Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

Temp is dropping and wintry showers moving in. Think we will have a covering in shropshire by the morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Yh wall to wall sunshine here nice crisp winters day

Posted

I'm right in the town centre and I can see blue sky.

Just shows  the nature of showers   here we have just had a shower  and still snowing  roads paths etc  covered   how bizaree

Posted

It's clouded over now, and looks murky, just had around a 1-2 minute shower of very fine graupel.

Posted

Sleet just started very fine though

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Starting to cloud over now..I'm guessing this is coming from your direction then :-P

Its coming from the NW so yes

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A snow shower lasting almost an hour gave a covering of just over 0.5cm this morning. It's thawed in the sun but is still lying in any shade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Although from a glass half full perspective the UK Met Office are advising of a wintry mix including snow for the next five days, any forecast after that time frame is just not worth considering unless disappointment and depression rock your particular boat,  but even in the extended time frame at the very least, includes freezing fog, severe frosts snow etc  etc.

Notwithstanding that at 11:08 today a level 3 cold weather alert has been issued for some parts of the midlands and level 2 for other parts.

I would therefore contend that for the next 2 weeks at least but most probably longer a seriously wintry outlook is unfolding.

Do not understand that just because GFS suggests it otherwise, then is must be so.

Off to fetch skis and ice climbing gear out of the loft and pour over maps of peak district, lake district and Snowdonia.

Enjoy

Edited by jimben
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Its coming from the NW so yes

How right you are, just taken my first look at the radar and yes it gone very dark looking NW towards Birmingham not expecting anything wintry here though... Currently 6.2c

EDIT..... HAIL

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Although from a glass half full perspective the UK Met Office are advising of a wintry mix including snow for the next five days, any forecast after that time frame is just not worth considering unless disappointment and depression rock your particular boat,  but even in the extended time, at the very least includes freezing fog, severe frosts snow etc  etc.

Notwithstanding that at 11:08 today a level 3 cold weather alert has been issued for some parts of the midlands and level 2 for other parts.

I would therefore contend that for the next 2 weeks at least but most probably longer a seriously wintry outlook is unfolding.

Do not understand that just because GFS suggest it then is must be so.

Off to fetch skis and ice climbing gear out of the loft and pour over maps of peak district, lake district and Snowdonia.

Enjoy

Yes wise words there in red, Me to.. Hopefully next weekend i'll be off to Snowdonia in full winter conditions!

Posted

Very dark skies to the north of us right now.

By the way, as some of you are probably aware, I work for the local NHS at Solihull Hospital. This morning, an winter weather advisory warning was issued by the Trust covering the whole of next week - the full text seemed to anticipate a potentially disruptive snow event Monday into Tuesday  :good:

Bish

• Like 2

Posted

Moderate Snow now falling here..

• Like 2

Posted

Blue sky has returned to Dudley, some cloud about and the sun has gone in.  Sharp temperature drop, now at 1.8C, at 1316Z it was 5.6C!

Edit: Sun now out! Nice day mode restored!

Edited by dudleyweather1

Posted

How right you are, just taken my first look at the radar and yes it gone very dark looking NW towards Birmingham not expecting anything wintry here though... Currently 6.2c

EDIT..... HAIL

I take that back! Loads of Hail then turned more to sleet with some big flakes and temps dropped to 2.9c from 6.2c in around 10mins Brrrrr :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

I take that back! Loads of Hail then turned more to sleet with some big flakes and temps dropped to 2.9c from 6.2c in around 10mins Brrrrr :cold:

Yes Dancer, Don't write anything off.. I expect lots of surprises over the coming days in what is a very fluid set-up  :)

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

The precipitation downdraught brings down those colder uppers briefly!

• Like 1

Posted

Seems oldbury is just missing all these showers just one sleet shower otherwise sunny

Posted

Yes Dancer, Don't write anything off.. I expect lots of surprises over the coming days in what is a very fluid set-up  :)

Oh! yes PM....I mentioned this earlier;

"As early as yesterday morning there was no talk at all of anything in the channel inwhich could now make it's way inland and as far as the South Midlands come sunday"

if it does that is.....Finger crossed   :)   but this wasn't even predicted a day or so ago!!!! so who knows what might happen come next TUES/WEDS".... Interesting times ahead!!!!

By the way.......I LOVE SURPRISES  :cold:  :cold: :cold:

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Just missed the first big black cloud from our NW.....a few more on the horizon to keep us occupied

Hail + snow on drive home from Halesowen

Edit Looking like incoming clouds will slip to the N of Brum

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

Hello from a Midlands newbie it has gone really really dark in Mansfield Nottinghamshire :)

• Like 3