Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Sad that Summer is passing, but at the same time, happy. Derry had a miserable summer this year except for the odd warm day, hoping that we have a coooold snowy Winter after this washout Summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Sad that Summer is passing, but at the same time, happy. Derry had a miserable summer this year except for the odd warm day, hoping that we have a coooold snowy Winter after this washout Summer.

you wont :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Street lights on before 8.30 tonight, those nights are drawing in fast...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes Nick, Certainly evident tonight without the clear skys. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Street lights on before 8.30 tonight, those nights are drawing in fast...

Very much the same here. Tonight was the first very cloudy night here for a while, so it came as quite a surprise to see it so dark so early.

• Like 1

Posted

For me it's the first cloudy evening at sunset around this time of year when the longer nights hit me. I obviously notice it much earlier, but it tends to hit home around mid-August. That night was tonight.

Around a month ago I could have washed my car at half 8, tonight I was driving it with the lights on!

Edited by reef
Moved into correct thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Not working mornings at the moment so haven't noticed the later light.

Edited by Nick L

Posted

I really am dreading this winter after that pants summer.

It's weird because I actually get nostalgic and excited at the arrival of autumn. Those mellow, still-warm days where the sun is lower in the sky and everything is a beautiful golden colour, mixed with the smell of a bonfire. Bliss. I then get excited again when I get that first "Winter tinge" - usually when the sky is a purpley colour and looks heavy with snow.

However, January and February can get lost. Absolutely dreadful months and the hardest 8 weeks of the year for me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

yup and we are all paying for it turning the lights on

Posted

Having moved I am used to very little movement year round on sunrise/sunset times. General it's between 5.30-6.30am and 6.30-7.30pm. I must admit that I had forgotten that feeling of sadness around this time in the UK where I used to dread the long dark nights.

Having said that, I have just spent a month in France enjoying late, long lingering sunsets. Here sunsets go in five minutes.

Try to enjoy the variety

Posted

Its that time of year for me when it does feel depressing when the nights are starting to draw in however as is always the case with me, once it comes to around October time, then I kind of enjoy the rapidly short days and long nights because of course it means winter is around the corner. 

Just like in February, it can feel a bit depressing when the days are getting noticeably longer again as it means winter is almost at an end. 

Its that time of year for me when it does feel depressing when the nights are starting to draw in however as is always the case with me, once it comes to around October time, then I kind of enjoy the rapidly short days and long nights because of course it means winter is around the corner. 

Just like in February, it can feel a bit depressing when the days are getting noticeably longer again as it means winter is almost at an end.

end of winter never depresses me :)..
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

end of winter never depresses me :)..

It's an awful, awful feeling.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It's an awful, awful feeling.

No it definitely isn't. New life in nature, more outdoor things to do, no longer need to be so much couped up indoors. If it was perpetual winter we wouldn't be where we are today!

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 2

Posted

No it definitely isn't. New life in nature, more outdoor things to do, no longer need to be so much coupes indoors. If it was perpetual winter we wouldn't be where we are today!

True, but it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it more than any other time of year.

Regarding daylight, the evenings are now becoming especially noticeable. At 9pm the other night even with clearish skies it was pretty dark. It's still light when I get up, but that light seems to have a certain dimness to it now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

not happy, dark already, not liking these deepening dark days.  Miss the long light evenings already.

Posted

Completely dark now (That's how different the days are) the street lamps too stayed on right throughout my half past 5 dog walk although was getting light. Won't be long to it's pitch black at that time of morning again

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I find it rather funny that we make a big deal about something that has happened every single year for as long as anyone can remember. I've been alive for 28 years and I don't remember a single year where the days didn't get shorter in August and longer in February.

• Like 3

Posted

not happy, dark already, not liking these deepening dark days.  Miss the long light evenings already.

That's just the way it is! Get a grip man! :D

• Like 1