Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Although only a puppy in 62-63 modern uk wouldn't deal with a winter like that,Health and safety,risk assessment ect,hospitals would sink under the pressure of injuries ect,postmen and milkmen used to drag sledges with their goods on,if an airport stops for an inch of snow,also snow was on the ground for ages,would think the novelty would wear off,but I might be wrong,i went on a school ski ing trip and there was far more snow in the UK than Austria lol,nice little earner though,nicked all mums table salt and went out path clearing..my fee a threepenny bit....anyone remember those lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
4 minutes ago, noggin said:

It would be different now, because things have changed. I remember walking to school in the Winter of 62/63, I was living in Exeter back then. We all walked, teachers and pupils, because the pupils all went to nearby schools and the teachers worked in nearby schools. Today, pupils and teachers can live 5, 10, 20 miles from school so getting there in very deep snow would be difficult. Also, most married women didn't go out to work then either so there is a big chunk of the population that didn't need to be getting to work. Nowadays people have to travel much further during the course of their days so there are massive travel problems when there is deep snow lying.

That is just my take on "getting around" in such conditions.

If I could put my weary mind to thinking about food supplies, I would, but I can't. People generally didn't have food freezers back then, but there were more local shops.

Things have changed since the early 60s and as my old driving instructor used to say "you can't compare peas and carrots"! So I won't be one of the old whingers who complains that 'it wasn't like that back in my day" and that "we just used to get on with it"....... we all live different lives now, things that were problematic back then aren't problematic now and vice versa.

I'll shut up now. ?

No - don’t - thanks for your post! It all makes sense to me. I just can’t comprehend what it would be like really. Just hope I may live through one such winter!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
37 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Are you at 2.2 °C @karlos1983? I'm lower than you at the moment.. 

Yep, taken a nose dive recently, down to 0.9c now. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, karlos1983 said:

Yep, taken a nose dive recently, down to 0.9c now. :)

SNAP! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

I can only remember a couple of good winters in the 80's one of which was when I was in junior school . We had gone to school, no heating so we all sat there with coats on. Then at playtime we were all allowed out on to the field to play even the teachers joined in with building snowmen and snowball fights it was the best time ever. You wouldn't get that now schools normally shut because not enough staff can get in to cover and then yes there is the health and safety stuff .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

If the mood in the MAD threads anything to go by the models have thrown out some strange output this evening. Seems a bit confusing. :cc_confused:

Posted
Just now, nettie said:

I can only remember a couple of good winters in the 80's one of which was when I was in junior school . We had gone to school, no heating so we all sat there with coats on. Then at playtime we were all allowed out on to the field to play even the teachers joined in with building snowmen and snowball fights it was the best time ever. You wouldn't get that now schools normally shut because not enough staff can get in to cover and then yes there is the health and safety stuff .

If they somehow stayed open there would be no chance of them allowing them outside to play in it. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, matt111 said:

If the mood in the MAD threads anything to go by the models have thrown out some strange output this evening. Seems a bit confusing. :cc_confused:

Yeah.. talk of sausages being too long, blocks being too blocky and someone having a trouser sandwich.

Just your average day in the MAD thread  :rofl:.

Shannon entropy is in full effect and the models are struggling with the SSW.. all expected but still frustrating! And to think we have another week of this to get through.

Posted

Just thinking about school I don't remember having a single day off because of snow although I think that was more down to the lack of decent snowfall rather than a sign of the times. The closest it came was one day at secondary school when some of the buses didn't make it in, unfortunately mine did. It wasn't until I was at college back in 2010 we finally had enough snow to close the local schools. 

I do remember a mass snowball fight on the school field one year, the teachers weren't bothered at all. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
6 minutes ago, nettie said:

I do remember one winter in the 90s when it had snowed I went to wait for the school bus, I hid from it and went back in and told Mum it hadn’t arrived.. anything to get a snow day ?

Posted

WHAT ....ye gods....snowball fights....without protective goggles,no risk assessment.....how in gods name did we survive......those teachers would be behind bars today....for allowing the snowballs human rights to be violated.

Posted

That's brilliant khodds I probably would of done the same but my mum used to walk us to school when it snowed she said it was to make sure we got there safely  I think it was because it gave her an excuse to go for a nice long walk in it. I left school in 87 and was working in the 90's .

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, nettie said:

That's brilliant khodds I probably would of done the same but my mum used to walk us to school when it snowed she said it was to make sure we got there safely  I think it was because it gave her an excuse to go for a nice long walk in it. I left school in 87 and was working in the 90's .

Ha! Yes luckily I lived about 4 miles from school. Mind you, my grandad said he used to walk to school in the snow every winter in his shorts as that was the uniform they had then ?

• Like 1

Posted

There was one snowball fight where the deputy head got a snow ball right in the face , everyone stopped and went quiet as he took off his glasses to clean them not sure how he was going to react he just stood there and started laughing so the snowball fight continued.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, khodds said:

Ha! Yes luckily I lived about 4 miles from school. Mind you, my grandad said he used to walk to school in the snow every winter in his shorts as that was the uniform they had then ?

Shorts? :shok:

Nowadays you'd be sent home for not being appropriately dressed. 

Posted

Cor blimey that must of been cold on his poor knees . 

Posted
2 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Shorts? :shok:

Nowadays you'd be sent home for not being appropriately dressed. 

So true isn’t it?! Yep, he went to the Cathedral School in Wells, shorts were worn all year round.

i do still remember waking up as a young ‘un with ice on the inside of the windows. 

We have it so easy these days! We are soft compared to only a few decades ago!

Edited by khodds
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, khodds said:

i do still remember waking up as a young ‘un with ice on the inside of the windows. 

My mum told me about that, and I complain about the house being cold now when the heating's not on. :rofl:

Posted

Yep going to bed with extra blankets to keep warm and a hot water bottle to warm the bed before you got in lol.

Now my kids moan if there cold and want the heating put on I can't help myself I tell them to go put an extra jumper on because that's what I used to have to do

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Imagine the spurs fans on this forum, they’ve watched a crap 12z set of model runs, now they gotta watch their Team get smashed by Juve. :rofl: 

You were saying..????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
9 minutes ago, khodds said:

So true isn’t it?! Yep, he went to the Cathedral School in Wells, shorts were worn all year round.

We have it so easy these days! We are soft compared to only a few decades ago!

I miss those ferny patterns. The first house I lived in when I left home was a decrepit old farmhouse on the edge of an old airfield in Northamptonshire, a couple of winters there (early/mid 1980's) it was so cold the water froze solid in the loo pan and cracked it open - not good.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, jethro said:

I miss those ferny patterns. The first house I lived in when I left home was a decrepit old farmhouse on the edge of an old airfield in Northamptonshire, a couple of winters there (early/mid 1980's) it was so cold the water froze solid in the loo pan and cracked it open - not good.

Crikey! That’s very definitely cold!! 

Wowsers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Just gone below freezing.. 

Snap

9B1352D1-9104-4212-BAEE-C95BA0E08C37.thumb.png.47d57d6f89b391a124ed9be10e377cdf.png

• Like 1

Posted

Boo @karlos1983 and @Mapantz have left me behind. Still 0.4°C here. :nonono: