Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

getting dark, have you got the curtains closed or just happen to be under a lump of dark cloud at the moment, quite bright here with some blue sky visible?

Must've been heavy cloud. I've got he curtains shut and it's actually brightened a little in the last ten minutes or so. Damn!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well in the garden at 5pm and it was feeling damp and cold in the air. Sun going down low. Definitely wanting to be inside. Soon be the clocks going backwards..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Sunrise at 7:21 tomorrow, down at 18:05. The Sun will be setting before 5pm after the clocks go back, which is legendary.

Edited by 22nov10blast
  • Like 2

Posted

there are still about 7-8 hrs of daylight even in december and people say the days are short, but no one ever says the working day is short and that is 8hrs, if daylight hours were 3-4hrs long that would be short

Edited by Tony27

Posted

there are still about 7-8 hrs of daylight even in december and people say the days are short, but no one ever says the working day is short and that is 8hrs, if daylight hours were 3-4hrs long that would be short

This is the best bit about working nights at this time of year.... if I play my cards right I can avoid daylight for weeks on end. It's wonderful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Sunrise at 7:21 tomorrow, down at 18:05. The Sun will be setting before 5pm after the clocks go back, which is legendary.

Same time every year! Ridiculous subject, yeah maybe some days are more dumpsy than others due to the weather conditions but hey come on chaps............................................

Posted

Same time every year! Ridiculous subject, yeah maybe some days are more dumpsy than others due to the weather conditions but hey come on chaps............................................

How about england moves on gmt plus 1 and ireland iceland and portugal stay on gmt. I hate dst and want rid of it! Sunset on gmt would be 9:20 here anyway! Thats late enough.9:40 in scotland too. Edited by smithyweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Anything wrong with discussing it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes it could be shorter of course but most folks want at least some time in daylight when they get home from a long day. It just makes things easier when you don't wait from 3:30pm Sunday to 9am Saturday to see your home in daylight. So yes people will complain...

How about england moves on gmt plus 1 and ireland iceland and portugal stay on gmt. I hate dst and want rid of it! Sunset on gmt would be 9:20 here anyway! Thats late enough.9:40 in scotland too.

I would agree staying on BST all year would be easier although I know many wouldn't like it. In the end though winter has too few hours of light to please everyone!

But staying on GMT in summer - no no! Around here that's 0330 sunrise and 2030 sunset which would be a ludicrous waste of daylight hours - unless of course you intend to adjust office, shop & school hours along with transportation timetables to go with it. Unlikely I think.

Posted

Not here though. Sunset at 9:20.

I don't like dst its a waste of time and we don't need it here. It ruins my sleeping pattern for about two weeks. (That might sound stupid but the 10 hour time difference is easier to get used to).

Edited by smithyweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Whatever way you put the clocks forward  or back it does not alter of course the amount of daylight or darkness we receive at any given time of year. Definitely darkness at this time of year is very noticeable now, and it does not get very light at all if its raining during the day! Its always nice to see the sun at this time of year, even if its only for a few minutes!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Not here though. Sunset at 9:20.I don't like dst its a waste of time and we don't need it here. It ruins my sleeping pattern for about two weeks. (That might sound stupid but the 10 hour time difference is easier to get used to).

Well for the majority of England where most people live BST makes far more sense in summer. And until Northern Ireland leaves the UK (!) you're stuck with it... Does Ireland itself follow the same times?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

but no one ever says the working day is short and that is 8hrs

Pfffft 8 hours is short. My working day is 10 hours- that isn't short lol. Damnit.....got me dreaming of a 9-5 now :p

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted

Well for the majority of England where most people live BST makes far more sense in summer. And until Northern Ireland leaves the UK (!) you're stuck with it... Does Ireland itself follow the same times?

So if new york is on eastern time does that mean cali is on eastern time too? Naw. So there you go.

Posted

So if new york is on eastern time does that mean cali is on eastern time too? Naw. So there you go.

No because London to Northern Ireland is about 230 longitudinal miles whereas New York to LA is close to 2500 miles! Bit of a scale thing going on there...

Posted

Well not a European wide timezone no - but certainly UK wide at the very least!

Although I'd go to Euro time (which spans Poland all the way to Spain) myself- just fits me better. Then again I shall do just that when I move to Berlin - although its more easterly position means the yearly daylight timings are practically identical as here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Pfffft 8 hours is short. My working day is 10 hours- that isn't short lol. Damnit.....got me dreaming of a 9-5 now Posted Image

I Work 8-5 so close lol. I leave my house just as the sun rises, and then arrive just as the sunsets at the moment. I do love the summer nights when you come home from work you know still a few hours of daylight to do something, like going to the pub garden for a beverage Posted Image

Posted

No GMT all year would be very wasteful of daylight in the summer months for the bulk of the population of the UK. BST all year would be better and I think worth a try!

Posted

Goodness no. 9am sunrises are enough nevermind 10pm sunrises.

The night does not really exsist here in the summer as the horizon is red in the middle of the night. You can see clearly for an hour either side of sunrise and sunset on longest day. I don't think there will be any wastage of daylight because alot of people go to bed at 10pm anyway.

Posted

if we had BST all year round February would feel like a spring month with it getting dark at nearly 7pm by mid month, i do think the clocks should go forward in early march though and i think that will happen one day

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1