Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I really wouldn't despair to much regarding wet surfaces. If the showers become heavier and frequent as forecast the snow should stick.

• Like 1

Posted

I really wouldn't despair to much regarding wet surfaces. If the showers become heavier and frequent as forecast the snow should stick.

Hopefully, I'm just still a bit scarred off last week, with it snowing into puddles, but I guess that was under different circumstances 

Posted

Hopefully, I'm just still a bit scarred off last week, with it snowing into puddles, but I guess that was under different circumstances 

Yeah, made me chuckle when I read your post last week.."what a waste snowing into puddles"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Updated yellow snow warning

Issued at: 1124 on Wed 28 Jan 2015

Valid from: 1130 on Wed 28 Jan 2015

Valid to: 2355 on Thu 29 Jan 2015

Showers of snow across parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland on Wednesday morning will extend to parts of northern England and Wales by evening, then continue overnight and into Thursday.

Over Scotland, Northern Ireland and parts of northern England 5 cm or more may fall even at some lower levels, with more than 15 cm possible over higher ground. See separate amber warning for main risk areas. Over Wales only 1-3 cm is likely in places at low levels with 5-10 cm possible over higher ground.

Strong, gusty winds will lead to drifting and temporary blizzard conditions over high ground, while icy surfaces and lightning pose additional risks in some areas. This is an update to the warning issued on Monday to extend the warning a little further south into parts of Wales. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A colder airstream with sleet and snow showers affecting northern and western parts will continue to spread southeast on Wednesday and lasting through Thursday. These snow showers will be heavy and frequent across parts of Northern Ireland, Scotland, northern England and Wales. Although accumulations will vary, 5 cm or more is likely to accumulate at lower levels, perhaps falling in a short period of time, though Wales will likely see only 1-3 cm in places. Over higher ground and some of the higher transport routes 15 cm or more is possible, again with Wales seeing a little less, 5-10 cm more likely here. Strong west to northwesterly winds will also lead to drifting and temporary blizzard conditions, especially over high ground. The showers will become a little less frequent from the northwest during Thursday with more of a mix of rain, sleet and snow.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1422403200

Posted

Yeah, made me chuckle when I read your post last week.."what a waste snowing into puddles"

Hahaha it's the multiple memories from school of hoping to have snowball fights and go sledging and seeing it fall onto wet ground, it still gets me now :') 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

just watch the ppn totally disappear as its just about to hit darlo its comical 

Posted

I have my crew on snow watch. Looking promising for more wet snow in th next hour on the radar.post-11893-0-68785600-1422446620_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

just watch the ppn totally disappear as its just about to hit darlo its comical 

Yes it just vanishes. Hoping later on that these will manage to get over to us.

Posted

Whilst we've missed out so far in the south of the region the sunshine and wind has help to dry the ground up so if the snow does make it over later it should stick easier

In the mean time the beebs forecast for Darlington maintains the snow for this evening and overnight

UntitledbBp.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Just started to snow but the wind is carrying it in any direction apart from on the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Prefer these sunny drying conditions let the snow showers get going this evening 4pm onwards ideally best chance it will settle straight away then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

to be honest just walked my son to nursery and it does not feel that cold out there and the temp has increased a degree

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Well I was pleasantly surprised at how early in the day the wintry precipitation has arrived, though looking at the current wind vectors from a true NW direction I think we might struggle due to the amount of land mass they have to travel over.

Up here I done better from the western, northern and southern winds last week which surprised me tbh.

It's still early in the day but hopefully we wont have to wait too long for a more northerly element.

post-8844-0-33181100-1422450952_thumb.pn

Edited by geordiekev

Posted

Absolutely freezing out there today in that wind. Im confident most on here will see a covering by tomorrow morning. Areas north of tyne and wear doing the best.

Posted

Darlo must be getting some!... benefitting from having lower mountains between it and the west! Dry as a bone here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Issued at: 

1300 on Wed 28 Jan 2015

Valid from: 

0015 on Sun 1 Feb 2015

Valid to: 

2345 on Sun 1 Feb 2015

Further snow showers will affect parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland on Sunday leading to some locally large accumulations and the showers may spread along eastern and western coasts of England and Wales. The showers will be associated with strong winds so drifting and temporary blizzard conditions are possible as well as icy stretches. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption from these conditions. This alert is likely to be updated in the coming days. A very cold airmass will continue to spread southwards from Scotland and Northern Ireland across the remainder of the UK on Sunday accompanied by strong winds. Frequent showers are likely to form in this airmass, primarily affecting northern parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland but also running along eastern and western coastal districts of England and Wales at times. With the cold air snow is likely to accumulate even to low levels wherever showers affect. Periods of enhanced snowfall are possible within this general flow but details of these are very uncertain at this time. As such this alert is likely to be updated and refined in the coming days to better represent individual features.

There is the potential for disruption throughout this period due to the accumulating snow and ice but also with temporary blizzard conditions leading to very difficult driving conditions.

For Sunday for our region but only towards the east currently.

Posted

Posted

Don't fret folks, there was never much forecast for this early in the day anyhow. Wait til rush hour time, could be a fun drive home, depending on where home is of course! I think the showers will organise themselves a bit more, very quickly after dark. If we get streamers setting up, which is possible in the current conditions, then it's game on. My thoughts are that it will be relatively quiet, although falling and lying in most places up here, until about 9ish. This will be prime LPWT, until you go to bed.

The morning will show that it has snowed steadily overnight, and if you live in Stanley, Consett etc, good luck getting to work on time lol. I am dreading my daily trip through the A1 roadworks in the morning. Enjoy folks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Snow, Thunder, cold crisp ice days

I would guess if anything were to get going it would be after dark.  The temp in the sun is too warm, mind the wind chill is pretty cold. I think the back edge of the front got us all a tad over excited this morning.  :) From the hill up here, I can still see plenty of grey clouds inbound and if it is just a light cover after all.....we still have Sunday :D

Posted

Darlo must be getting some!... benefitting from having lower mountains between it and the west! Dry as a bone here.

no nick no snow here