Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
41 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Each family will have to decide what they think is best for older relatives etc.

But... I do hope that this virus doesn't give the excuse to 'some'  less caring families not to go see their dear old mum and dad.

There are a lot of elderly people in the UK who feel isolated as it is, and many will be frightened by this virus(media storm).

This is not aimed at anyone in here, just a general point.

Completely agree, whilst I do think there is a media storm about this, I do get concerned about the fact we do have a new coronavirus here and I do think about my parents as they get older. Sadly my grandparents didn't see me get to where I am today as they passed away when I was younger so it makes me appreciate the time I get to spend with my parents.

There are too many elderly people who are isolated and should keep in regular contact with older relatives to make sure they don't keep being isolated.

Posted
2 hours ago, SteveB said:

It's lost on me why this is a big issue.

While people have died from COVID-19, it is the old and weak. If fit young people were dying, then yes, we have an issue.

TB kills 40,000 a day! and there is a cure

May i ask when/where you saw this stat SteveB?

The actual figure is ca4,000 not 40,000 a day.  TB is currently the most deadly disease globally, even beating Malaria.

I know it was being broadcast on the beeb 24hr news on Tuesday, as i was ranting about their error at the time, but am wondering if it is still being incorrectly published somewhere?  If the beeb are still at it, i will be availing myself of their useless complaints procedures.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Maybe, but SK's testing numbers are high, so should give some positivity to allay fears of 3,4% CFR everywhere it hits.

True, the global rate is around 3.6% I believe, inflated by certain events, and certain countries which are not up to standard. I.E - I seen a video of grown men licking a pole as part of some form of religious act in Iran which isn't going to help matters. 

In 6-12 months we should have a good idea though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
4 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

You sure you didn't have glandular fever instead?

Well it said  those symptoms are things such as a sore throat, headache, glands up in the neck, fever. Never had anything like that with it. In fact they sound more like i'm getting on/off NOW. Unless I get really ill I don't tend to bother a Doctor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Stock markets tumbling again, Dow Jones is down 800 points already for today and it hasn't even opened yet....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
2 hours ago, SteveB said:

It's lost on me why this is a big issue.

While people have died from COVID-19, it is the old and weak. If fit young people were dying, then yes, we have an issue.

TB kills 40,000 a day! and there is a cure

Again I'd caution your optimism for, with at least 4 'recognisable' clades pof Covid-19 in circulation ( unlike the two 'clades of H1N1 around in Aug 1918?) surely there is not just the chance of 'drift' to imbue Covid-19 with a different set of 'properties' but that there are many more chances of 'recombination' of those 4 clades that existed in the 1918 Flu Virus?

In August 1918 you could have spoken your post out loud and it be received as true, not so much by October of that year when it was the young and fit falling over in ever increasing numbers?

This thing isn't over until it's over and the info you're running with is a look back to 'how' the virus acted historically over the last 4 months?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
19 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I just hope they dont go down the route of closed doors.  for me it defeats the object   also it makes the league unfair     Having  advantage of playing at home will be negated.   Fingers crossed it does not get to that point 

Yes, it certainly hasn't helped Ipswich Town. :oldsmile:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Away from the "big clubs" there is the entire football league and non league structure to consider. 

No amount of "watch it at home on TV or at the pub" will be applicable for anyone outside of the premiership. For the 100s and 100s of games in that part of the structure you have hundreds of thousands of people going all around the country every weekend. If those games are called off or played behind closed doors its not a bad idea if your trying to stop spread. People will really only be able to hear results on the BBC local radio (if lucky) or just after the event.  No packed out pubs, just people staying at home. 

The packed out pubs is a weird one any way, there are only maybe 6/8 games on TV every weekend anyway. I agree they are usually busier pre match at everywhere I have ever been. 

I speak as a ST Holder and regularly away fan for Shrewsbury Town, if its the right call to ban fans, but keep playing out the season, I will take it with good grace and respect the call. 

We are not there yet though, but if you look at cycling in Italy which has now just lost the San Remo classic today and likely puts huge pressure on Giro as well as all football and Rugby for weeks behind closed doors if you get up to say 500 cases and a reasonable spread, its going to happen... 

But no reason with the right precautions at clubs seasons cant be finished... 

Edited by SalopWatcher
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Dami said:

Well it said  those symptoms are things such as a sore throat, headache, glands up in the neck, fever. Never had anything like that with it. In fact they sound more like i'm getting on/off NOW. Unless I get really ill I don't tend to bother a Doctor.

Im sure i had glandular fever because there was no sneezing or respiratory problems but my face felt like it did when i had mumps and the flu like symptoms - the aches and pains were as bad as the worst flu i have ever had except worse in a way because it went on for nearly 3 weeks, the flu usually gives me the aches and pains for 1 or 1 and a bit weeks and the whole symptoms last about 2 weeks, plus i had kissed a bird who later told me she had had it and then looked it up and if you kiss someone even if they had it ages ago then you'll get it. did have a sore throat but i think that was an ulcerated throat because the sheer overdose levels of painkillers i took to relieve the symptoms, i had ulcers all round my mouth and didn't eat for 3 days.

Posted
11 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Anyone know what happens if it mutates? as they keep talking about it probably doing so but not giving an explanation as to the implications if it does.

Unfortunately, the only correct answer to that would be to wait and see, as it is not something that can be predicted.

