Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
7 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Yes I would love to be tested, the curiosity is eating at me haha.

I wouldn’t even know how to go about it though or who to ask and I doubt any doctor would be interested or care tbh.

Don’t ask don’t get but I appreciate your scepticism about getting tested. 

Posted
32 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The situation in Italy becomes more horrific with each passing day .

Really awful to see such a huge loss of life there .

Some word not confirmed they have Wuhan strand of virus more deadly Iran too being severely affected, and it is seemingly being imported all over Europe..

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, Snipper said:

It is very interesting what some posters have said about having very similar symptoms in the autumn.  Would be really good if they could be tested. Then we would know what the correct situation is.  Problem is there seems to be little chance of it happening. 

In the absence of a test for some kind of remnant bio-marker (e.g. antibodies etc) i'm not sure it is possible to confirm if someone did have a specific virus back in November?  You would really need a sample taken from when infection was apparent.

It's a nice thought that a related, milder, strain has done the global rounds as it would confer some acquired immunity.  Have my doubts this is likely however, more likely to one of the (edit) 200+ common cold viruses that happened to be nastier than your usual bug.

Edited by swebby
fat finger syndrome
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi Spikecollie/Snipper,

When I say "Starve", it's probably more to do with the fact that when I've had a high Fever with Flu, I feel sick and can't "stomach" the thought of food.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Yep Tom those who have gone with flu myself included know how debilitating it is totally destroys appetite getting out of bed was a huge effort, I went days without eating. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, swebby said:

In the absence of a test for some kind of remnant bio-marker (e.g. antibodies etc) i'm not sure it is possible to confirm if someone did have a specific virus back in November?  You would really need a sample taken from when infection was apparent.

It's a nice thought that a related, milder, strain has done the global rounds as it would confer some acquired immunity.  Have my doubts this is likely however, more likely to one of the 400+ common cold viruses that happened to be nastier than your usual bug.

I’m 98 percent sure mine was one of the flu strains. It matches the flu profile really well with speed of onset, body aches, loss of appetite, dry unproductive cough and fever. 

The 2 percent is because of the day or so I struggled to breathe even though my lungs were providing no mucus.

It was definitely at least the flu though, I would put my mortgage on it as it was nothing like a cold really and never again will i say ‘I think I’ve got the flu’ when I just have a heavy cold haha.

• Like 4

Posted

The NHS have confirmed that some of those confirmed cases are being treated at home which makes sense .

But what’s really troubling in their press  release is that of the 115 cases confirmed 52 of those are being cared for in hospitals .

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

The NHS have confirmed that some of those confirmed cases are being treated at home which makes sense .

But what’s really troubling in their press  release is that of the 115 cases confirmed 52 of those are being cared for in hospitals .

Yikes. 

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Jeez , not good.

Im advising my elderly parents to stay indoors as much as pos.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, swebby said:

It's a nice thought that a related, milder, strain has done the global rounds as it would confer some acquired immunity.  Have my doubts this is likely however, more likely to one of the 400+ common cold viruses that happened to be nastier than your usual bug.

I havent got a clue about common cold viruses, so I might be talking nonsense, but isn't it unusual to have a new common cold strain hit so many people so quickly? Are there regular new cold strains, or is it the same strains just hitting different people each year?

Posted
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

I’m 98 percent sure mine was one of the flu strains. It matches the flu profile really well with speed of onset, body aches, loss of appetite, dry unproductive cough and fever. 

The 2 percent is because of the day or so I struggled to breathe even though my lungs were providing no mucus.

It was definitely at least the flu though, I would put my mortgage on it as it was nothing like a cold really and never again will i say ‘I think I’ve got the flu’ when I just have a heavy cold haha.

Likewise with me, matched the flu profile well but much less acute and shorter in duration.

At the time i wondered if it may have been a flu strain similar to one i've had before, so that i already had a good acquired immunity and the secondary immune response kicked in before it got really nasty. Will never know i'm afraid.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
35 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi Alexis,

Yes, my stomach pain lasted about a Week too and Colette has experienced the same thing.

I've not had a "rattle" as such but as Colette will confirm, for a while my airwaves seemed to be playing a very mournful Stradivarius, at Night.

This turned into a more up tempo Jazzy Violin, akin to Stephane Grappelli (French/Italian Jazz Violinist). But last Night my airwaves had stopped the Violin Recitals and we had the best sleep, for quite a few Nights.

Because of worries about raised blood pressure, I don't take any strong, over the counter, Cough Linctus.

