Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted

the behaviour of arctic heights is a fickle thing to predict ..... I doubt the ec op will do us many favours late on as the complete vortex split leaves a lot of the Canadian with nowhere to go but ‘spew’ itself into the Atlantic ..... we need the n Pacific/Alaskan ridge to have less latitude, allowing the East Asian sector to draw some of the Canadian nw towards it .  be interesting to see what high res does with the split  though - a full on fella might be fun in the longer term ......

EDIT: we could work with day 10 moving forward as the Pacific side looks like closing up and the Alaskan ridge has punched a huge wedge of additional heights into the equation which will help in time ........

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Happy with the bigger picture in the latter stages of the 00z ECM. A nice lowering of heights into Europe and a split and smashed up vortex. 

ECH1-240.gif

114.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Gfs gets rid of the Arctic high this morning really hope this appears in the next runs as this could be a big player for the chase for proper cold last night run show this nicely with the link up with highs compared to this morning run.

Has all season models flipped for a mild winter i seen twitt about states mild Dec-Feb wonder what this would hold for us???

gfsnh-0-240 (1).png

gfsnh-0-384 (2).png

gfsnh-0-240.png

gfsnh-0-384.png

Screenshot_20181126-090930_Chrome.jpg

Edited by booferking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

After having a little break, doesn’t look like too much has changed. A retreat from the models clearly didn’t work (lol). Looks as though that evil thing - the Atlantic - will be breaking through from tomorrow bringing wind and rain to places.

5F57B129-52E7-4CF9-89B3-71F0D95C7CB8.thumb.jpeg.53390be2960acb05605e5852b8f77198.jpeg

AEB7FEB9-0075-4246-A19D-7C85F9AA2C40.thumb.jpeg.c34c9abd85df93127727671a85d519a0.jpeg

They’ll be no escape!

Worst of the conditions would likely be over North-Western parts where the devilish Lows will be in the most control.

I suppose not so evil, however, if you’re someone who hates the cold and prefers the Atlantic. Plus, at least in the nearer term, it looks like a mixture of Tropical Maritime and Polar Maritime flows - the latter particularly true as Lows try to get a little further East and bring in some chillier air from the West or North-West at times with wintry showers over Northern hills. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

season models flipped to mild Dec, anniversary of snow showing the opposite to last year on 00Z GFS, at least looks dry though in deep FI,

gfs-0-324.png

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

season models flipped to mild Dec, anniversary of snow showing the opposite to last year on 00Z GFS, at least looks dry though in deep FI,

gfs-0-324.png

The seasonal models haven’t run for Dec yet ??????

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The seasonal models haven’t run for Dec yet ??????

Think Ians being a bit mischievious!!

Fairly happy with EC this morning..certainly very different to GFS.

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, booferking said:

Climate models then???

Screenshot_20181126-090930_Chrome.jpg

Climate models? 

No idea what he is on about - hopefully isn’t referencing the CFSv2 to back up his arguement !!

anyway, this time next week we will hopefully have sight of the updated ec seasonal ..... it backed away somewhat for me euro cold on the November issue but we saw the met office model head in the opposite direction. 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Think Ians being a bit mischievious!!

Fairly happy with EC this morning..certainly very different to GFS.

EDH101-240.GIF?26-12

Aren't splits like these often precursors to ssws? 

Posted
1 minute ago, ArHu3 said:

EDH101-240.GIF?26-12

Not sure ... looking forward to hearing from GP hopefully over the next day or two ..

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Not sure ... looking forward to hearing from GP hopefully over the next day or two ..

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2009GL038776

Was what I was referring to, it seems that most splits were preceded by some form of pacific blocking but I of course don't know how often pacific blocks happen

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
11 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

EDH101-240.GIF?26-12

It's usually the opposite, you have the SSW then trop PV splits. But it can happen especially if the PV is already week from blocking in the trop.

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Thanks 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

27 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

EDH101-240.GIF?26-12

I'm confused if the above Mean is good or not? on one hand it looks great to our North East, however  will it all to no avail with those  heights to our south and us sitting in no-mans land?

Posted
29 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

It's usually the opposite, you have the SSW then trop PV splits. But it can happen especially if the PV is already week from blocking in the trop.

From what I understood an initial blocking event can lead to a ssw, which in turn can lead to much more blocking later on 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What would the run-up to Mammonmass be, without a good old Euro-tease?

Netweather GFS Image

• Thanks 1