Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
12 hours ago, matt111 said:

My dads told me a few stories about winters past, including milk being delivered by helicopter as all the roads nearby were blocked. 

If things got this bad I honestly dont know what I would do! It would sure be scary!!

Posted
11 hours ago, matt111 said:

Just thinking about school I don't remember having a single day off because of snow although I think that was more down to the lack of decent snowfall rather than a sign of the times. The closest it came was one day at secondary school when some of the buses didn't make it in, unfortunately mine did. It wasn't until I was at college back in 2010 we finally had enough snow to close the local schools. 

I do remember a mass snowball fight on the school field one year, the teachers weren't bothered at all. 

I have to admit if we had a good dumping of snow now I would keep the eldest off school. Just because we don't ever see it! I would want her to enjoy it. I know all the oldies would frown down at me for doing such a thing but heck snow was a every day occurance in those days. So rare to even see a flake now let alone a decent dumping.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, khodds said:

I’m feeling ever optimistic. I’ll review this feeling after the 18z run tonight ?.

You've got to be when living down South. 

I bet people living up North are feeling pretty pleased with how this Winter has panned out.

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, nettie said:

Yep going to bed with extra blankets to keep warm and a hot water bottle to warm the bed before you got in lol.

Now my kids moan if there cold and want the heating put on I can't help myself I tell them to go put an extra jumper on because that's what I used to have to do

I got told to do that lol. Our heating was set to 18c and wouldnt be put higher!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Apparently it's snowing in Birmingham. Why oh why do friends who know your love of snow feel obliged to let you know when they've got snow, knowing you haven't. Git.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 minutes ago, jethro said:

Apparently it's snowing in Birmingham. Why oh why do friends who know your love of snow feel obliged to let you know when they've got snow, knowing you haven't. Git.

Just tell them not to blink, because it wont last :spiteful: :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
7 minutes ago, offerman said:

Very heavy sleet here in Frome.

Just heavy rain here near Bristol. Yuk! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!
13 minutes ago, jethro said:

My bestie moved to Canada. She hates snow. *shrug*

• Like 1

Posted

Temp is falling here in soton, too. From a high of 4.3 at 10am and now down to 3.2. I don't think that was forecast? Any chance of back edge snow???

Posted

Well that's that nailed then!! Stock pile everyone!!!! Gotta get a generator - more blankets - thicker coats and trousers - lots of gas in cans - bottled water - Geeez the end is nigh!!!

Blizzards.png.075275cf1e990527d60a715b86

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
1 minute ago, katemart said:

Temp is falling here in soton, too. From a high of 4.3 at 10am and now down to 3.2. I don't think that was forecast? Any chance of back edge snow???

Hello Kate

i grew up down there . 

Maybush area then later bough my first house down at Regent’s Park. 

I remeber such heavy snowfalls proper winters when living down there . Moved away early 2000s but the 1980s winters were inctedibleand our biggest snows came from

The east northeast .

maybe this next easterly northeasterly 

Could repeat those scenes for you 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
19 minutes ago, offerman said:

Very heavy sleet here in Frome.

Occasionally turning to more wet snow  now

Edited by fromey
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Can confirm we have nice big Wet drops falling here, of Rain....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Give me the run down on the latest then please.. I refuse to go into the MAD thread. And please don’t use the word March as I’ll cry ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 minutes ago, khodds said:

Give me the run down on the latest then please.. I refuse to go into the MAD thread. And please don’t use the word March as I’ll cry ? 

March.

:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Wet start to the day, after a low of -2.7°C overnight the temperature quickly reached 6.3°C this morning before dropping back to 5.1°C now. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, offerman said:

Hello Kate

i grew up down there . 

Maybush area then later bough my first house down at Regent’s Park. 

I remeber such heavy snowfalls proper winters when living down there . Moved away early 2000s but the 1980s winters were inctedibleand our biggest snows came from

The east northeast .

maybe this next easterly northeasterly 

Could repeat those scenes for you 

I grew up in Portswood and now I'm the other side of the river in Bitterne Park. I remember a few good (if short-lived) snow events in the 80s - my school always seemed to be closed because the heating would go down. So we'd spend the day rampaging on the common and skating on the lakes until we got too wet and cold. No websites or texts to parents back then!  ??

Posted
8 minutes ago, khodds said:

It's tricky, but overall I would say the models have taken a little step back from bringing the coldest weather in next week, but it's not off the cards by any means. What we do look like having is a dry week next week, and likely some pretty cold nights with high pressure pretty close or over the UK. That same High will ultimately drift North or north east eventually, dragging in the colder air from the East or North east, it's really a question of when  not if that happens imo, but to far north and we risk a couple of cold days with perhaps some snow, and then we see a repeat of 2013 when the north got buried and we got wet!

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
18 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

It's tricky, but overall I would say the models have taken a little step back from bringing the coldest weather in next week, but it's not off the cards by any means. What we do look like having is a dry week next week, and likely some pretty cold nights with high pressure pretty close or over the UK. That same High will ultimately drift North or north east eventually, dragging in the colder air from the East or North east, it's really a question of when  not if that happens imo, but to far north and we risk a couple of cold days with perhaps some snow, and then we see a repeat of 2013 when the north got buried and we got wet!

Thanks Karlos. Let’s hope it’s earlier than anticipated! 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, jy said:

Well its high stakes time.....rumour has it that a ferry,worryingly named Titanic Two has set sail from the Artic,its full of polar bears with return tickets to Southampton.Local coach company is then to transfer them to the Bournemouth beaches,each with penguin sandwiches,for a stay in the bitter conditions promised to the entire country,as promised by the inmates of Loon City.Why high stakes,well from the Met Office downwards now its going to happen,and if it doesn't..................lol

Penguin sandwiches! really?

These guys are on the same trip

penguin.JPG

And this one already has his shirt off ready.. for a dip

penguin2.JPG

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
59 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

It's tricky, but overall I would say the models have taken a little step back and we will see a repeat of 2013 when the north got buried and we got wet!

Remember these words followers of the gospel according to Karlos.. for he hath spoken...

All praise the M4..

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

At this rate it will be Easter before the Easterly arrives.

I'm going to make a bold prediction that I'm not going to see snow falling again this side of next Winter

• Like 1