Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Nice wee surprise covering this morning. Wasn't expecting that at all as I have been too busy to keep a close eye on the models these past few days.

Happy Christmas to all by the way!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, BREIFMAN11 said:

Cold still morning. Interesting overnight, lamp post watching time again.

Lamppost watching tonight? Are we in line for more potential? Totally out of the loop re models these past few days!

16 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

Lamppost watching tonight? Are we in line for more potential? Totally out of the loop re models these past few days!

I'm not expecting anything substantial here but from around nine onwards looks well, just any precipitation very sparse. Models have been all over the place, they all seem to be grieving in the model thread .

Also, Arpege 06Z for the 30th at 3am

4h7klRG.png

Edited by Guest

Posted

Bitterly cold today ice remained on paths all day with a few snow showers throughout the day currently getting which looks to be the last of the snow showers for tonight slight dusting, eyes down for potential snow Friday morning you never know.

This winter has been much better than the previous few and we are only through official the 1st week of winter.:)

Edited by booferking

Posted
9 hours ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

I'm not expecting anything substantial here but from around nine onwards looks well, just any precipitation very sparse. Models have been all over the place, they all seem to be grieving in the model thread .

Also, Arpege 06Z for the 30th at 3am

4h7klRG.png

Cheers for the update. I'm doing my local community's 5 miles race (Lough5) at midday on 31st. Could be some issues if that comes to pass!

Edited by Sperrin

Posted

It's a fair aul climb alright, I've been out practising it a lot recently. Should be good craic all the same! 

Posted

What's your thoughts on my chances over in the west MS? I'm at 180asl.

Posted

Nice festive cold spell currently, haven’t been on here in a while with all the Christmas parties to keep me occupied. MetO have just issued warning for snow and ice so thought I would have a look and see what’s happening.

new date for diary......8th jan for country wide snow event.....long way off but something to cheer us up getting back to first full week of work.

Don’t know what to make of the warning for overnight......lamppost’s at the ready

9FAC25F7-51B4-4B75-A996-CFCDB9433C14.png

Edited by Weegaz
  • Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Nice festive cold spell currently, haven’t been on here in a while with all the Christmas parties to keep me occupied. MetO have just issued warning for snow and ice so thought I would have a look and see what’s happening.

new date for diary......8th jan for country wide snow event.....long way off but something to cheer us up getting back to first full week of work.

Don’t know what to make of the warning for overnight......lamppost’s at the ready

9FAC25F7-51B4-4B75-A996-CFCDB9433C14.png

Yeah a few in the model thread have mentioned the dates around the 6th-8th of January as the next point of interest. Lovely hard frost here today and blue skies for a change!!

Posted
2 hours ago, Sperrin said:

What's your thoughts on my chances over in the west MS? I'm at 180asl.

You are right on the boundary height wise, I suspect you will see a snowy sleety mix. I can't see it sticking but it's so marginal that it's very hard to predict. Who knows, you might wake up to a blizzard tomorrow morning, but i wouldn't count on it.

• Thanks 1

Posted

The guy that grits at my work is inearly today as temperatures dip from this afternoon but it’s due to rain after 3am. I want snow lol 

Posted

Nice graphic for us in the west from the met on their Facebook page, going to be touch and go!

IMG_0148.JPG

41 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

Nice graphic for us in the west from the met on their Facebook page, going to be touch and go!

IMG_0148.JPG

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A band of snow and rain is expected to move northeastwards over Northern Ireland later on Thursday night and during Friday morning. Snow is more likely over the north and west of Northern Ireland where it will fall to low levels for a time before tending to turn to rain towards dawn. Elsewhere any snow will be temporary and the greater risk is for rain to fall onto frozen surfaces leading to ice for an hour or two after the rain begins.

Posted

BBC graphics look good but i really can't see much away from high ground but there could be a few surprises. Today was a cracking ice day!! Took this shot earlier with the drone over looking Lough Swilly in Donegal. 

2017-12-28 21.20.27.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

I'm sitting at -1.9°C with a dew point of -3.8°C, it'll definitely start as snow, all depends on how long conditions remain favourable for duration.

Some of the guys over on the NW ENGLAND forum posting interesting images of lows sliding in over next 48hrs. Looks to be some great potential on those for large parts of Ireland!

• Like 1