Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Thanks. It just irks me that a city the size of Leeds doesn't have an official weather station when most cities of its size in Europe do. LBA is too unrepresentative of the city due to its much higher elevation. After Church Fenton closed, there's really no accessible data for this area now. 

Seems to me like the Met Office are just a bit crap in that regard.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
17 minutes ago, cheese said:

Thanks. It just irks me that a city the size of Leeds doesn't have an official weather station when most cities of its size in Europe do. LBA is too unrepresentative of the city due to its much higher elevation. After Church Fenton closed, there's really no accessible data for this area now. 

Seems to me like the Met Office are just a bit crap in that regard.

The US National Weather Service (NWS) seem to have a decent network of official weather stations in their cities, not only at the airports but a lot of them in downtown areas & dotted around suburbs too of the same city. A pity we don't have that sort of extensive network here with the Met Office as there can be interesting differences in a lot of our towns & cities over short spaces as Thundery wintry showers pointed out with Leeds being one example.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Gorgeous evening here with clear skies and good views of the moon and planets. Temp still 20C at 00:30, can't beat this sort of weather. Really hope we get loads more of this until the end of summer, might make up for the vileness endured so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
6 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Gorgeous evening here with clear skies and good views of the moon and planets. Temp still 20C at 00:30, can't beat this sort of weather. Really hope we get loads more of this until the end of summer, might make up for the vileness endured so far.

Thankfully i've got aircon in the bedroom so can avoid such temps at night! Would find that very uncomfortable would make indoor temp about 24-25c,way to warm.

Posted
14 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Embrace the heat I suggest if only we got a more lengthy spell after a while you adapt to it somewhat not sure why folk are blabbering on for it makes for a nice change. :) 

Not sure why folk are blabbering on about "embracing" the heat

Too hot for golf, sleeping difficult, workplace stifling.....

Sunny and 22'c is adequate :nonono:

• Like 3

Posted
55 minutes ago, NickMdx said:

Yup, what he said

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

I see it as a challenge - will any (proper sustained) sleep be achieved tonight with a low in the high teens, let alone tomorrow night with one around 20*C or so?

Given that last night it took until around 1am for me to cool down enough, I expect it's going to be tricky. Yet I prefer to see such extremes of weather rather than weeks and weeks of monotony.

Each to their own, of course :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

London city airport is showing 21c at 08:20

I wonder if we'll manage 30c somewhere in the London area today?

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

The sky is completely obscured by a layer of cloud here this morning - and it shows no signs of disappearing. Very disappointing, I have to say.

Forecast says it will break up by around 10am, though it'll have to get a move on soon! Nothing more annoying than completely unforecast cloud that takes ages to go away.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Blue skies and 20C already here.

Phoenix park in Dublin is reporting 23C at 9am.
http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Posted
31 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

London city airport is showing 21c at 08:20

I wonder if we'll manage 30c somewhere in the London area today?

Definitely feels like it sweating buckets walking the streets of London and it's only gone past 9.

Posted
1 hour ago, NickMdx said:

I'm not disputing that but we ought to grow a pair it is manageable IMO we do not see extreme temperatures parts of the globe see, if we all had AC we would cope fine our climate ain't up for that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I sympathise with those who find the sleeping difficult in such weather; I'm certainly one that needs 8 hours minimum to function properly throughout the day. However, nobody can deny that we are overdue a spell like this - it should happen once if not twice every summer and this looks like our first bout of proper heat, rather than the humid warmth we had in the first third of June.

It's not ideal but simple things like leaving the curtains closed, perhaps even keeping the windows closed during the day and opening at night, pulling the duvet back for the day etc. can help in creating a more sleep-friendly environment. I have to do all of these things as my room faces west and heats up last thing in the day.

Oh well, despite working flat out the next two days before going on holiday on Wednesday, I'm just going to look forward to feeling of walking outside and feeling the heat. It's a novelty in this country, and by Thursday it will be fresher for all.

• Like 1

Posted

Still cloudy here. Quite annoying. It's 21.5C despite the cloud though so if the sun does manage to break through today then it will surely rocket. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Cloud completely gone now and temperature responding fast. 23C already.

Posted

Undeniably the trend is hotter I did punt 34C who knows maybe we will reach 35C? Rather exceptional heat for the British Isles not concentrated for the southeastern corner either, 32C is v impressive for NW. 

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UK hot spots now are;

Teesside and Holbeach both are at 25c

London City Airport is close behind at 24c

Posted

Cloud broken up more thoroughly now, and temperature is responding - up to 23C, with a dew point of 19C (our highest so far this year) and RH of 79% - so humid it most certainly is (though not warm enough to feel uncomfortable IMO).