Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 1st June onwards

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

If it isn't going to be mid summer weather, I'd rather it be overcast than buckets of pointless rain or a so called thunderstorm giving one flash of lightning and yet more buckets of rain.

It may not be hot and sunny, but at least I'm able to run and dog walk in the dry and it still feels pleasant when the sun breaks through.

If it isn't sunny and pleasant, overcast is the next best thing in my book - As long as it doesn't rain i'm happy. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Average ish conditions are fine.

All this rain has very much weakened the type of hay fever I get so I am happy.

Also saved me hours of watering the garden so even happier.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Lovely day here once the cloud cleared, wish I didn't take my coat out with me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

A new month, but the same old weather - at least for now - with grey skies and drizzle to start here. There are breaks appearing in the cloud satellite, so hopefully some sunshine later. Currently 16C.

Cloud Fri01July 07.20.jpg

June was very wet here with my weather station recording 116mm, that's well over the long-term average for Suffolk of 50mm. A couple of spells of heavy, thundery rain largely responsible - particularly the 11th June when around three quarters of an inch fell in one hour causing flooding in the town.

Posted

In the race to get my washing in this week, I ran up the bank, grabbed the washing and slipped on the wet grass, breaking a toe. Had it with this weather - it's the season when try washing should be at its easiest. I haven't had any balmy evening walks either - and I haven't yet seen a glow worm. And my mini pumpkins haven't flowered at all when the should be setting about now. Sorry about my weather whinge.

Here's an odd thing. 4am-ish Thursday last week (EU Ref day) I was woken by an really intense rain shower. As I was drifting back to sleep I heard a snap, then a crash.  As we are decorating at the moment, I thought the crash came from the front room as things are piled high - but I found nothing. When I woke a couple of hours later and opened the curtains, I was stunned to see a huge 15ft bow of an old damson tree had snapped in the garden. It had been learning yet secure for years - but I was surprised to see a shower finish it off. Meanwhile, another very healthy, enormous tree in the garden just randomly lost two 12ft huge branches in the same rain shower. A friend a mile away was up eating as it was Ramadam - she said she saw lightning with no thunder.  It's just really strange how an intense rain shower could have badly damaged two trees.

• Like 1

Posted

Been overcast all day with pockets of drizzle now and then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A few light showers, a lot of cloud but we have been fortunate up here to get a few sunnier breaks.

• Like 1

Posted

365 days ago our region was simmering a July record 36.7C recorded at Heathrow the synoptic of the time is not so dissimilar to of present however the trough was c.1000 miles west of British Isles. 

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Sunny but cool for Bubs school fete. On a plus note the school field is in a lovely area to watch those storms develop and we live close enough to make a ran for it too.

Only kidding, they always seem to pick bad days every year and I hope it doesn't rain for them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the day has starting okay, lots of sunshine in south Essex, off to Bluewater today so it isn't like the weather is going to affect my daily plans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Some sharp, thundery showers over parts of Norfolk today, though we missed most of them.  Saw a good cumulonimbus glaciated anvil around 1/2 an hour ago to the south/south-east from a vantage point near Brooke (for anyone that knows that neck of the woods).  In general, though, it's been a much better day than many of recent, with some pleasant warm sunshine this afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

We've just had heavy rain and sferics from a cell that approached from the west, but the cell appeared to lose energy to another over the Broads to my east.  Dramatic cloudscapes and lightning in the fading light, though.

Posted

Been an alright day here in between the showers....in the sun when it came out yay it was quite warm.  

Edited by Tommo1969

Posted

Had a couple of showers this afternoon, one of which produced a rumble. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Finally had a reasonably decent storm of sorts with visible lightning as it passed a few miles to the SW. 

Posted

Well the day has started off bright and sunny, to be honest the coming week looks okay with not too much rain and pleasantly warm temperatures. If the jetstream can lift far enough north then the mid twenties could be possible by the end of the week.

Posted

Today has been a fine day, temperatures up to 21C so near enough to the seasonal average.

Posted

I agree. it's been a really nice day here in Cambridge. Sun was quite hot in between the clouds and less wind. I think, even though it's not been wonderful, it's slightly better than last summer. 

Posted

Been a lovely day today, which was good as it was Dover carnival day. Lot's of fun was had by the whole family. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Not a bad weekend at all. Just one sharp shower on Saturday afternoon, otherwise a reasonable amount of sunny spells, pleasant temps (21C yesterday) and some very interesting cloudscapes to enjoy.

Beautiful start to today with no cloud and no wind. Shame that sheet of cloud over the SW of the UK is heading steadily our way to bring a cloudy afternoon.

Cloud Mon04July 07.50.jpg

Posted

After a day of nice blue sky's the cloud has started to role in. Just fluffy bits of nothing though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Tell you what, Alexis: as Kent are currently getting tonked by Essex, in the CC (473-6!:shok:) I hope it peeses down tomorrow!