IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 31/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Lunchtime today, which corresponds with the next high tides locally:

Posted Image

Current obs:

post-6667-0-43466600-1388737274_thumb.pn

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&CONT=euro&REGION=0003&LAND=UK&LEVEL=4&R=310&CEL=C&ART=karte&TYP=druck

Posted Image

Posted Image

post-6667-0-33880000-1388737433_thumb.pn

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Lull in weather here.

OH's drive to work at 7am was in his own words "horrible" due to flooding and standing water. He's in a 4WD!

I have a busy day but will keep you up to date with any flooding issues I come across in my travels. Not looking forward to the next 72 hours from a flooding and roof leaking perspective!

Posted

Hi Coast. It's not looking good for our area from the charts you kindly posted is it? 

Morning!

Currently the flooding in low lying areas is a concern with plenty of rainfall over the weekend. For anyone who hasn't checked out:the chances for their area of the SE yet, the 3 day overview from the Environment Agency says:

Three Day Flood Risk Forecast

Valid from 15:00 on 02 Jan 2014
Summary
On Friday there is now a high risk of severe disruption from combined river and coastal flooding in the coastal part of Gloucestershire and along parts of the north and south coasts of Devon and Cornwall and the Dorset coast. Typical disruption may include danger to life along sea fronts and beaches, flooding of parts of communities and significant travel disruption. There is a continued low risk of coastal flooding on Saturday in the same areas. On Friday there is also a low risk of severe disruption from combined river and coastal flooding in the coastal part of Monmouthshire and Newport, where a combination of high tides, strong winds and high river levels is expected to lead to flooding from spray and wave over-topping. Elsewhere on Friday the is a moderate risk of significant coastal flooding disruption caused by spray and wave over-topping of coastal defences along the coasts of Wales and the north-west of England and south coast of England. Typical disruption may include danger to life along sea fronts and beaches, flooding of parts of communities and significant travel disruption. There is a continued low risk of coastal flooding on Saturday in the same areas. Today there is a low risk of flooding in the counties highlighted yellow in the maps below. This includes river flooding in parts of the south-east and south-west of England and coastal flooding in Wales. Typical disruption may include localised flooding of land and roads and localised flooding of individual properties.

Medium Risk Today

Southern (6)
Brighton and Hove
E Sussex
Hampshire
Isle of Wight
Portsmouth
W Sussex

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/3days/125305.aspx

I might pop down to the seafront at lunchtime and view it from a safe distance with the camera.

• Like 1

This from met monkey:

On Saturday 4th Jan a developing frontal wave is expected to bring a prolonged period of rain across parts of Southern and South Eastern England. There is the potential for accumulations of 20mm to 40mm, and with it the risk of further flooding on already saturated ground. Further updates will follow.

Posted

Stay safe Robin,  I wonder if the high tides around midnight might well be worse as a lot of the water being pushed up the English Channel by that wind for the midday high tide has got nowhere to go unless the winds abate significantly?

Thanks Ian. The shoreline is a natural environment for me but I respect it, especially at times like this. Next high tide is around 12.15 today at just below 7.9m and tonight's (midnight) high is just above 7.9m, so some of the highest at the moment.

Always seems like high (lunar cycle) tides at times of bad storms - a correlation?

Posted

Let me know if you go down there Robin, you can buy me a coffee.

I'll give you a shout Jules :good: 

• Like 1

Posted
Live updates from the BBC:

Storm brings coast flood warnings
  • Severe flooding expected in parts of the UK as high tides combine with heavy rain and strong winds
  • The Environment Agency issues 21 severe flood warnings, which mean "danger to life"
  • Many of the severe flood warnings relate to the coasts of Devon and Cornwall
  • More than 400 lower-level flood alerts and warnings are in place across England and Wales
  • A tidal surge in Scotland is expected at lunchtime, around the Firth of Clyde, Solway Firth and Ayrshire

0852: Environment Secretary Owen Paterson says: "With a number of severe flood warnings still in place I urge everyone to follow the advice from the Environment Agency and police and to take every precaution."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25580722

Posted
post-6667-0-46710600-1388740304_thumb.pn

Weather warnings: London & South East 

valid from 03.01.2014 01:05 CET Until 04.01.2014 00:59 CET

Wind  Awareness Level: Yellow 

Another spell of unsettled weather is expected on Friday with further wet and windy conditions likely across western areas in particular. Tides will be very high, and the public should be aware of the risks of large waves and coastal flooding. 

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/UK013-London_%26_South_East.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Well I have had a nice lie in this morning and have woken to sunshine and calm,in fact very still indeed .I was expecting awful weather,did I miss it ? Or is it on its way? Oh and Happy New year guys

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Lull in weather here.

OH's drive to work at 7am was in his own words "horrible" due to flooding and standing water. He's in a 4WD!

I have a busy day but will keep you up to date with any flooding issues I come across in my travels. Not looking forward to the next 72 hours from a flooding and roof leaking perspective!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

looks like a new squall line is developing

I think that one is going in a straight line north eastwards may be wrong, but I think it may miss the south east.

actually just looked in the channel I think some heavy stuff may come.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted

I think that one is going in a straight line north eastwards may be wrong, but I think it may miss the south east.

actually just looked in the channel I think some heavy stuff may come.

well if this line misses i think there will be a few that hit SE during the day. but they are going along so fast they may not last long.

Morning all. Hope everyone is OK

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

There are some seriously juicy echoes on the Radar this morning. I have a really good vantage point looking SW aross the Thames, so have all the office blinds open Posted Image

Edited by Team Jo
Momentarily lost the ability to spell.
  • Like 1

Funny how in one part of the country it can be so different to everywhere else and if we didn't have the internet of this forum we would be unaware of what is going on in other areas, We has some rain this morning ast 6am and the wind rose a little however since then we have had blue skys with sunshine and althought he wind is blowing it's nothing to write home about at the moment.

Unless things have changed this morning in the models I have a feeling that we may have to wait a very long time to have the first match in the Snow Depth Cup, hopefully this is not going to be the first winter in a good few years where we don't see any snow only rain and windPosted Image

Edited by chris mantle
  • Like 1

Posted

There are some seriously juicy echoes on the Radar this morning. I have a really good vantgage point looking SW aross the Thames, so have all the office blinds open Posted Image

A couple or three hours.....

post-6667-0-22354100-1388743778_thumb.pn

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Morning each. Weeeeelllll! What a change from last night. Sunny, blue skies and calm. Wierd or what!

I guess the low will roar across later today eh?

Nothing much else to say except.......have fun and take care me luvvlies. :)

• Like 3

Posted

That's the same time as our high tide isn't it?

Mmmm it is, going to get wet down on the seafront.

• Like 1

Posted

A relative quiet period here currently with blue sky and sunshine. The wave heights have dropped too:

post-6667-0-13161800-1388745352_thumb.pn

http://www.channelcoast.org/data_management/real_time_data/charts/?chart=77

Of course this is just to lull us all into a false sense of relaxation, Mother Nature can be so cruel!

It's all still coming later:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1