Possible severe weather Friday 3rd October

andy989

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow warning from the met office for heavy rain

Issued at: 0939 on Fri 3 Oct 2014

Valid from: 1600 on Fri 3 Oct 2014

Valid to: 0800 on Sat 4 Oct 2014

A band of heavy rain will affect parts of southern Scotland, northern England, north and west Wales, the heaviest rain likely during the nighttime period, before easing and clearing away to the southeast during Saturday morning. This is an update of the warning issued on Thursday, with the southeast of Northern Ireland and the zone from Fife towards Glasgow removed from the warning area, since these regions are now expected to miss the worst of the rainfall. The public should be aware of the potential for some localised impacts to travel due to surface water flooding.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A slow-moving active cold front will be reinforced as a shallow wave runs northeastwards overnight Friday into Saturday. This will lead to some heavy and persistent rainfall, with 25 to 40 mm falling quite widely across the warning area, while a few locations may see in excess of 70 mm, much of this falling within a few hours Despite the recent dry conditions, this may lead to localised surface water flooding.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1412377200&regionName=uk

Posted

Rain wasn't as intense last night as I thought it would have been but really starting to pep up now (this would be the main part of the rain ushering in autumn at long last) ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Lively line over Glasgow currently on the radar,

Anglesey, W.Wales and Cumbria all look like getting a pasting overnight as the front waves about, into Cornwall Devon by Sat. morning
Certainly a big change, with a chill for Sat, night and then more wind and rain for Sun/Mon

Although there aren't any river concerns from Env agency or SEPA after the very dry September, the ground will be dry/hard and the persistent rain overnight will just stand. 

Great to have some weather action

• Like 1

No rain here as of yet ,breezy,front doesn't look as sharp as I'd hoped !!!.

Lively line over Glasgow currently on the radar,

Anglesey, W.Wales and Cumbria all look like getting a pasting overnight as the front waves about, into Cornwall Devon by Sat. morning

Certainly a big change, with a chill for Sat, night and then more wind and rain for Sun/Mon

Although there aren't any river concerns from Env agency or SEPA after the very dry September, the ground will be dry/hard and the persistent rain overnight will just stand. 

Great to have some weather action

do you think we will get a line echo Jo ???.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

No rain here as of yet ,breezy,front doesn't look as sharp as I'd hoped !!!.

do you think we will get a line echo Jo ???.

The echoes have faded a bit already over Strathclyde in the past 10 mins but look over S.Ireland and some bright colours there , even if close to edge of radar limit.

Cumbria looks like getting a soaking tonight with the front stuck overhead, and active pulses feeding up from the SW, bit of orographic enhancement as they arrive over the Fells

• Like 1

The echoes have faded a bit already over Strathclyde in the past 10 mins but look over S.Ireland and some bright colours there , even if close to edge of radar limit.

Cumbria looks like getting a soaking tonight with the front stuck overhead, and active pulses feeding up from the SW, bit of orographic enhancement as they arrive over the Fells

cheers Jo ,first spots of rain arriving now on strengthening wind !!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Turned into very wet afternoon but the wind has eased off, still a fairly mild 15c. Looks like a very wet night ahead as the front intensifies later on overnight.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Very, very heavy downpours here. Can see flash flooding definitely being a problem tonight and into tomorrow. Garden looks like a swamp already!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Still gloriously warm here, just been out tidying the garden in my t-shirt. Hard to believe all this weather is coming...

Posted

Really hammering it down now the roads look like rivers! 

• Like 1

Posted

Rain has started a bit now but nothing of note, however the forecast for here is some intense rain all night night by the looks of it as the front lingers

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

For sure the amount for the whole of September will be beat tonight, doubled even if we get over 20mm!

Posted

Well we've already had more rain today than the whole of September and I don't need a rain gauge to tell me that!! Still chucking it down outside.... Certainly making up for the lack of rain over the last month or so. 

Posted

Rain off and on all day, but nothing to interesting or heavy. No wind to speak of, wonder if it will get worse over night

Really pouring down on the west coast! Lots of rain to come overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Rain band drifting slowly closer, heavy rain in an hour or so !!!!.

Will be getting that tomorrow, I think!

Posted

Yeah, it'll be aaaaages before it reaches London.

Although I'm not a fan of the cold, I'm actually kind of looking forward to it being a bit cooler.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Yeah, it'll be aaaaages before it reaches London.

Although I'm not a fan of the cold, I'm actually kind of looking forward to it being a bit cooler.

It's been humid in London for weeks and weeks now! Still got the fan on !

Edited by lassie23

Posted

The heavy rain is taking a lot longer than predicted, last night it was over me by 7pm today, the forecast has changed throughout the day pushing the rain later and later. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

The heavy rain is taking a lot longer than predicted, last night it was over me by 7pm today, the forecast has changed throughout the day pushing the rain later and later.

Definitely is a slow progress! Looks like quite a bit of rain coming in 25-30mm quite widely with 40-50mm on western facing slopes, winds also a feature, could even set up a squall line as it pushes in.