What works for me is a combination of hot Lemon/Lime and Honey.

Appetite wise, I tend to employ the old adage of, "Feed a Cold and starve a Fever."

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

I don't use cough linctus either, it makes something in my throat spasm, causing me to choke. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

But we dont the age profile or any underlying medical conditions. There is a possibility they could be elderly or have serious underlying medical conditions...maybe?

Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, i'm not being blase/casual, but just saying that before we/you know full details of these unfortunate people dont jump to conclusions.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, emax said:

I havent got a clue about common cold viruses, so I might be talking nonsense, but isn't it unusual to have a new common cold strain hit so many people so quickly? Are there regular new cold strains, or is it the same strains just hitting different people each year?

That's the thing. I'd say there was about a 66% prevalence of whatever went round in Nov/Dec, based purely on anecdotal evidence. It seemed to sweep through a lot of people in a matter of weeks.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

May not necessarily mean they are severe.

May mean they are simply unsuitable for home treatment, e.g could live in isolated rural area or maybe somewhere that has communal living arrangements like student digs.

Edit - and what Bristol boy said above - underlying medical issues.

Edited by swebby
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I guess they haven't said how many of those 52 are in hospital because they need it, or because they are still maybe quarantined? Also, how many were in hospital (or in and out) of hospital to start with?

I'm not downplaying the figures, just suggesting they "could" look worse than they are.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

That's the thing. I'd say there was about a 66% prevalence of whatever went round in Nov/Dec, based purely on anecdotal evidence. It seemed to sweep through a lot of people in a matter of weeks.

Yeah that’s another weird thing.

my friend who I don’t often see in person and hadn’t seen for weeks prior to getting this bug, also came down with it a few days after me and his symptoms and progress mirrored mine but a few days behind. It was crazy how exact it was.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yep. It was Winter. Loads of these cold type bugs go around.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

Yikes. 

That’s roughly just under half of confirmed cases so far in the UK needing medical attention !

And of the 18 cured it’s not clear how many needed medical attention.

Even if a lot of people do recover how on earth will the NHS cope if that ratio continues with even more cases .

• Like 3

Posted
30 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Yes I would love to be tested, the curiosity is eating at me haha.

I wouldn’t even know how to go about it though or who to ask and I doubt any doctor would be interested or care tbh.

same here. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Sad to see panic buying going on. Toilet rolls and bottled water is what I noticed. Dunno why people think they need bottled water as the water won't be going off.

One work colleague is flying to Northern Italy in a few weeks. Seems a bit daft these flight are still allowed. Anyway we now going into discussing delay phase whatever that will be.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, emax said:

With 200+ different virus strains associated with the common cold, there is always going to be one that stumbles upon a population with limited acquired /herd immunity and so everyone seems to get the same symptoms. Not necessarily every year, but there are often anomalous spikes in respiratory ailments every few years.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Some word not confirmed they have Wuhan strand of virus more deadly Iran too being severely affected, and it is seemingly being imported all over Europe..

Yes, interesting study posted last night. The Italian outbreak traces back to the first case in Germany where executives were infected by an asymptomatic (symptoms and testing after return to China) Chinese woman attending a two day workshop. That will be similar to Washington where genetic sequence goes back to patient #1 in mid January. They do a great job in contact tracing but cannot catch all the people who may have been contaminated by touching something where virus has lingered.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
opengraph-image-a1f7d89ffd0782738b1aeb0d
WWW.GOV.UK

National influenza reports, tracking seasonal flu and other seasonal respiratory illnesses in the UK.

The weekly surveillance reports are interesting, they show number of reported flu cases, and ili’s (influenza like illnesses) as well as hospitalizations week on week.  

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, emax said:

I guess they haven't said how many of those 52 are in hospital because they need it, or because they are still maybe quarantined? Also, how many were in hospital (or in and out) of hospital to start with?

I'm not downplaying the figures, just suggesting they "could" look worse than they are.

I get your points. But even allowing for some of those factors the NHS wouldn’t be keeping people in if it could be avoided .

And even if they had underlying conditions how is it that the current total seems to include a lot of people who need hospital treatment .

As for quarantine , anyone in contact would be asked to self isolate . I doubt the NHS would be keeping people in who have mild or no symptoms .

• Like 3

Posted
25 minutes ago, swebby said:

I had a blood test to check for the usual infection markers cause my doc wasn't sure what was going on, not sure if any of those are still about. He re tested next day because something was very high, obviously whatever it was responded to the anti biotic he prescribed on first visit. 

• Like 3