Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Rain wooooo!! :D

Its light snow at times here then it turns sleety sodden ground though so it would never lay even if it did turn to proper snow

Another chilly day tomorrow though hopefully a bit brighter than the past few days with temperatures gradually recovering on Friday and through the weekend

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Another day of watching parts further south than us get absolutely pasted. :(

Horrible isn't it hopefully this northerly at the end of the month can deliver although I'm not holding my breath

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

What a turgid, depressing and utter waste of time this so called 'cold spell' has been. It has been a rain fest here in Darlo and most other low lying areas of our region. In the future im not going to get excited about any cold spell that originates from the north west or has atlantic air wrapped up in it no matter how cold that air is because it simply does not deliver for the majority of our region and never has. We need either a block to our north or preferably north west so we get our cold from the east or north east as anything else just doesn't hack it im afraid.  :bad:

Well ive just checked out the so called northerly at the end of the month on wetter and it is a transient affair with no HLB with the winds from the N/NW and a slider thrown in for good measure. Basically just what we have had to put up with I'm afraid. I for one am not getting excited about it.......Next!!!

Edited by Continental Climate
  • Like 1

Posted

What a turgid, depressing and utter waste of time this so called 'cold spell' has been. It has been a rain fest here in Darlo and most other low lying areas of our region. In the future im not going to get excited about any cold spell that originates from the north west or has atlantic air wrapped up in it no matter how cold that air is because it simply does not deliver for the majority of our region and never has. We need either a block to our north or preferably north west so we get our cold from the east or north east as anything else just doesn't hack it im afraid.  :bad:

Yep its happened before and it will again unless we get something from the east we don't do well again today were too far north

I will await the met office to come on board for anything cold / snowy further down the line they have done pretty well this winter this is what they have from next Wednesday to Feb 4th

Thereafter, changeable conditions look set to prevail with spells of wet and sometimes very windy conditions, especially in the northwest, interspersed with brighter, colder, showery interludes. These colder interludes will bring the risk of snow, especially over higher ground in the north. The best drier, brighter intervals will likely be in the southeast. Temperatures will vary markedly day to day.

The story of this winter bar a few hours on Sunday morning just gone "the risk of snow, especially over higher ground in the north" as we found out on Sunday the ground just isn't cold enough at lower levels for snow to hang around more than a few hours

For what good this 'cold spell' is it may as well have not bothered I haven't even managed a frost since Saturday night..........

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Had light grainy snow all through the day but slight rise in temps causing lying snow to compact and melting from rooves.

Got some nice icicles forming now as the temps dropping away again. Have to say apart from up here which hit the sweet spot on Monday it really shows that only a n/ne flow cuts it unless v.close to Pennines.

Have been very lucky as had five days of falling snow in the last ten which makes up for the last two years living in Spain.

Still a good part of winter left and have a feeling another cold spell will hit our shores but hopefully more favorable next time.

Edit: good to see our neighbors in Yorkshire getting decent coverings just shame it's fizzling out before reaching here.

Edited by geordiekev

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Looks like a touch more on its way but will be very light if it reaches our parts.

post-8844-0-05745100-1421858533_thumb.pn

Posted

It’s not good looking at the Yorkshire thread. They have had snow all night and day and it looks great.

We really haven’t had a great winter so far here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Woke up to what I can only describe as the most pathetic attempt at a covering of snow I think I've ever seen in my entire life.

It was one of those "coverings" that kind of half filled a car windscreen in wet bits. There were come other pathetic "bits" of snow on some grass verges. It was the kind of "covering" which doesn't merit this post to be honest.

I think I've pretty much written off this winter for any kind of meaningful snow, let alone a proper cold spell.

Posted

Went to bed with temp below freezing and snow coming down with a nice cm blanket covering everything, awoke to a white scene but temps hovering around 1.2 degrees and the snow very wet dripping off roads and roofs but holding good on fields.

Alas still half of my garden path has a snow cover- it is north facing but patchy cover on grass. It was a cold raw day with some sleety bits and pieces. Temps have been stuck on 2 degrees all day, if the cloud breaks then we should get a frost making for an icy start to tomorrow.

Its been an average cold spell here, the type you would normally expect in an average winter, nothing special, but wintry all the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Woke up to what I can only describe as the most pathetic attempt at a covering of snow I think I've ever seen in my entire life.

It was one of those "coverings" that kind of half filled a car windscreen in wet bits. There were come other pathetic "bits" of snow on some grass verges. It was the kind of "covering" which doesn't merit this post to be honest.

I think I've pretty much written off this winter for any kind of meaningful snow, let alone a proper cold spell.

I have to agree.  This winter has seen quite a few cool spells, but no proper cold spell as yet.   Inland and high ground have seen quite a few falls of snow, which is better than last year.   I don't think I have seen as much sleet in one spell as the last week.

However its too premature to write off some real cold before February is out.

Posted

I actually managed a frost overnight the first since Saturday night / Sunday morning

current temp is -0.7c I'm hopeful some brighter spells will develop today

Posted

It's almost dead calm which is a rarity here in any season.
Snow refuses to melt but it's a rather unimpressive cover which will rapidly vanish at the weekend.
But a week of snow cover is more than we had last winter.

Posted

Unfortunately the cloud has proved more stubborn and hasn't lifted, it maybe a sunny start tomorrow but cloud will roll in, Saturday though looks a much better day though breezy with temps around 6c

Posted

Today its actually the coldest its felt all week with the breeze picking up

The cold weather alert expires at 12:00pm today

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Yes it's been bitter, here we have builders on the roof and it's just been an endurance test.
For a while it was -1 with 30mph wind but has gone above freezing now to a toasty 1.3C
Anyway they've done the important bit now and all is secure again.

More or less dry but did see fine snow flakes for a while.

Posted

My car thermometer today (within a 4/5 mile radius) has gone from a low of 1c at 06:50 to 9c at 19:30.

It actually felt semi pleasant this evening as the milder air does actually feel noticeably milder.

Posted

I have to agree.  This winter has seen quite a few cool spells, but no proper cold spell as yet.   Inland and high ground have seen quite a few falls of snow, which is better than last year.   I don't think I have seen as much sleet in one spell as the last week.

However its too premature to write off some real cold before February is out.

Maybe ... just maybe ...

... we have stumbled across a new type of reverse psychology weather forecasting?

Someone in the MOD thread mentioned "the wishbone effect" for later next week.

Gavin? Gavin? GAVIN? GAVINNNNNNNN?

REGIONAL HOSTS??????

Someone, anyone ... give our winter a lifeline!

• Like 1

Posted

Finally we've managed to shift that cloud although still cold its nice to see the sunshine returning

current temp is 2.2c with today's high likely to be around 5c

I remain cautious for next week we've had situations many times before only for the downgrades to arrive as it got closer

Posted

So when does the next big let down start?

next weekend, should be some more sleet showers to look forward to

• Like 2

Posted

So when does the next big let down start?

Next Wednesday afternoon.

post-2839-0-18709900-1422126076_thumb.gi

The let down will then continue into the weekend and into the next week with further

re-loads of let downs as we go through February. :D

• Like 3