Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Is this the Winter of the future?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, Daniel* said:

You missed Feb 2012 it was very cold in eastern half of the country. No one has said that? Although we did have a cluster of cold winters its easy to think summat is up, this run we're having of mild, wet driven winters is not unheard of, we'll get another 1947 one day as well as the opposite to this. The winter is really in its infancy it is too early to say as a whole the winter has panned out, I'm not with this winter of the future malarkey. 

Was it really? I was in Penge in February 2012, and apart from a week or so (and a few flakes of snow) it was nothing out of the ordinary...

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Was it really? I was in Penge in February 2012, and apart from a week or so (and a few flakes of snow) it was nothing out of the ordinary...

Yes I believe in the first week of February much of the country experienced significant snowfall as Atlantic clashed against the bitterly cold air entrenched to the east. 

This particular day was very snowy I think:

image.thumb.png.877c28f899624aa4477f66b2image.thumb.png.66a38390cbd7238514f7eacf

Posted

February 2012 was a month of two halves even here in the east where we got the cold spell. The first 14 days of the month had a mean of 0.6C for us, but that was more than balanced out by an exceptionally mild last 15 days, which averaged 8.1C.

Apart from that first half of February which had 10 days of lying snow at 0900 and 5 days of falling sleet/snow here, the rest of the winter was completely snowless, as was the extended Autumn/Spring season for lying snow aswell.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 5:09 PM, Ed Stone said:

Another thing that has surprisingly been forgotten about is that February 2012 had one of the warmest second halves on record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
On 25/12/2015 at 4:56 PM, Lake District Blizzards said:

Remember a few weeks ago seeing a metoffice graphic of christmas day in 2050 with 17c in the south and 14c north

That's pretty much the ways its been all December, and probably much of January too

Point is the associated weather is clearly constant flooding, no sunshine, storms and gales with a raging jet stream

If this is what winters of the future have in store then i fear many places such as the Lake District will become uninhabitable due to constant record breaking flooding. Wettest on records used to last for decades, now they barely last a season or two, in this case one month after the other. 

After winter 13/14 i didnt think we would be seeing an even worse repeat in just 2 years. This really is unchartered territory 

To answer your question. No this is not the winter of the future. I firmly believe we are in a transition phase which has put the jet directly over us and to a lesser degree last couple of years also. As we hit the bottom off this solar cycle we will see the jet slip further south which will lead to colder winters as we move towards the 20's and 30's.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 10:32 AM, IHaveNoTrueFriendsNow! said:

Another thing that has surprisingly been forgotten about is that February 2012 had one of the warmest second halves on record.

And another thing feb 2012 was it gave lots of freezing rain and coverings of ice well here with an old fashioned first half of feb.

• 2 weeks later...