Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Guest Delete Me

Twitter is on meltdown today with half the country kicking and screaming because we aren't on a full lockdown.

They need to take a deep breath and understand the position the government are in, we are at such a delicate stage now and as somebody rightly pointed out early they can't move too soon or too late it has to be the right time for measures to be put in place.

We could be in a much worse situation, technocracy is the best way and Boris is actually letting the experts make decisions unless Donald.

Posted

From the bbc live feed. They linked to a twitter acc of a Madrid doctor that has contracted the virus and is posting daily updates of symptoms

https://twitter.com/yaletung?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1236970053515575297&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flive%2Fworld-us-canada-51847128

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
3 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Boris is actually letting the experts make decisions

But British experts are at odds with experts from almost every other affected country. We won't know who's right or wrong until later on in the outbreak, but it's very much the minority vs. the majority at the moment.

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I think it might get the point where people won't believe what they are saying if all the other countries start to do the same measures as they are. At some point you run the real risk of losing the populations trust, which at this time is massively vital because they can't understand why everyone else is doing something different.

I’d be surprised if the pressure doesn’t become overwhelming now . And I thought Leo Varadkars comments were pitch perfect in explaining to the public why the government was bringing in these measures .

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Stabilo19 said:

But British experts are at odd with experts from almost every other affected country. We won't know who's right or wrong until later on in the outbreak, but it's very much the minority vs. the majority at the moment.

I think there in lies the problem, I understand they don't want to move too early and cause fatigue, but you may end up actually causing something worse, and people start to ignore them or loose trust in them because they aren't follow the herd so to speak.

The end result will be the same regardless of whether we go now or in a week, so we may as well go now and not run the risk of incredulity at our perceived lack of action.

• Like 2

Posted

Some are not happy.

john-ashton-public-health.png
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

The former regional director of Public Health England has issued a furious condemnation what he described as the UK government’s “complacent” response to the coronavirus pandemic.

• Like 1

Posted

I saw an interview today and I thought the comments were right on the money.

Regarding the virus . If we all act individually we all will collectively suffer   , if we act collectively then individually we will all be better .

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
12 minutes ago, swebby said:

From the bbc live feed. They linked to a twitter acc of a Madrid doctor that has contracted the virus and is posting daily updates of symptoms

https://twitter.com/yaletung?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1236970053515575297&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flive%2Fworld-us-canada-51847128

The interesting thing (for me) is that he is reporting he has the runs, when social is of full of 'this bug doesn't cause that'  

Edited by Dami
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Unfortunately if the same pattern of UK test numbers continues today (~1000) then we might "only" see another 50-100 confirmed cases. This could start becoming confusing for the general public who are hearing about high #s elsewhere.

Hopefully those 10,000 tests/day results start coming in soon so we have a better idea of numbers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
32 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Ireland looks to be following other EU countries  their advice is clearly very different what our Gov is getting.

There must be intense pressure on our chief medical now..

Ireland has a tiny population and only one major source of people bringing the virus (Dublin). It's a lot easier to tackle it in that sense.

We have several counties of over a million people, several reasonably large international airports and a population about 12 times larger.

Our government has obviously decided to stick with the South Korean model as long as possible before more stringent measures.

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted

Viking cruises has groundrd its entire fleet, some 73 river cruise ships and six ocean going ships, due to coronavirus. The suspension of operations applies to all cruises departing between March 12 to April 30, 2020. The announcement came overnight in a video message from the company’s chairman Torstein Hagen.  Viking is Norweigan owned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
26 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Some rather troubling news from Germany re symptoms .

Apparently in cases there people didn’t just exhibit the fever and or dry cough but also 32% had a runny or blocked nose .

This seems to fly in the face of what many countries are using as the key indicators. 

The Robert Koch institute also said younger people aren’t taking the virus seriously.

So basically the flu, but from a coronavirus rather than a flu strain. 

