Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/12/2013----->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Some very heavy showers moved through just after midnight last night. Horizontal rain in the wind for a while, was difficult to see. 

I see the charts have moved away from cold and snow overnight, no surprise at all - it never ceases to amaze the people who get excited over 1 days runs. 

The chance of widespread cold and snow next week was 50-50 yesterday, I'd say it's 20-80 today at best. 

We'l see, I fancy February as the month of cold and snow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Ok the charts are not as good as yesterday, But what the hell! The so called cold don't even hit us untill next week and folk are looking for it to fail and yes that maybe the case,

But until that starts to really show itself, Please stop being so down hearted.

I know people mention to the fact and it is a fact that we must be cautious on forecasts regarding Easterlies, and yes there right most do fail, But most fail in F1 and never reach 144h.

We all know they have failed at 72h but thats the exception, But when people say they won't get excited until it gets near the time frame, Like 48hrs is just going a little over the top.

But finally, as TX1 said "Theres always going to be a 'wobble' in proceedings" And that's always the case.. If we have upgrade after upgrade, We would have Icebergs around the uk after 10 days, And that's never going to be the case...... Nice thought though Posted Image

If it don't happen, it don't happen.... But until then, Let's be upbeat about the up and coming cold spell Posted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted

I think we can safely say after the 12z so far, that it's the 3rd carrot dangle of the season which has come and gone. 

Dum, dum, dum and another one bites the dust.

February is our best chance of snow and cold. The way this winter has gone, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if we don't see a flake here this winter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Morning, not sure whether this is the right place for this, there is a good chance of seeing aurora tonight if we can find some dark skies Posted Image

I'm off out with my flask and blanket later hoping I get lucky Posted Image

I'm heading up my local golf course just after midnight to have a nose myself... no light pollution when I'm up there. Was awesome when we had the previous (larger) meteor shower, most lit the course up... that's how dark it is up there. Posted Image Even if nothing is viewable, can still enjoy a bit of piece and quiet to ones self. Posted Image

The way this winter has gone, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if we don't see a flake here this winter.

Posted Image Shhhhh... my childish side don't wish to wait much longer. :/
  • Like 3

Posted

I really hope were not gonna have to pay for this none event Winter with a freezing March & April again, it was extremely draining last year having to wait till May for the first dose of vitamin D and being able to put the coats and gloves away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I really hope were not gonna have to pay for this none event Winter with a freezing March & April again, it was extremely draining last year having to wait till May for the first dose of vitamin D and being able to put the coats and gloves away.

I want a freezing march and april, its part of winter, but now I am wondering, if things had remained raging zonal, I think a cold Feb would have happened

now it looks like a low meandering around us for days with average temps over next 10 days, then probably a reset to zonal, still hoping for snow late feb, march and april

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Total rainfall for this month here has now reached 84mm! 17mm overnight. No wonder it's soggy out. Nice day today, though, atlhough the wind made it feel cold.

• Like 1

Posted

Evening folks, I must admit im a bit disappointed with the output this evening with the lack of cold & snow, But maybe things could change and flip back.

Also i'm sure the GEM was the first model that noticed the first signs of an Easterly or HP to our North/North East and it's still sticking with that idea.

So who knows..... Lets move on, The GFS is out soon..... Pub run anyone Posted Image

Posted

Vitamin D? ever tried an egg lol...

Expecting more freak weather before Spring is finally sprung, stuff what the charts say - they're just for guidance and should never be taken as gospel..unless they're showing blizzards or heavy snow, bit like yesterday's Posted Image

Patience people patience!

Nothing beats that glow of the warm Spring sun though :lol:

Fingers crossed the charts can turn things around as historically once these charts back off a cold spell whether it's at 96hrs or 192hrs the cold spell never reappears :(

Posted

Bit nippy for flip-flops...have a feeling you may be correct Posted Image

PMA and all that lol!

PMA.... You need it following these Models... Especially the mental bit Posted Image lol!

Posted

Gum shield, crash helmet, usual gear... Posted Image

I don't really what to know about your private life thanks Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Ground frost here since 2100hours. Hopefully an air frost by the morning.

Posted

National forecast showing a pretty active front pushing in from the West Sun pm now...and an added risk of colder air undercutting...Hmmmm.

Honestly nill chance of anything remotely wintry out of Sunday unfortunately, upper's way to mild with surface temp's around 6/7c to.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A very clear night at times with a ground frost, odd patchy cloud this morning and a lovely orange sunrise.

Temp 1.3c

Dp 1.1c

Wind Chill -0.8c S/W 9mp Gusting 27mph

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

A good frost here again, which has frozen the muddy ground. Think I'll get the dog out for her first walk before it thaws. Temp -1.0

Edited by picog

Posted

Lovely Frosty morning, The worst winter morning task is scraping the car windows and that's only because i'd ran out of de-icer, But then again it's been a whilePosted Image

I still think there's plenty to play for regarding the models in search of this elusive Winter Posted Image

Posted

Fair way to get yet, in terms of snow etc 36-48hrs is a very long time. First time this Winter I've seen a forecast actually like it, even some of the resident in house experts are intrigued by some of the output.

Charts even worse today unfortunately, SW winds all the way now, even the continental flow is gone :( 

Looks like tomorrow night's hard frost is now the only taster of winter for the week ahead, held up at 3/4c through the night last night even in the clearer spells.

Posted

There has been 6 pages since midnight last night on the MOD thread and Steve Murr hasn't posted once today, I don't even need to take a look at the models to know they are crap. So the carrot dangle and cautious nature of posting in the last few days has been bang on. I'll be surprised if we see a flake before January is out.

Posted

Yawn, weve gone from something potentially decent, to having to avoid the charts as you open them and they return to zonality. 

If we head back into today's low-res you can kiss another few weeks goodbye again - here's hoping not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

The rain is alot more intense than forecast currently. Dont think the press have seen the charts still hyping over snow for next week!

As i posted does seam to be breaking up now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Posted

A blustery morning with mod/heavy showers blowing through on an 18mph N/W wind.

Temp 1.8c

Dp 1.3c

Wind Chill -1.4c

Posted

Had a big hail storm last night which left a covering like snow when I got up this morning. For some reason I was really happy........are we really that desperate? lol

Posted

Had a big hail storm last night which left a covering like snow when I got up this morning. For some reason I was really happy........are we really that desperate? lol

Bloody right we are! This is starting to be one of the crappiest WINTERS in a long time for cold and snow Posted Image

But i live in hope and just remember one thing, Its only the 11th of January.

Looks like tonight will turn frosty quite early this evening at least that something that resembles WINTERPosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1