September heat wave that Raunds’ high is only the 8th hottest September temperature recorded in the UK this century!

11th September 1919 - Kew recorded a high of 82.8F. Raunds in Northamptonshire, meanwhile, reached 32.2C and nationally this was the hottest day of the year.

18th to 20th September 1926 - on the 19th Camden Square in London reached 32.2C. Nationally this was also the hottest day of the year.

4th to 8th September 1929 - on the 4th temperatures reached 84.6F at Kew whilst Newport on the Isle of Wight reached 32.2C on the 8th.

4th September 1940 - Rickmansworth recorded a high of 32.3C.

15th and 16th September 1947 - temperatures reached 28.9C in Southend on the 15th and 31.1C in Norwich on the 16th.

4th to 5th September 1949 - at Kew highs reached 85.8F on the 4th whilst at Maldon in Essex temperatures reached 32.8C on the 5th. This is the last time a September day in the UK exceeded 32C.

1st September 1954 - highs reached 30.6C at Camden Square, London. Nationally this was the hottest day of the year.

3rd September 1962 - highs reached 27.8C at Writtle, Essex. Nationally this was the hottest day of the year.

5th September 1973 - temperatures reached 30C at London Weather Centre and this is the highest September maximum recorded here since records began here in 1940. Before 1999 this was also the last time a reading of 30C had been recorded around the UK in September.

13th to 18th September 1982 - much of central and south-eastern England had a spell of hot and sunny days. Highs reached 27C somewhere on the 15th and 18th and 29C was recorded in Jersey on the 17th whilst Heathrow recorded 28.3C on the 18th.

1st to 3rd September 1991 - during this 3 day period temperatures reached 29C somewhere around the UK and the high of 29.7C at Heathrow and London Weather Centre and 29.8C at Marholm near Peterborough on the 1st made this day the hottest day of the year over the UK. Until 1999 these were also the highest September temperatures recorded since 1973.

September 1st to 11th 1999 - the first part of September 1999 was one of the most notable September heatwaves of the 20th century. On ten of these eleven days temperatures reached or exceeded 25C somewhere around the UK and on seven of these eleven days temperatures of at least 27C were recorded at one or more sites. The two hottest days were the 5th, when Mildenhall reached 30C, and the 11th when Gravesend registered a high of 30.4C, the warmest September day since 1973 and the highest so late in the year since 1947.

http://www.dandantheweatherman.com/Bereklauw/Septwarm.htm

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

im sure the last 2 weeks of August 1991 were hot in the south east..i was still living in Essex at the time (happy days) sure it got into the low 30's a few times?

...but so were the first two weeks... it didnt follow on from a normal atlantic spell .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cloudy in summer, sunny in winter.

It was circa 30C on October 1st 2011 (around here anyway) although it didn't last long.

yes I am wondering why everyone forgot that very late summer a couple of years ago.

october was very hot then.

this year is like a never ending nightmare, the hot stuffy weather just keeps coming back and next to no rain here.

spoke to my neighbour about it the other day as he wondered why I have had my front door wide open for the last 6 weeks and told him without it I would have died of heat.  He told me he nearly fainted at work in kitchens in july.

So am I right this new hot spell (heatwave?) is due to the jet stream breaking up so we below it again and that azore high coming back?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

yes I am wondering why everyone forgot that very late summer a couple of years ago.

october was very hot then.

this year is like a never ending nightmare, the hot stuffy weather just keeps coming back and next to no rain here.

spoke to my neighbour about it the other day as he wondered why I have had my front door wide open for the last 6 weeks and told him without it I would have died of heat.  He told me he nearly fainted at work in kitchens in july.

So am I right this new hot spell (heatwave?) is due to the jet stream breaking up so we below it again and that azore high coming back?

that late heat though was only a couple of days, which isnt unusual, a decent lste spell on the back of an atlantic spell is rare.

yes, the jet stream is well north of the uk, so this allows ridging, = warmth.