It is of some comfort though that the most likely consequence is it becomes milder.  If you take two strains that are equally transmissible, but one strain knocks people for six, the other gives them a mild sniffle which allows them to go about their daily business, that second strain will spread quicker as the carriers are more active in the community. If catching either strain gives you immunity to both strains, the nasty strain will eventually be out competed by the mild one and so is likely to disappear. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
26 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I just hope they dont go down the route of closed doors.  for me it defeats the object   also it makes the league unfair     Having  advantage of playing at home will be negated.   Fingers crossed it does not get to that point 

Yes but there won't be any huge disparities between the amount of home and away games of a team left and there won't be huge differences between teams in terms of home games left.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

It's a difficult balancing act, if they go into the full delay faze and ban all public gathering there will be mass panic and billions will be lost from the economy not to mention thousands if not hundreds of thousands of jobs being lost over the next couple of years.There's also the possibility of increased crime and possibly looting if it got to the stage where police are only responding to certain calls.All of that should only be happening in a worst case scenario which we're nowhere near yet.If 100k people are infected then maybe we're there but 100, 1000 or even 10000 isn't worth the damage it would cause in my opinion...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes but there won't be any huge disparities between the amount of home and away games of a team left and there won't be huge differences between teams in terms of home games left.

The only way it might be unfair is say in European comps. If one country has banned fans but the other has not... 
In the UK if its over a few weeks it would balance out. Be a very unique and weird situation for fans in our country...  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

I haven't seen any mention of the damage it would do to clubs if they were forced to play the remainder of the season behind closed doors.It won't have much effect on the bigger clubs but from League one down as well as all non league, Scottish, Welsh and Irish clubs they would struggle to survive having to play several games with no fans...

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

South Korea has tested more than 140,000 people for the new coronavirus and confirmed more than 6,000 cases. Its fatality rate is around 0.6%.

SK's extensive testing probably shows a much truer fatality rate, rather than countries where testing is less so. By this assumption the 3, 4% mortality rates are probably way too high.

So, months down the line from now, should we expect a 'true' fatality rate of 0.6% OR if a country can contain more effectively, then maybe fatality rate will be even lower than 0.6%?

What is happening in South Korea is reassuring, and hopefully points to the true nature of the disease.  Their stats appear reliable and they have modern health care system. They and Japan are the two to watch in my mind for statistics. European figures are still at the early stages of an outbreak, so may be misleading, Italy's case numbers must surely be well off just by looking at how many cases in other countries is being linked to travel from Italy.  I also suspect USA's numbers could be as inaccurate as Iran's for some time until they roll out an expansive testing regime.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, ciel said:

Even if that fatality rate is anywhere accurate, it is unlikely to be distributed equally between different age groups.

Suspect there will also be big differences between countries for a multitude of reasons, but quality of the health care system will be the major one.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
17 minutes ago, swebby said:

Unfortunately, the only correct answer to that would be to wait and see, as it is not something that can be predicted.

It is of some comfort though that the most likely consequence is it becomes milder.  If you take two strains that are equally transmissible, but one strain knocks people for six, the other gives them a mild sniffle which allows them to go about their daily business, that second strain will spread quicker as the carriers are more active in the community. If catching either strain gives you immunity to both strains, the nasty strain will eventually be out competed by the mild one and so is likely to disappear. 

Not so sure?

The 'knocks for 6' stuff comes after the potential 14 'asymptomatic spread' days (and a possible further 7 days whilst symptoms worsen to the point the victim seeks medical aid?)

The whole bug bare with this virus is that 'asymptomatic spread'?

AFAIK many virus are already generating symptoms before the viral load is big enough for them to be actively 'shedding' it?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted

A lighter story around COVID-19.

This Indian restaurant in Bristol has won a number of awards nationally.

"A popular restaurant in Bristol will deliver free food to people for two weeks if they go into self-isolation with coronavirus.

The Urban Tandoor is regarded as one of the best Indian restaurants in the city, winning awards on a regular basis for its delicious curries and first-rate service.

And today its owner Sujith D'almeida has announced his plan to "cheer up people" who live within a two-mile radius of the Small Street restaurant, should they go into quarantine as a result of the bug."

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
17 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

I haven't seen any mention of the damage it would do to clubs if they were forced to play the remainder of the season behind closed doors.It won't have much effect on the bigger clubs but from League one down as well as all non league, Scottish, Welsh and Irish clubs they would struggle to survive having to play several games with no fans...

Yes, gate money is a tiny proportion of revenue for EPL clubs, but elsewhere it's the main source of income.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

"A popular restaurant in Bristol will deliver free food to people for two weeks if they go into self-isolation with coronavirus.

The Urban Tandoor is regarded as one of the best Indian restaurants in the city, winning awards on a regular basis for its delicious curries and first-rate service.

And today its owner Sujith D'almeida has announced his plan to "cheer up people" who live within a two-mile radius of the Small Street restaurant, should they go into quarantine as a result of the bug."

Count me in!:oldgood::oldlaugh:

Posted

Sir Patrick Vallance, a scientific govt adviser, (he is the guy who was on GMB this morn) just commented on ITV news that there probably needs to be some herd immunity to help fight the virus. A balancing act between still letting people mix and isolation. Interesting.

Any one else on here with medical expertise like to comment? Does his comments suggest they're a bit relaxed about loads of people getting it?

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

This is a lovely gesture

HOWEVER

As a lover of takeaway food and someone who spends way too much on Indian and Chinese i'm concerned that a lot of these restaurants and takeaways are small, family owned businesses and will not follow the strict isolation procedure should they get sick - so I worry they may deliver the virus direct to people's door.

Depending on how this pans out, I may be knocking takeaways on the head soon. Probably good for my wallet and my health anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Count me in!:oldgood::oldlaugh:

Dont think you're within a 2-mile radius though, Pete; i know i'm not. I'd have to make do with the Chinese just down the road from me, if all eating places followed suit.

• Like 2