Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales, The Midlands and Southwest England - Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can't wait for this front to pass, get some fresher air in please!

And I don't think the Met Office forecast has been too bad today. For the West Mids they said it would start sunny, cloud over in the afternoon and start to rain by evening, while being warm and humid - spot on really. The warnings for storms in the east were also right. Perhaps for the south they got it wrong, but for my neck of the woods I can't complain, and I've been critical of them over thunderstorm forecasts this summer.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Excellent day all in all and it didn't turn cloudy proper till about 4pm. Maxed out just below 27c! :D

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Moderate rain just started here, Temp 19c With a light Westerly. A max temp today of 26.6c, That's hot enough for me thanks! Some excellent storm potential in the Models tonight for next week, Fingers crossed..

Edited by Polar Maritime

It wasn't indicating much in the way of storms in the east either, yet a yellow warning goes up. The BBC forecasts painted a very different picture yesterday- wet for several hours this evening and drizzly after that, through until the morning. It couldn't be anymore wrong, you cannot plan anything 24 hours ahead going by their forecasts, it is pathetic.

Posted Image14071218_1206.gif

I was making the point that the EURO4 forecast wasn't that far out to what happened, so it is a surprise as to the rainfall predicted. not the the first time recently that the rainfall predictions seems in excess of what EURO4 predicts.

I am not criticising the model, but the interpretation of it on the Met Office site.

Edited by J10

Posted

mmmm I can smell the Rain, Something to do with a chemical the plants give off i think..   :)

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Apart from the odd few showers showing up, the Beeb and MO have ballsed up the forecast something rotten for today. The websites have only just updated too, extremely poor.

I agree, we had friends staying in Weymouth this weekend and totally changed our plans for this evening due to adverse weather forecast. What a shame as it is Weymouth Food Fest weekend - it will undoubtedly have damaged their trade unnecessarily. The weather forecast seems more like a nowcast, presumably met office will do a post match review' and it would be really interesting to know what changes occurred to result in quite dramatic difference in precipitation from that forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Moderate rain falling here although we seem to be at the southern end of the main area of it. Temperature is down to  17.1c.

Posted

Moderate almost heavy rain at times here 2.2mm so far, Temp 16.9c

Could not of put it better myself Triple  :)

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

Several reasons I think, in part by keeping things moving perhaps during quieter spells, certainly makes a refreshing change to speak to someone all the way in a lovely part of the country :) easier to moderate as hols loom? Even mods deserve a break I'd imagine.Not quite sure if it's permanent, many I believe quite like the change etc. - hope that helps.

Yes that makes sense thanks!! ( hope it goes back to normal for our coldest winter ever) :-)
  • Like 2

Posted

Rain has turned very heavy now.

Posted

10.8mm in the last hour. Just came to a final stop.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I was making the point that the EURO4 forecast wasn't that far out to what happened, so it is a surprise as to the rainfall predicted. not the the first time recently that the rainfall predictions seems in excess of what EURO4 predicts.I am not criticising the model, but the interpretation of it on the Met Office site.

I wasn't having a rant at you. :)I don't knock forecasts often, especially during times of severe weather as the MO do a great job. The simple 24hr ahead forecasts on the MO/BBC website and the TV have been abysmal, yesterday was particularly bad for here, as a few others have mentioned. The charts didn't help- I realise that, but the data they have compared to what the public see makes it unacceptable sometimes, more so when it comes down to simple, weak fronts. Hey ho! It did mess up many local events here, so I'm not on my own lol Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Grand total of 0.5mm at 09,00 this morning, only the light shower yesterday afternoon and none at all overnight.

Now blustery, warm and doing a good job of drying the washing!

Posted

11.1mm since midnight here, A blustery morning Gusting 18mph N/W With light showers. Temp 16.5c

I wasn't having a rant at you. :)I don't knock forecasts often, especially during times of severe weather as the MO do a great job. The simple 24hr ahead forecasts on the MO/BBC website and the TV have been abysmal, yesterday was particularly bad for here, as a few others have mentioned. The charts didn't help- I realise that, but the data they have compared to what the public see makes it unacceptable sometimes, more so when it comes down to simple, weak fronts. Hey ho! It did mess up many local events here, so I'm not on my own lol

I would agree that the Met Office website has been variable in terms of forecasts lately, I wonder if the EURO4 model interpretation is causing issues.

Onto today and it is looking a decent day with quite a lot of sunny developing during the day. Even now a mix of sunny intervals this morning.

Edited by J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It didn't drop below 16.9°C this morning. I had no rain or drizzle overnight either.

Currently 21°C and sunny, feeling quite humid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

No rain here either Mapantz this the umpteenth time this summer that forecast rain has failed to materialise here at Broadmayne. Not that I,m complaining after the winter lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Rain  at first this morning . Broken cloud at the moment. .Sun is  out. 22.5c. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

11.1mm since midnight here, A blustery morning Gusting 18mph N/W With light showers. Temp 16.5c

Missed that heavy rainfall here, it went a few miles to the north of us.

Just got back from a cycle ride which took in Stanton Moor and Beeley Moor and there must have been heavy rain there overnight too judging by the amount of grit and debris washed into the roads, it was quite tricky on some of the corners.

Decidedly breezy on the moors, I reckon it was averaging around 18-20 mph on Beeley Moor; fortunately it was a tail wind .

It looks like becoming very warm/hot by the end of the week and if we must have heat then let it be accompanied by thunderstorms and torrential downpours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Missed that heavy rainfall here, it went a few miles to the north of us.

Just got back from a cycle ride which took in Stanton Moor and Beeley Moor and there must have been heavy rain there overnight too judging by the amount of grit and debris washed into the roads, it was quite tricky on some of the corners.

Decidedly breezy on the moors, I reckon it was averaging around 18-20 mph on Beeley Moor; fortunately it was a tail wind .

It looks like becoming very warm/hot by the end of the week and if we must have heat then let it be accompanied by thunderstorms and torrential downpours.

I would love to see the thunderstorms, but in the evenings/overnight, that rain was horrid here, luckily stopped at about 10.30

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Broken Cloud. Breezy.. Sunny 23.5c.

Posted

Gorgeous start this morning but grey & humid all afternoon, 19.3c