Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 02/07/15 Onward - Heat & Plumes

Posted

Paul where would you go to if you could get out. Might be able to get out tonight at about 7:30. Where would you surgest I should go to??

Posted

Camera at the ready, won't be chasing but will sit in the Cotswolds and see what comes around. Need some rain desperately for my crops but could do without the huge hail as would strip them!

Posted

Almost impossible for forecasting models to pin down precip in these sort of situations, but some subtle differences between the 00z and 06z on the NetWx model - the 06z breaks out a bit more over the southeast, brings a bit more into East Anglia later and delays the 'lining out' of the storms until a bit later on. 

Much like the Met Office though, it's pointing towards the Midlands and Wales northward in terms of the potential for biggest rain totals etc, but bear in mind that this is chiefly because further south and east anything which does break out could be very isolated, but still severe..

Midnight - 00z

post-2-0-84704600-1435925567_thumb.png

Midnight - 06z

post-2-0-51734200-1435925578_thumb.png

4am - 00z

post-2-0-97589000-1435925575_thumb.png

4am - 06z

post-2-0-31064400-1435925577_thumb.png

Beyond the precip, plenty of energy and plenty of shear available!

post-2-0-83453800-1435925811_thumb.png

• Like 2

Posted

The radar shows this stuff is actually making an effort to avoid my area.

attachicon.gifUK_RAIN3HR_24.jpg

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-07-03 at 13.10.39.png

No one should take this...or any forecast literaly.  All that shows is scattered thunderstorms. People should be realistic. Unless you are willing to drive 100 Miles + then most of is will not see storms directly over head....I would bet my house on that!

• Like 2

Posted

I feel strangely optimistic about something happening over Peterborough tonight..... If we are lucky I will try and get a good video for you all  :)

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Paul

Is your 4km running a CU scheme, and is it nested or a straight 4km grid?

It's nested down from our MR (12km) model. It's currently running a CU scheme on both, as we've found that's the best performer at the moment. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Still plenty of uncertainty even at this late hour ,but looks like wales west country west midlands and later further north could be the hot spot .

It must be a forecasters nightmare knowing where any storms will break out and possible intensity .

And also looking now that one or so notable ones could run further east .

certainly a case of radar watching and sat view later this evening especially after 7pm as the light will show up storm tops good at this angle .If i was a storm chaser i would base myself probably somewhere in shropshire but just a rough guide ,Sky here gone very milky and feels humid now also wind we had as now died out .

one spectacular storm passing over my area will please me ,but if its good enough areas around will still catch a good display .

so best of luck to all  :drinks:

• Like 1

Posted

For some reason our internet has decided to start playing up most of the time again, how convenient! so getting this post in while I can (haven't read last few pages yet), was feeling rather unsure of where to but glad my thoughts and instinct is in line with what Paul is thinking!

I do think the wording of the Met Office warning may not be completely correct in only really mentioning Wales/NW and the Midlands for greatest disruption risk (though maybe that's for rainfall totals not just intense storms), though I could be wrong. Also aware the warning map still includes the SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Thinking I might be in with a better chance tonight in south Bucks. And if there's a clearer picture come the evening, I might head off in the car and chase. 

From all the posts I've just read: The north-west of the south-east doesn't sound like a bad place to be! 

Edited by UKSupercell
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Upgrade on UKMO too!!! This is for 2200

post-3790-0-58637500-1435927243_thumb.jp

This now very much in agreement with NMM...bear in mind, both the NMM and UKMO (especially) has been the enemy of the SE.

All we need now is Euro4 to fall in line....actually, all we need now is for the storms to actually happen, but you get my drift

For some reason our internet has decided to start playing up most of the time again, how convenient! so getting this post in while I can (haven't read last few pages yet), was feeling rather unsure of where to but glad my thoughts and instinct is in line with what Paul is thinking!

I do think the wording of the Met Office warning may not be completely correct in only really mentioning Wales/NW and the Midlands for greatest disruption risk (though maybe that's for rainfall totals not just intense storms), though I could be wrong. Also aware the warning map still includes the SE.

Look at my post above ET :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Bbc weather sorted skipped over the southeast for storms saying it was uncertainty, pretty impressive set ups over the last couple of days, especially for the UK, I woNder if lightning will strike twice haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Also of interest to note, there is a fairly significant difference between the UKMO and NMM (as the two charts I've most recently looked at) in relation to timing.

UKMO has the storms rattling north by 1am, where as NMM suggests thunderstorms could still be knocking around southern areas at 2am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

I've got an early start to help my sister with a summer fete tomorrow even though I know nothing has started yet does anyone have an idea when said storms or rain will have cleared North from ME or is it not certain yet

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Any predictions on the size of hail to be expected?

just did a street poll, and this chap said..

"6 foot wide mate, I'm telling ya"

post-4149-0-50281900-1435927612_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Depending on what happens, I was thinking of heading South and up onto Long Mynd, East options on the M54 are decent too, as I can think of a few goo panoramic views. North a nightmare as it involves the A49 and its pretty flat, and slow as to drive if the rain is heavy. If its more out to wales the A5 gets me to Oswestry pretty quick and know lots of good spots around there... Prepared to go a fair distance tonight, if its warranted. 

Going to have to nick the wife's phone for a radar, and use mine to stream. Got to get over that issue first! 

Have PM'd you.

Posted

According to bbc weather there didn't seem to be much action east of oxford, I would think the best place to start chasing from would be worcester?? In a prime location for tonight but crucially also on the doorstep of the M5, so if need be can quickly head further north or south.

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

A load of high level cloud has arrived in the last hour, so the sun is now hazy. Humidity has shot up though. Is this good or bad?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Loads of friends going up now like big friends (AcCas) thats what we call them lol 

ohh its on its side :(

post-12008-0-18117300-1435928078_thumb.j

Edited by Stormyking
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Looking to chase a few miles in the early hours.....from my living room to my balcony
I`ll be streaming for the long haul tonight/ morning

Hoping to catch a few distant thunder heads at least... or indeed anything that can break the cap of storm despair which is rooted over Birmigham atm

Best of luck all...and keep taking the photos :)

• Like 4

Posted

Interesting and brief comment to chuck into the mix...

Early this morning Meto forecast of precip for my area was 5%.  Up to 40% chance of precip now.

This suggests a change in the Meto and I think the core area to be will between Eastbourne and Bournemouth if you're on the South Coast.  Then move northwards.  Could be an interesting an active night.

Watch AND listen carefully to the forecasts.  They're not saying what some people think!

• Like 1