Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted

How reliable is Accuweather, they are saying Reading will get a thunderstorm between 8-10pm? also says rain is coming in around 7:30pm. 

They got it spot on with the storm two years ago, even the point of acceleration and landfall, the rain fell almost like clockwork and ended on the same time too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
23 minutes ago, AWD said:

12z AROME shows a lot of the current PPN fizzling out overnight with anything that does remain affecting predominately the home counties area;

8908_gqk3.thumb.png.cb9268a63c4aff1a9e0a3e563efbe05c.png5513_cwv2.thumb.png.c7381b87cc7af6ef14f850a2552c4c1c.png3611_dbq9.thumb.png.d086c14e397d2a064d317c2ac0796287.png7157_bqs7.thumb.png.a905fb3cde0cd9dc067f2520c1f4ec86.png

Yep noticed that. Can almost smell a bust! Will be infuriating if that is the case.

Just now, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Does nobody on here read forecasts anymore?

Yes it's good to be able to do a spot of nowcasting here and there but can people please stop moaning that it's fizzling out when it's been covered many times now that the main storms aren't gonna be from that rain splodge over the channel!

Rant over!

Fully agree. Let's hope this thread doesn't get clogged up with doom and gloom before the event has even got going! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Wales could stay bone dry at this rate

Posted
3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Yes it's good to be able to do a spot of nowcasting here and there but can people please stop moaning that it's fizzling out when it's been covered many times now that the main storms aren't gonna be from that rain splodge over the channel!

Rant over!

Pretty sure I've seen pretty much this said about every single potential event we've seen over the past few years. 

Then as the night wears on it begins to dawn on people that things aren't developing as they expected. Then reality hits. Then we start the cycle all over again with the next bit of potential.

Been around the weather block far too many times.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Rapid intensification to the west of the IOW around Bournemouth and plenty more in the SW approaches. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Pretty sure I've seen pretty much this said about every single potential event we've seen over the past few years. 

Then as the night wears on it begins to dawn on people that things aren't developing as they expected. Then reality hits. Then we start the cycle all over again with the next bit of potential.

Been around the weather block far too many times.

That's fine - if that happens this time round please PM me and say I told you so :)

until then though - save your words and energy for the storms!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
9 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Rant over!

Can someone then please explain where they are meant to come from? From my understanding the storms would form along the trough as it pushes up? It's not over by any means and whilst I am an amateur, what else will be triggering the storms away from this feature? Am I misinterpreting its current position?

Cheers.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Met office has the first line fizzling out and then not much until midnight. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A few very large rain drops starting to fall. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Funny just listened the forecast and the storms you see now are the ones that are going to move north. Another batch moving north across the south east into Norfolk and East Anglia into the north sea. A hot day tomorrow and dry to start GFS says otherwise one or two hit or miss showers in the north then in the west showers moving in and spreading slowly to the east later in the day.

Posted
1 minute ago, Chris K said:

Can someone then please explain where they are meant to come from? From my understanding the storms would form along the trough as it pushes up? It's not over by any means and whilst I am an amateur, what else will be triggering the storms away from this feature?

Cheers.

There is nothing to trigger storms away from this.

The next 'trigger' is the cold front later tomorrow which could see storms forming ahead- though these are likely to be fairly isolated and surface based (but potentially more severe).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and snow

The new thunderstorm start kick from bay of Biscay and I wonder which way they are going 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

This one of the rare times when storms have actually managed to get across the channel. In recent years that's been the killer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Come on guys, still ages to go yet.

Not over till it's over.

In fact, I'm wondering if something is trying to spawn over Essex/Kent way. Those clouds near Rochester look interesting, and I'm only 13 miles away as the crow flies, and there's cloud building up pretty quickly here. 

By no means a bust just yet

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Thunder getting louder and more frequent. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 2

Posted

My attention has been drawn to early Friday. 

Active cold front looks to swing in from the west and at the moment looks potentially more severe than anything we'll see over the next 24 hours.

ukprec.png

Could be some damaging wind gusts and locally severe weather within that.