Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted

Nice 18z so far. Unlike the 12z, we have a cutoff Arctic High. It looks like the Azore High got fed up waiting for that tedious Icelandic system to fill and decided to ridge up and give it a hand. That will do nicely 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Oh boy...all aboard

gfsnh-0-312.png?18

Yes - this is exactly where we need the high to sustain for a bit - then game on rest of winter.

gfsnh-0-360_htf9.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The back end of FI mirrors the seasonals in terms of HP and trough placement...which is very very good to see as it means it's not so pie in the sky!

• Like 7

Posted

Fascinating looking chart this one, really unusual looking. In a good way.

1096612F-104B-4978-A6A4-2C8921F0B5BC.thumb.png.3a9735a624a815a9b49bb8c92fd4415d.png

I like the way the vortex jettisoned a slider in from one direction and a cold pool in from the other towards us. Just to make sure 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
5 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Very similar evolution back in early Dec 2009 compared to how the 18z evolves, Atlantic in full swing before Atlantic trough slows and digs down over Azores, upper ridge builds north out of Iberia as a result - which eventually leads to a Scandi high, all in the space of five days as charts between 9th Dec 09 and 13th Dec 09 show:

0D6F1E21-6293-49B5-B4D6-5C19A1A275BB.thumb.png.6463225f13bc302ec04322f1438a7b76.png5C55FCF8-BC71-4D9E-BFE4-5EF9DA7BA9AD.thumb.png.12f1cdde7e237e29684d0ac3f23793e6.pngB7BF1042-D2C1-4441-9A46-6A3C798205D9.thumb.png.e79cb77276cdeea4dc4a8ebc03fbd61d.png

You read my mind nick, I was thinking the same thing. I remember it only being picked up 5 or so days before 

• Like 4

Posted

18z is along the lines of what i was hoping for and hence my disappointment of the meto update which is suggestive of a mid lat block sinking longer term..

Haven't seen any post from the eps etc so no idea how much traction 18 z potentially has..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything other than drizzle

As its only one run I'm not going to get to over excited. I have a feeling the 0z will bring us back down with a bump.

Nice to look at though.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

And we keep on seeing attacks of a warming from the Siberian side on the latest gfs.

gfsnh-10-384.thumb.png.33d67aa60d211ab10ec83bcd9f79a34f.pngtempresult_rvk0.thumb.gif.f154765e0630541701f63a2b090297e6.gif

Posted

JMA.

JN264-5.thumb.GIF.820830abc86286bde8e2c530574d3835.GIF

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

JMA.

JN264-5.thumb.GIF.820830abc86286bde8e2c530574d3835.GIF

Quite a substantial warming on JMA !!

Fergies tweet on the other thread a bit meh, clearly the pros not expecting anything  until 'possibly' late winter, feb perhaps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Fergies tweet on the other thread a bit meh, clearly the pros not expecting anything  until 'possibly' late winter, feb perhaps?

Maybe so but that tweet is over a month old. 

• Like 1

Posted

The control run ends on a high note,lets see if this theme continues.

gensnh-0-1-384.thumb.png.89f8fce4dedefbd7160cbee5122aa357.pnggensnh-0-0-384.thumb.png.690139b902be37b88942d99f6b554234.pnggensnh-0-5-384.thumb.png.e4657d4b52b24b1044a6e3f435f61f46.png

get those lower height's into mainland Europe and we stand a chance.

• Like 4

Posted

I fear we are on a bit of a merry dance here again - like the last 6 or 7 winters. Cold potential being put back a couple of weeks at a time. Mid December becomes late December, becomes mid January and so on. Just my gut feeling at the moment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

The control run ends on a high note,lets see if this theme continues.

gensnh-0-1-384.thumb.png.89f8fce4dedefbd7160cbee5122aa357.pnggensnh-0-0-384.thumb.png.690139b902be37b88942d99f6b554234.pnggensnh-0-5-384.thumb.png.e4657d4b52b24b1044a6e3f435f61f46.png

get those lower height's into mainland Europe and we stand a chance.

Looking at GEFS i would suggest 4/5th December is a critical juncture, a lot of scatter as perhaps one could expect

Fingers crossed we see some upgrades tomorrow !!

Posted
9 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I fear we are on a bit of a merry dance here again - like the last 6 or 7 winters. Cold potential being put back a couple of weeks at a time. Mid December becomes late December, becomes mid January and so on. Just my gut feeling at the moment. 

I know what you are saying,we say the same every winter

we always say it's only november then it's only December and before you know it it's only January then we say we still have time left when it's Feb/March

winter does fly by in my opinion.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Didn't see the 18z gFS run but just viewed it.the 6z looks a bit  flat and quite away from lasts night in via the ridging 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything other than drizzle
6 hours ago, Shaftesbury Snow said:

As its only one run I'm not going to get to over excited. I have a feeling the 0z will bring us back down with a bump.

Nice to look at though.....

There's that bump