Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

You wouldn’t . But normal contact is unlikely to lead to catching the virus. Unless they sneezed or coughed near you then that would be a problem .

If just chatting to someone or walking by them was enough to catch the virus then cases in Europe would be very much higher .

I’m not trying to play down fears. But I think a sense of proportion is needed until such time as we see things change .

That would be why China is disinfecting bank notes then?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

You wouldn’t . But normal contact is unlikely to lead to catching the virus. Unless they sneezed or coughed near you then that would be a problem .

If just chatting to someone or walking by them was enough to catch the virus then cases in Europe would be very much higher .

I’m not trying to play down fears. But I think a sense of proportion is needed until such time as we see things change .

Well I'm faced (or at least could be faced) with a stark decision. If things get bad, do I quit my job or not?

I don't get paid enough to run the risk of becoming seriously ill. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

The threat has been talked about in here for weeks, French gov  should have banned all flights from china weeks ago..

The French did ban flights in line with other European countries like the UK. 

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

The French did ban flights in line with other European countries like the UK. 

Yeah, all too late though, 'some ' said weeks ago ALL flights from china should stop, didn't happen though and here we are.

European countries slow to react on anything as usual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Well I'm faced (or at least could be faced) with a stark decision. If things get bad, do I quit my job or not?

jeez..wont matter if you don't have a job..plus if you catch it the likely of getting serious ill is less than minimal..unless you have an existing condition of course ..and you will still be unemployed

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Gray-Wolf said:

That would be why China is disinfecting bank notes then?

Of course that’s why the public need to remember that surface transmission is a big part of the problem .

Sensible precautions will really help stem the cases . All retailers should have disinfectant handwipes and gels at counters. Everyone should be advised to not leave home without those aswell .

I never go anywhere without my hand wipes , but that was even before the current virus ! 

I was to be honest a bit obsessed about catching normal flu or some other virus . 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
9 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

You're over-thinking this, just like I am apt to do with things! If things get bad - whatever that might mean - we'll all make decisions at that time. My job brings me into contact with lots of vulnerable people and if "things got bad" i.e. an epidemic situation, then effectively my work could end. I have a permanent, well protected contract so how that scenario would play out is my employer's responsibility, not mine. "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." Otherwise folk like us will have time off work with stress before COVID-19 ever impacts our work...

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

jeez..wont matter if you don't have a job..plus if you catch it the likely of getting serious ill is less than minimal..unless you have an existing condition of course ..and you will still be unemployed

They'll be plenty of jobs once it ripped through the UK though so 'Result' eh? .....kind lof?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

It's all about your 'QALYs Pete......

25264078-0-image-a-55_1582823957898.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Under 'Three Wise Men' protocol, senior medics would need to decipher which patients to give care such as ventilators and beds to, with a focus on saving...

But keep on with your tube travel eh???

Well I defo need to avoid this thing. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Well I defo need to avoid this thing. 

'The Fates', I have found, have a very twisted sense of humour so 'We', my friend may well be left there dazed and confused at the end of this and all the "don't give a flying stained glass window" crew will be lining their boxes awaiting the flames?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Here I go again, I just don't think it will be ripping through the UK, can we start calling it Jack yet?

Where do you keep your gallows humour Dave?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
18 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Of course that’s why the public need to remember that surface transmission is a big part of the problem .

Sensible precautions will really help stem the cases . All retailers should have disinfectant handwipes and gels at counters. Everyone should be advised to not leave home without those aswell .

I never go anywhere without my hand wipes , but that was even before the current virus ! 

I was to be honest a bit obsessed about catching normal flu or some other virus . 

I am exactly the same but have been now told they are absolutely useless.

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

I know the majority of forum members are coldies but at this point an unusually warm spring would help .

Well those other 2 coronaviruses are 'coldies' making up to 25% of all our colds so the majority of forum members will really like this new one eh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I know the majority of forum members are coldies but at this point an unusually warm spring would help .

Unless of course you had record breaking snow depths like 3 metres over the whole country which lasted months and it was modelled well out, in that case everyone would have time to stock up and no one would be able to get out of their house for months otherwise they would suffocate, so spread would stop, that would be my ideal scenario.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.

Personally I don't get the laxed methods of control.