My theory, please don't take too seriously. I think this thing confuses immune systems, ie it looks like a cold, but it acts like something else. So immune systems in the young, that are still learning, just treat it the same as any other new bug, and learn how to fight it, no big problems. The older you get the more your immune system is trained to spot specific types of illness and automatically reacts as it always has done. This virus has thrown a curve ball, and the immune system gets surprised and doesn't know what to do. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Wow Switzerland up 213 upto this time, so looks like they are on for a rise in the 400-600 range, as we saw with so many countries once they get to the 600-1000 range.

Since we have hit 400 today is the day we either breach 100+ and follow the pattern or start to trail.

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Scotland considering banning gatherings of 500+ people

Thats school closures then  similar to Irealand.  I believe they have devolved powers  So England could be totally opposite. 

Posted
Just now, summer blizzard said:

Since we have hit 400 today is the day we either breach 100+ and follow the pattern or start to trail.

Given every other country in Europe has gone the same way and we've literally done nothing to stop it rising, its not going to trail. We are still subject to variable daily totals until we really increase the testing upto the 10,000 suggested yesterday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Fergus Walsh BBC Medical correspondent

The UK is expected to move to the delay phase of its coronavirus response. But what does that mean? And why - Jean Wright and John Barcroft want to know - has it not already been implemented?

It means further measures to try to reduce the spread and to lower the peak of any epidemic in the UK and it’s an acknowledgement that this virus cannot be contained.

We're not going to see the sort of drastic measures we've seen in Italy and in China in terms of lockdowns and shutdowns and mass school closures.

That’s because the government says they are being led by the science. They say they have to balance how much that would help reduce the spread against the impact on society and the economy.

The sort of things we will see will be advice to the elderly and vulnerable to protect themselves by avoiding crowded and enclosed spaces. There's a lot of emphasis on hand washing. People with cold and flu-like symptoms within the next few days may be asked to self-isolate for a week.

But restrictions on gatherings and that sort of thing - I don’t think we’re going to see just yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-51847128?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5e6a11203cfb2a06519c1032%26What is the coronavirus delay phase%3F%262020-03-12T11%3A54%3A26.192Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:00d7739e-0c94-4406-9b68-89c7e667a95b&pinned_post_asset_id=5e6a11203cfb2a06519c1032&pinned_post_type=share

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Thats school closures then  similar to Irealand.  I believe they have devolved powers  So England could be totally opposite. 

I think "considering" is the key word. Not yet, so looks same as Westminster. I think all UK-based governments are taking same medical 'expert' advice from same people. I could be wrong on that front.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Bristle boy said:

I think "considering" is the key word. Not yet, so looks same as Westminster. I think all UK-based governments are taking same medical 'expert' advice from same people. I could be wrong on that front.

What is interesting is Nicola Sturgeon is saying on twitter that she personally wants a ban on gatherings above 500 people. That seems a wise precaution.

As for schools, IF they were to go down that route, then at least most secondary schools would have to shut and at that point you may as well close the whole lot down. Even a 1,000 people would cause a problem for schools and this maybe why the government is trying to avoid banning such gatherings yet. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Given every other country in Europe has gone the same way and we've literally done nothing to stop it rising, its not going to trail. We are still subject to variable daily totals until we really increase the testing upto the 10,000 suggested yesterday.

We have been pretty good on testing even with limited numbers to be fair. Although I'd be harder on air travel especially I think some people are starting to panic a little early.

Personally I'd like to see testing hit 700,000 (about 1%) and then measures brought in to quarantine the country for three weeks before those same 700,000 get checked again as a representative sample.

But this needs to happen all over Europe otherwise we just end up with a new infection so moving now that hard probably would just lead to us dragging out the economic damage longer than we need to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
14 minutes ago, Dami said:

The interesting thing (for me) is that he is reporting he has the runs, when social is of full of 'this bug doesn't cause that'  

We already know from China that it does. 

• Like 1