Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder and lightning

Please post your storm reports here. Thankyou :oops::wink:

28_2_1.gif28_2_1.gif28_2_1.gif28_2_1.gif28_2_1.gif

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted

Well, that was an interesting night! First rumble was at 1.35am, last one at approx 2.50am, inbetween was over 6000 lightning strikes, extreme torrential rain and a power cut. That has to be the most vigorous storm I have seen in my lifetime. A flash every 2-3 seconds and continuous thunder at some points.

:oops::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well, that was an interesting night! First rumble was at 1.35am, last one at approx 2.50am, inbetween was over 6000 lightning strikes, extreme torrential rain and a power cut. That has to be the most vigorous storm I have seen in my lifetime. A flash every 2-3 seconds and continuous thunder at some points.

:oops:   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk....g=fr&map=Europe

Posted

Well a very interesting few hours :D Had soke heavy rainfall overnight by the looks of things, but I wasn't awoken by any thunder or lightning. I was out for a few hours this morning, and the weather was very strange :D The winds were blowing a gale, and also the sun was shining yet there were downpours at the same time. The rain felt very cold :D

The downpurs were coming in thick and fast, one minute it was sunny and the next the whole sky had clouded over and it was pouring with rain. I think I heard some thunder in-between, but it may not have been because the wind was making such a racket anyway.

Over the sea in the direction of the IOW, at times I could see the rain falling in streaks and it looked rather spectacular :oops:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Woken again in the night :-x , second night in a row, by an incredible deafening downpour at 4:30am with a waterfall coming off the roof - only produced two flashes and bangs though. Wind must have been touching gale force at the time as well as the top half of the gum tree in the back garden was bent almost horizontal :oops: .

Posted

Slightly OT, but

bbc.co.uk/news

Aurigny plane struck by lightning

An Aurigny plane has been struck by lightning during a flight from Jersey.

The plane which left Jersey at 1350 BST on Monday was en route to Stansted when it was hit. No one was hurt.

As a safety precaution the aircraft is being checked by airport technicians in the UK. A replacement plane has been put on the route.

A spokesman for Aurigny says the pilot carried out standard operational procedure, and passengers were unaware of the lightning strike.

Aurigny Marketing Manager Ian Le Moigne says the pilot carried out a visual inspection and an engineer has been sent to Stansted to carry out the necessary repairs.

Mr Le Moigne said: "No one was hurt and although I wouldn't say it was routine, this sort of incident is not unheard of."

Some Aurigny flights have been delayed, but it is hoped that services will have returned to normal by Tuesday.  

Posted

An excellent afternoon in terms of convective activity.

A shower at 12:30 gave 10 minutes of rain, before clearing...however a storm soon moved in from the west/southwest after 1pm giving several large flashes and loud bangs, with a good 25/30 minutes of torrential rainfall.

We then had an hour or so of sunny skies, before a very large storm passed just to the NW of me, with almost constant thunder heard (local reports of flooded roads), and then at 3:40pm a small shower passed over, and suddenly became electrified with a couple of very close flashes and bangs.

Looking at the radar, there appears to be another storm moving my way...!

Posted

And now another storm approaches from the west..huge menancing clouds and its now going very dark. I can hear a lot of distant rumbling too.

Posted

Torrential downpour here from a lovely big black cloud, for 5+ minutes so far. One big flash, one rumble and the kind of huge raindrops that renders small animals unconcious!

Doesn't look like it's going to last very long, I can already see it's far edges.

Posted

We've had some menacing looking clouds, but any rain from them hasn't really amounted to much and we've not heard any thunder here at all :oops:

Rob W (in Huddersfield)

Posted

A very heavy downpour with thunder has just cleared here, its heading NE towards Colchester now.

Posted

Well that was short-lived. Just drizzle left, but we have a little stream now where the garden path was . A poor show here too Rob as far as storms go :cry:

Posted
A poor show here too Rob as far as storms go  :cry:

Judging by the cloud coming in from the west, we may well see a late evening storm :oops:

Rob W (in Huddersfield)

Posted

just had a torrential shower, had a few flashes of lightning, and some thunder but not a lot :oops:

Posted

Hmmm. I can see some dark clouds quite a few miles to my South RB - maybe it'll head over here too with some luck?!

Posted
Woken again in the night :-x , second night in a row, by an incredible deafening downpour at 4:30am with a waterfall coming off the roof - only produced two flashes and bangs though.

Exactly the same as me. The rain was extremely heavy indeed.

Guest ChaserUK

Well I guess I should add todays storms in this thread. In all, there was about 5. It could have been six however there was one storm which had two but quite seperate cells - hardly surprising with the trianing nature of todays storms. All in all - a very good day - and it was my day off too!!!!!

Posted

I have flown around most of the UK today, looked a lot quieter than recently. A few build ups over London and the SE plus a fair amount of activity in Scotland.

However the place to be was Northern France, with lots of large Cb's. One large multicell Cb produced a radar return about 40*20 miles with very heavy rain lasting about 5min and several good CG. Thankfully it had blown away prior to my departure. No funny winds etc.

Reference the severe weather over Europe yesturday, see the sat pictures; many of my colleuges reported the worst turbulence of there carreers flying through it!

Reference the story of the lighnting strike on the aeroplane, they are not that uncommon and generally do only minor damage. Rapid changes in wind directions (windshear) and downdrafts, (microbursts) are much more dangerous if they occur near the ground.

Archived