A 2 week max incubation period, plus the time of illness.....for all that period the virus can be spread from the host?

So the point of scanning for fever at airports is?

Is it still spreading before symptoms or not?

In my opinion, it is going to get out of control, because too many people are just fobbing it off as a normal cold/flu. Too many people wandering around coughing and sneezing, not cleaning their hands, not thinking where they have been or caring because they are in the predominant age group of minimal fatalities.

So many people can't afford time off work so won't be bothered quarantining,  just heading to work anyway, again, thinking it is just a typical sniffles/cold.

Also, how many people already have the virus who have not bothered to get tested because their symptoms are mild? You could double or treble the number of cases of people with the virus easily, who have then (for 14 days plus) been spreading it without knowing when, or how they contracted it.

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Where do you keep your gallows humour Dave?

Have it will me all the time GW, best way I know to combat what life throws at me, sometimes even makes others laugh, always a good stress reducer.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I am exactly the same but have been now told they are absolutely useless.

Apparently if you over use them they can lead to skin losing some of its normal defence but a 60 percent minimum alcohol minimum does kill the virus . Some of the warnings against them are just silly .

Its not like you’re going to be handwiping yourself into submission in your own home. 

Posted
16 minutes ago, The Weather Watcher said:

Personally I don't get the laxed methods of control.

A 2 week max incubation period, plus the time of illness.....for all that period the virus can be spread from the host?

So the point of scanning for fever at airports is?

Is it still spreading before symptoms or not?

In my opinion, it is going to get out of control, because too many people are just fobbing it off as a normal cold/flu. Too many people wandering around coughing and sneezing, not cleaning their hands, not thinking where they have been or caring because they are in the predominant age group of minimal fatalities.

So many people can't afford time off work so won't be bothered quarantining,  just heading to work anyway, again, thinking it is just a typical sniffles/cold.

Also, how many people already have the virus who have not bothered to get tested because their symptoms are mild? You could double or treble the number of cases of people with the virus easily, who have then (for 14 days plus) been spreading it without knowing when, or how they contracted it.

For the 'ever so bright' elite leaders of our world surely the only reason for such a 'Fumbled Ball' is that it was not 'fumbled' at all?

Looking at how the Global Markets are currently responding to the crisis it would appear to be 'in the best interests' of those, who live and die by the Global NeoLib economy, for the virus to go 'pandemic' as quickly as possible (so negating the need for 'splendid isolation' of any country/economies) and so quickly re-starting the global economy?

Either that or those same elites have been so pampered by their sycophantic hangers on that their 'Dunning/Kruger' over reach is off the scale...... and we're stained glass windowed......

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

But how would someone in retail (like me) know if they'd been in contact with such people?

We get people coughing on or around us all day every day.

I work in the care industry, and as a day care service, the in house carers cannot wait to send the folk they care for to us, regardless of whether they have the black death, common cold, or have limbs hanging off.

We literally get every bug going, so i fully expect that the virus will run through our workplace like wildfire.

Annoyingly, i'm just at the end of a 6 week long period off work after having an operation...... I bet you £10 I get a bug in the first couple of weeks back!

So, i know how you feel matey, makes you wonder whether it's worth the risk?

• Like 1

Posted

Schools in the UK could be closed for more than two months if the coronavirus outbreak intensifies and becomes "out of control", England's chief medical officer has said.

He also said onward transmission between people in the UK without recent travel to affected virus hotspots was "just a matter of time".

Professor Whitty said if the virus becomes a global epidemic there could be a potential "social cost", which may include cutting the number of mass gatherings and shutting schools for several weeks.

He said: "One of the things that's really clear with this virus, much more so than flu, is that anything we do we're going to have to do for quite a long period of time, probably more than two months.

The implications of that are non-trivial, so we need to think that through carefully. This is something we face as really quite a serious problem for society potentially if this goes out of control."

Source: Sky News

• Like 1

Posted

When planning for H1N1 it was leaked that School Halls would be used as emergency morgues so best the students are away eh B.B.?

• Like 1

Posted

BREAKING

Coronavirus: Dow Jones records biggest points fall in history

skynews-wall-street-new-york_4932587.jpg
NEWS.SKY.COM

Global markets extended recent falls to slip more than 10% below recent highs as fears over the virus's economic impact deepened.

• Like 3