Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/1/2017 ---->

A.J

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mike the Fish said:

Good Morning Guys

Long time lurker here, been a member for probably 5 years on and off and thought it was about time I popped my head round the door to say hello to my fellow South/South West residents :hi:.

An interesting day weather wise, hope at least some of us see the white stuff :wink:.

I will keep you posted from here in sunny sunny Bournemouth!!  Actually just started to rain lol

Welcome to the friendliest crew on NW, hop on for the ride..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Hmmmmmmm

is this a polar low developing??

look at the shape of that ppn hook coming through perfect comma shape.

IMG_1754.PNG

I am no expert in these things and not sure if the upper air is cold enough for polar low development. But the shape of that ppn caught my eye.

IMG_1755.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Hmmmmmmm

IMG_1754.PNG

I am no expert in these things and not sure if the upper air is cold enough for polar low development. But the shape of that ppn caught my eye.

IMG_1755.PNG

isnt that the band of snow thats coming south for fri morning ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

Hmmmmmmm

IMG_1754.PNG

IMG_1755.PNG

We must be missing the frame where is magically parts like the red sea around somerset and Bristol before reforming  :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
Just now, Lamposangel delightcher said:

I'm on about the hook of ppn over our region, this is for 1am Friday morning, the ppn over Scotland is fridays main low.

its not showing as an upper feature on that GFS chart I was just highlighting the 500 temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

morning troopers, well, let the fun and games begin!.....currently light rain here with air temp of 3.7C and dewpoint of 2.6C, with a bit of elevation here (150m) hopefully will see a bit of the white stuff towards late afternoon.....good luck everyone! :)

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Lamposangel delightcher said:

Oops I see the one you are referring to. Doesn't show on the fax charts, so possibly a small feature.

The other one in the top right current tracks suggest it flows away to the South East after tracking down the East coast.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy

For what it's worth I suspect many of us will see flakes falling later this afternoon and early evening, but I can't see much settling for our areas (talking Wiltshire and the west). I do think however that some of us could see some settled snow overnight from the showers. Not easy to predict those, just need to hope really...

Posted

morning,

I'm relying on this thread today to save me from acute embarrassment today. I live in Bournemouth but I'm at work in Fleet - I cannot afford to get stuck today. What chance? Have to do nursery pick up in Bomo by 6pm and my wife is home ill so she can't bail me out.

Am I doomed?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow
19 minutes ago, jethro said:

Morning Mike and welcome. You're either brave or bonkers for joining in, especially on a day like today!

Thank you for the warm welcome.  Probably a bit of both to be honest!! :wallbash:

Having a had a quick look at the latest charts, I think unless you have a bit of altitude most places are going to get rain/sleet and I also think this band is going to go through a lot quicker than expected with out giving the cold a chance to dig in.

I hope im wrong and ever the optimist, now back to the radar lol  

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Welcome to the friendliest crew on NW, hop on for the ride..

Thank you my fellow south dorset friend, I think its gonna be a bumpy ride today.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Certain kind of fool said:

morning,

I'm relying on this thread today to save me from acute embarrassment today. I live in Bournemouth but I'm at work in Fleet - I cannot afford to get stuck today. What chance? Have to do nursery pick up in Bomo by 6pm and my wife is home ill so she can't bail me out.

Am I doomed?

After many hours of rain and warm ground temperatures, apart from the nutters in the M3 traffic as they panic (oh and the M3 bump south of Basingstoke)(Oh and the speed camera on the spur road) I would think you'll be driving in snow but unlikely to cause major hiatus. 

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

After many hours of rain and warm ground temperatures, apart from the nutters in the M3 traffic as they panic toning (oh and the M3 bump south of Basingstoke)(Oh and the speed camera on the spur road) I would think you'll be driving in snow but unlikely to cause major hiatus. 

Although Winchester could be fun 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

After many hours of rain and warm ground temperatures, apart from the nutters in the M3 traffic as they panic toning (oh and the M3 bump south of Basingstoke)(Oh and the speed camera on the spur road) I would think you'll be driving in snow but unlikely to cause major hiatus. 

that's pretty much the conclusion I'd come to yesterday. I just worry about that elevation at Basingstoke. I will just keep watching this thread and seeing how things pan out.

Posted
1 minute ago, Certain kind of fool said:

that's pretty much the conclusion I'd come to yesterday. I just worry about that elevation at Basingstoke. I will just keep watching this thread and seeing how things pan out.

try and check the webcam sites I posted earlier as they give good coverage of the M3

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
7 minutes ago, Hurricane Buckley said:

Still nothing here yet in Taunton, hardly had any rain or anything, front seems slower than forecast.

Unfortunately not it is just the front is quite fragmented until it starts to deepen in next couple of hours i expect.

thurs.png

Steady rain here at present 4.0c

Edited by Nights King

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Teaching done settling down with the popcorn to see what happens. I can say its raining hard here in Plymouth! 

App has downgraded again to light snow and sleet again, honestly never known it to change or flip flop if you will so much!

I guess that the MO updates first then the BBC? As they are always different round these parts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Morning everyone. Another lurker drawn into the excitement enough to make a post.

Hope to see some of the white stuff at least falling later on today.

Looking increasingly interesting though with possible showers overnight and who knows where that feature coming down from the north will track.

30 miles or so west and some of our region may see some more snow.

Next week seems to be looking cold and dry with an easterly flow and who knows, if the low pressure over the med decides to push some disturbances our way maybe even some more snow!

Certainly seems like the best period of winter weather for some years to me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Looks like a squall line is setting up across the south west again. Assume boundary from mild to cold air? 

radar.jpg

Edited by festivalking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and dry

Long time member....

Infrequent poster...

I spy something beginning with R...

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

After many hours of rain and warm ground temperatures, apart from the nutters in the M3 traffic as they panic (oh and the M3 bump south of Basingstoke)(Oh and the speed camera on the spur road) I would think you'll be driving in snow but unlikely to cause major hiatus. 

Agreed, I think you will be fine, I think this region is unlikely to see large amounts of settling snow, I'm trying to be optimistic but my heart says this is more likely to be a rain/sleet fest :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

MetO have updated their weather warning to say that 'Across Wales and Western England snow will more likely be confined to high ground.' :(