Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Nature's thermometers are reacting to global warming

knocker

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

I can't see how that can be an indicator of global warming, more an indicator of local conditions - it is quite conceivable, as in this case that the eastern coast of the USA has an early and mild spring whilst in Western Europe we have a cold spring, such as we had this year, where the flowering of the cherry trees will be delayed.

So much can depend on where the jet streams get stuck.

Posted

A 2007 study by Parmesan et al. found that Northern Hemisphere spring events such as flowering times, bird and butterfly migrations, and frog breeding times have been occurring an average of 2.8 days per decade earlier in spring since the 1950s, averaged over all species.

Posted

I wouldn't regard any form of plant life a reliable indicator. Too many variables not least of which is the previous season's ability to set buds.

More reliable are measurements of sea ice and glacier retardation or growth Depending on who you read, these measurements do seem to indicate longer term warming.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

so its got warmer... so things are reacting earlier... nowt new there. the climate has never been stable, its always fluctuated, compared to roman times we are still cooler... but warmer then the little ice age..

my buddleias this year are the latest they have ever been, only now are they finishing flowering, a month late. i dare say next year theyll be back to normal.

• Like 1