Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lowest min temperature winter 2014 - 2015 season

damianslaw

Posted

I remember once having a list of the coldest temperature by year, going all the way back to 1910 I think, although for the life of me can't find it on the internet again. I don't remember seeing any single digit minima on there, so if I'm right then this year could be the first for over 100 years in which it has happened.

There is one previous instance of a single digit minimum, and that was -8.4c, just down the road from here at Grantown on Spey (Feb. 1990)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Temperatures are quite low tonight in the Highlands before the trough moves down. Widely -4 or so. One reading sticks out from Traffic Scotland which are usually accurate. They have Calvine, just South of Drummochter pass in Highland Perthshire with an air temp of -9.2C. Just seems a little low compared with nearby sites?

Posted

Looks like we are seeing the coldest temp of the winter so far based on statistic above..

Anyone post the coldest temp in England so far..

Posted

The list I had was for the UK as a whole. I'm certain of this because Logie Coldstone was a frequently named location.

Maybe someone can find it. For some reason or another I've got the university of Dundee in my head in relation to it, perhaps it was compiled by someone there?Not 100% sure about that, though.

You are right about surprise minima, I'd suggest that temperatures close to -8C in southern England, without snow cover, is actually pretty good going. Yet on other occasions you can struggle with more favourable conditions, at least on paper.

The list is maintained by Trevor Harley - you are right as he is Professor of Cognitive Psychology at Dundee University.

He has put together a huge amount of material and his pages are found here: http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/britweather.htm

His lists of maximum and minimum temperatures each year are here: http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/hottest_and_coldest_days.htm

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nothing really cold here -1.7C so far in December.

Posted

The list is maintained by Trevor Harley - you are right as he is Professor of Cognitive Psychology at Dundee University.

He has put together a huge amount of material and his pages are found here: http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/britweather.htm

His lists of maximum and minimum temperatures each year are here: http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/hottest_and_coldest_days.htm

Thanks a lot for finding it! Interesting reading.

@bbcweather 

-14C at Loch Glascarnoch late yesterday  -7C at Heathrow overnight. As for right now (6:19am)

Heathrow minimum at 6am of -6.7°C, the low point may have been after this and reported in tomorrow's SYNOP, but in any case only two nights were colder in December 2010 with snow cover and none in winter 2009/10. Two values around the same value during the cold easterly spell in 2012 again with snow cover, so quite impressive for this location.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I'll resurrect this thread again, hoping to see some action in it over the coming days perhaps somewhere in England could break the -10 figure come middle of next week?

Tomorrow night will see the start of some proper cold nights courtesy of lighter winds and clear skies, initially in the north but also further south come middle of the week. Wednesday night currently looking to be possibly the coldest night of the season so far for many..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Amazing after 3 spells of lingering wintery weather I have only recorded a paltry -3 deg on one day late December.With the exception of last year we almost always get a -5 or -6 even in a poor winter !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Was hoping to easily break this seasons record last night and it looked good with -1 at 6pm and -2 at bedtime so I was more than surprised to record a -2 deg minimum with a - 1 deg at 6 am when I got up !! Cloud had arrived overnight,yet 20 miles down the road they had - 8 deg!!

Posted

Last night was apparently the coldest night of the year so far in England. Shap recorded -9.1C

Not surprised Shap held the record low, it was -4 degrees at 9pm. I awoke to -6 degrees, it possibly got down close to -7 degrees, making it the coldest night of the season so far.

It won't be as cold over Cumbria tonight due to more cloud cover and a light wind.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

My lowest is -8.4c 29 Dec, that would be a typical Winter minimum.

Posted

Amazing after 3 spells of lingering wintery weather I have only recorded a paltry -3 deg on one day late December.With the exception of last year we almost always get a -5 or -6 even in a poor winter !!!

It's a similar story here. This winter has been diabolical for frost. There is a breeze all the time. Haven't managed lower than -4.0C on 27th Dec, -3.9C this year and -3.1C from this pitiful cold spell.  

Only last winter and 2006/07 failed to reach -5C in my 10 year records and of the rest all but 2007/08 managed at least -6C.