Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Sleet falling here. I have vague hopes of a spell of snow before temperatures rise in the morning, courtesy of the warm sector.

Posted

Snowing heavily at Dowlais Top but nothing seems to be settling as of yet, and I doubt it will.

Heavy sleet here.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Snow on the hilltops of the mountains here this morning. Rain at 700 feet though.

Posted

Pouring here and currently 5degrees,my son was hoping for snow on his birthday which is today,no show :( .... Never mind always next year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

This has to be one of the quietest winters for this thread. Even last year with it's nothing winter generated some posts

woody

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

its just been such a long wait for snow that I think unless the charts come up with something promising soon then it may stay like this until summer.

to start a topic what's everyone's first memory of their first snowfall?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Seems dead as we don't have Andymusic posting these days :smiliz21:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Dbaloo, my first vague memory is being on an old double bus, top floor full of smoke, going through our local town of Shirley in Southampton, seeing all the snow. That, or when I was also very young it snowed one winter and on the distance we could see blue flashes of the electric trains. I had bad earache and the dr struggled to get out to us and I sat on the window cill of our bay window.  Both must have been in the mid to late sixties when I was about 4 - 6 I guess.

Good topic!

woody

• Like 2

Posted

Seems dead as we don't have Andymusic posting these days :smiliz21:

He will be back once he sniffs the Snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

It is quiet here this Winter. I'm guilty of popping in, looking for a miracle and skulking back out the door again.

I remember the snowfalls of the 80's. Rolling out the front in the snow, burying friends and snowball fights galore, but then I remember the compacted snow and ice that seemed to last for weeks after. I used to pretend to skate everywhere, many many falls and sore bums.

My sister got married in January 1982. That was the biggest snowfall I have ever witnessed to hit Cardiff. The drifts came at least 7-8 foot up the windows of our house. The neighbours had to dig a path to the main road, so the car could pick my sister up and take her to the church. It was FREEZING stood around in a bridesmaid dress. What i wouldn't give to experience that level of snow and cold again! :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

My first memory was when i was about 7 or 8. my parents had booked the pub for my birthday party in the afternoon (feb 11th). i remember waking up and them saying we may have to cancel you party because of the snow that's forecast, but don't worry we can have all your friends who can make it here in the house.................sure enough it hammered with snow from about 9 am and the party was cancelled. at that age i really didn't care it was snowing on my birthday and that's all that mattered!

• Like 2

Posted

Duw Duw mae fel y bedd yma i le aeth pawb? I chwilio am yr eira am wn i!

Good gosh it's quiet here, where did everyone go? To look for some snow i suspect!

I wonder if simon keelings monthly predictions will pose true and we will see a steady drop off in temperatures and then a more lenghy cold spell come the end of this month. Have already seen snow this winter (all be it only a dusting) but it's far better than last year already in terms of frosts, ice and weather in general, let's be positive folks.

• Like 2

Tempted to go to Greece to get sun mid winter Sun Snow.

Bitterly cold winds of Arctic origin has caused some heavy snowfall, caused by Low Pressure systems others by "lake effect" snow.

With snow on the beach at Crete and over 50cm of snow over the mountains of Crete.

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU

post-213-0-01572000-1420672904_thumb.png

As for Wales, some colder air over the weekend (for a time), could give some mountain snow here too,

post-213-0-47969600-1420673023_thumb.jpg

Of course NW winds from the Atlantic are heavily moderated by they time they get here, severely restricting wintry potential at lower levels.

Edited by J10

Posted

Tempted to go to Greece to get sun mid winter Sun Snow.

Bitterly cold winds of Arctic origin has caused some heavy snowfall, caused by Low Pressure systems others by "lake effect" snow.

With snow on the beach at Crete and over 50cm of snow over the mountains of Crete.

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU

attachicon.gifGreece Cold.png

Plus record cold in Hawaii HALOOA :rofl:Mauna_Kea_snow_ice_5Jan2015.jpg

5 Jan 2015 – The National Weather Service said Monday morning’s low temperature of 57 degrees at the Honolulu Airport beat the previous low for this date of 60 degrees.

It also beat a older low temperature record for Honolulu set in 1893 of 58 degrees.

On Kauai, the low of 57 degrees at the Lihue Airport beat tied a record of 57 degrees set in 1993.

It’s the second day of record low temperatures.(picture of The road to the summit of Mauna Kea remained closed Monday morning because of snow and ice.)

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

He will be back once he sniffs the Snow!

Andy curtains will be twitching soon if this chart verifies for the 15 of January cold  N westerly flow h500slp.png

• Like 2

Posted

Andy curtains will be twitching soon if this chart verifies for the 15 of January cold  N westerly flow h500slp.png

Yn sicr! Indeed!

Still a long way off mind, wouldn't be surprised if high ground above say 300m saw something this weekend but still nothing substantial for lower levels, but I mean look at how cold it is towards Canada/North West of us, any north westerly will certainly be fairly potent! Huge cold pool to our North West!

• Like 1

Yn sicr! Indeed!

Still a long way off mind, wouldn't be surprised if high ground above say 300m saw something this weekend but still nothing substantial for lower levels, but I mean look at how cold it is towards Canada/North West of us, any north westerly will certainly be fairly potent! Huge cold pool to our North West!

We are overdue a cold polar flow with snow streamers.

and Arctic Maritime flows are more productive than Polar Maritime flows.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

Much better charts for snow prospects next week, cross model too, if these play out then expect anywhere above 200m to get a foot of snow!

However stormy looking charts too, flooding and damaging winds in prospect along with snow at times.

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 2

Posted

Getting very windy here. Half an hour ago it was almost calm.

Pete

Posted

I have looked at my local weather for the next 7 days, and got to be honest felt a little bit excited when I saw the snow symbol. :clapping:

• Like 2

Posted

Much better charts for snow prospects next week, cross model too, if these play out then expect anywhere above 200m to get a foot of snow!

However stormy looking charts too, flooding and damaging winds in prospect along with snow at times.

Tony calls snow ,GET THE SLEDGES OUT! :yahoo: 

• Like 2

Posted

Wind has picked up here very gusty now with heavy sqaulls! Snow prospects next week look much better than anything we've seen thus far...in 2015 :p! Wales always does well with streamers and convection off the irish sea, watch this space.

• Like 1

Posted

Wind has picked up here very gusty now with heavy sqaulls! Snow prospects next week look much better than anything we've seen thus far...in 2015 :p! Wales always does well with streamers and convection off the irish sea, watch this space.

The snow charts are worth keeping an eye on the first signs of change are now appearing uksnowrisk.png

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1