Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

On XC Weather it just said that Exeter Airport had a gust of 71MPH, if thats true its the highest gust this winter and the worst is still yet to come! Jesus

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hi everyone!

Been reading the forum for the past few weeks; it's been so much more informative than the media, and I've learnt a few things in the process. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post all the info on the storms as they develop!

I'm based in Central London, and I have to admit to slightly looking forward to the storm tonight as we don't get much in the way of strong winds here. Currently though there's hardly any wind at all, but we've just had a torrential downpour which lasted for about an hour, then eased off, and has now stopped.

Welcome aboard NW towers Hirudine, I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay. Please do keep your reports coming.

• Like 1

Posted

Spoke too soon- we're starting to get a breeze here with some light gusts. Cloud cover is moving at quite a brisk pace.

Looks like some intense squall lines developing to the west of us going by the radar? I wonder if they'll make it this far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Ok folks ... to my eyes, GFS 12Z has slightly downgraded the storm and pushes it through faster. Also, inland gusts looking more like 60mph+ rather than 70mph+, big difference when it comes to damage potential.Obviously it's only one run and could be wrong, but for an event 12 hours away it's unlikely to change much now.Earlier in the day I was thinking 90mph was quite possible on the coast but 75-80mph at most seems reasonable, if this is right.

Yes, that's precisely what I wondered earlier, but as you quite rightly say its only one run. More to the point, this was my warning from last night in the CSE & SW thread and it still applies IMHO. Be sensible if you do have to be out and about later guys n gals with another 12 to 18 hours of the storm to endure, depending on your location.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79421-south-westcentral-southern-england-regional-weather-discussion-120214-19z/?p=2930287

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Wind is really starting to get up now, could be an interesting night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Not sure if I am buying the 12z run yet looking at this.. Because it is gusting over 50mph already in Inland South east.. With some 80mph+ winds moving in.. Could be right though and the 12z is a downgrade (which would be helpful)

Posted Imagewinddddddd.jpg

I'm not buying it, we've had the strongest winds so far this winter and it's pretty sustained in between and I think for Devon the worst winds will be around 9pm?  If Exeter Airport (which is five miles east of Exeter) has already had a reported gust of 71mph and it's now 4pm makes me wonder if we'll see 80mph + here unless we are experiencing the strongest winds now?  Plus we are at least 10 miles from the coast....Bare in mind that 71mph is only 14 or 15mph less than what Exeter Airport recorded during the Burns Day storm in 1990! Posted Image

• Like 2

I'm not buying it, we've had the strongest winds so far this winter and it's pretty sustained in between and I think for Devon the worst winds will be around 9pm?  If Exeter Airport (which is five miles east of Exeter) has already had a reported gust of 71mph and it's now 4pm makes me wonder if we'll see 80mph + here unless we are experiencing the strongest winds now?  Plus we are at least 10 miles from the coast....Bare in mind that 71mph is only 14 or 15mph less than what Exeter Airport recorded during the Burns Day storm in 1990! Posted Image

Im waiting on the high res to update and check that out.. 

• Like 3

Winds seem stronger than forecast for the time here too. Gusting up to 45mph when the squall line came through. Some sneaky upgrades on the 12z, but the GFS still doesn't bring the winds as far north as the NMM. Strange to see such uncertainty when it's literally on our doorstep.

Posted Image

Looking at the GFS 12z... 

It seems odd to me because it shows the storm down to 956 which don't begin to start filling till it has crossed the Irish sea.. HMMMM

HEAD SCRATCH! Posted Image

Winds seem stronger than forecast for the time here too. Gusting up to 45mph when the squall line came through. Some sneaky upgrades on the 12z, but the GFS still doesn't bring the winds as far north as the NMM. Strange to see such uncertainty when it's literally on our doorstep.

Posted Image

Always found the GFS wind charts off TBH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Ok folks ... to my eyes, GFS 12Z has slightly downgraded the storm and pushes it through faster. Also, inland gusts looking more like 60mph+ rather than 70mph+, big difference when it comes to damage potential.Obviously it's only one run and could be wrong, but for an event 12 hours away it's unlikely to change much now.Earlier in the day I was thinking 90mph was quite possible on the coast but 75-80mph at most seems reasonable, if this is right.

The last storm was due to peak at 9pm in my area, but in fact peaked at 6pm. Despite the mb dropping the Met Office still stuck to its guns. But it was wrong :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Not sure if I am buying the 12z run yet looking at this.. Because it is gusting over 50mph already in Inland South east.. With some 80mph+ winds moving in.. Could be right though and the 12z is a downgrade (which would be helpful)

Posted Imagewinddddddd.jpg

That's just a NMM overlay projection, not live observations. Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Getting gusty here now

Pressure dropping

979.0mb (falling 3.8mb/hr)

Sea state rough (tide going out as off midday)

Rainfall today 20.8mm

Flooding and road closures on the island i cant keep track off

Feeling mild outside 11.9c

Back garden flooded, 2 leaks in the house, and only going to get worse 

Will keep you posted as the day goes on

Stay safe guys

http://www.camscape.com/view/33889             (looking towards the Pier out to sea southwest)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

NMM high res.. I thought?

Yeah, edited. It matches the NMM 6KM model viewer on netweather extra.I do like the NMM hi-res but it can also be way out, it was with the rain.post-15177-0-82425900-1392395555_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....

Rain stopped here now, only had gusts of 40mph, not expecting much until midnight here on the very southeast tip anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....

post-20957-0-74863200-1392396268_thumb.p

A snapshot from my phone (Facebook - London & Southeast weather)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Well, that was an interesting day driving up to Tamworth and back to Lyneham in the name of the almighty dollar!......

set off at 7am, was raining steadily. Rain readily turned to snow up near Birdlip on the Cotswolds, back to rain up the M5 and then torrential sleet/wet snow near Lichfield, Staffs around midday...

On the way back on the Fosse Way the wind started building and I drove through 2 convective segments near Swindon giving torrential rain, strong cross winds forcing me to pull over for a few mins...Now back home the rain has tapered off as the convective segments have pushed to the north east, but the wind is really getting up, Weather station here recording means of 37mph for the past hour with a top gust of 51mph, and it's going to get worse overnight!

• Like 5