Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early run up to Winter 2020/2021 discussion

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Happy New Year from the CFS:

cfs-0-2244.png?18

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

now i grew up in 70s and 80s and Feb 94 which i remember doesn't even get into my top 20 snow events..i would even say Feb 09, Dec 09, and Jan 10 were better also...obviously now living in Canada and event like Feb 94 would just be a normal day at the office.

Where though, 90's events were mostly pants in the south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

i lived in Chelmsford then Exeter and back to Chelmsford growing up...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
31 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i lived in Chelmsford then Exeter and back to Chelmsford growing up...

90s events were mostly pants around Chelmsford! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Have a gut feeling it’s going to be a repeat of last year - was around the same time last year it turned very unsettled as well.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Beanz said:

Aye, best events here though, better still north of here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye, best events here though, better still north of here

Not sure where you are (on mobile) but I’m waiting to see (5 years in) if my slightly further north location (Bedfordshire) is much better than Essex.  I suspect not, we seem to be generally untouched by most forms of precip here! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
4 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Have a gut feeling it’s going to be a repeat of last year - was around the same time last year it turned very unsettled as well.

Yes, mon 30th sep 2019, downpour at about 8pm when coming home from work.  Tonight, the same!  Pretty much identical synoptics.. let's hope the winter is more interesting than last (could take repeat of mid feb though)

Posted
5 minutes ago, Beanz said:

Not sure where you are (on mobile) but I’m waiting to see (5 years in) if my slightly further north location (Bedfordshire) is much better than Essex.  I suspect not, we seem to be generally untouched by most forms of precip here! 

just 15 miles north of Wolves

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

now i grew up in 70s and 80s and Feb 94 which i remember doesn't even get into my top 20 snow events..i would even say Feb 09, Dec 09, and Jan 10 were better also...obviously now living in Canada and event like Feb 94 would just be a normal day at the office.

Feb 94 was better than jan 2010 for snow over the London area. It was heavier. Jan 2010 was notable for very cold days and clear crisp sunny weather. Both years had perfect winter weather.

You can’t draw comparisons with Canada and Uk. Latvia would be a better country to compare winters to. 

Posted
22 minutes ago, Beanz said:

i left Chelmsford moved to London in 1993 never to return (to live that is)...Feb 91 was a peach though

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Feb 94 was better than jan 2010 for snow over the London area. It was heavier. Jan 2010 was notable for very cold days and clear crisp sunny weather. Both years had perfect winter weather.

You can’t draw comparisons with Canada and Uk. Latvia would be a better country to compare winters to. 

i dont agree i was living in London in Feb 94 and the start of Jan 2010..for me Feb 94 was a 2 day wonder got around in my little golf ok..Jan 2010 i missed my last day but 1 at work due to being snowed in

Posted
27 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Have faith. It will be mostly mild until Christmas, but after that, the winter will be cold or very cold. That’s how I see things panning out this time.

A repeat of 1986/87 please.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Feb '94 way better here than Jan 2010

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i dont agree i was living in London in Feb 94 and the start of Jan 2010..for me Feb 94 was a 2 day wonder got around in my little golf ok..Jan 2010 i missed my last day but 1 at work due to being snowed in

I only had a dusting of snow in central London during January 2010, but the 2 day wonder in feb 94 was much better.

The cold of 2010 stuck around for longer, and snow seemed to be all around the M25, and beyond, but London didn’t get much. Mind you, it was notable to see snow fall in London for 5 straight years from 2009 until January 2013.

Feb 2009, January 2010, December 2010, February 2012, and January 2013.

And before you try and call me out on ‘no snow in 2011’, snow still feel during the winters either side of that calendar year.

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I only had a dusting of snow in central London during January 2010, but the 2 day wonder in feb 94 was much better.

The cold of 2010 stuck around for longer, and snow seemed to be all around the M25, and beyond, but London didn’t get much. Mind you, it was notable to see snow fall in London for 5 straight years from 2009 until January 2013.

Feb 2009, January 2010, December 2010, February 2012, and January 2013.

And before you try and call me out on ‘no snow in 2011’, snow still feel during the winters either side of that calendar year.

i wasn't in the UK in 2011 so i wouldn't know

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i wasn't in the UK in 2011 so i wouldn't know

You didn't miss much...

Posted
15 minutes ago, MP-R said:

You didn't miss much...

funnily enough here in Edmonton 2011-12 winter was the 2nd mildest on record

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Nov 10

Dec 10

Jan 10

Feb 09

Not sure which November I preferred as 2010 had the snow but last week aside it was forget

Posted
5 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Yes they were.  That’s why the 80s winters did it for me!  Different story further north though.  Remember seeing numerous reports of snow further north during the 90s winters, whereas the south had diddly squat.

Edited by Don

Posted
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Feb 94 was better than jan 2010 for snow over the London area. It was heavier. Jan 2010 was notable for very cold days and clear crisp sunny weather. Both years had perfect winter 

Yes, I think London largely missed out on the worst (or best) of the snowfalls on January 6th 2010?  I say that because that’s when the main snow event took place in the south that month.  20-30 miles to to the west/south west was a different story.

Edited by Don

Posted
4 hours ago, Don said:

Yes they were.  That’s why the 80s winters did it for me!  Different story further north though.  Remember seeing numerous reports of snow further north during the 90s winters, whereas the south had diddly squat.

Even up here, the 1990s were not brilliant. January 1990-November 1993 (except February 1991) and February 1997-Christmas 2000 had little snow. Snowiest period here from February 1997-Christmas 2000 was mid April 1998! 

Winter 2009-10 trounces any of those 90s winters even the ones of the 1980s. December 2010 was a better winter month than February 1986. 

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Even up here, the 1990s were not brilliant. January 1990-November 1993 (except February 1991) and February 1997-Christmas 2000 had little snow. Snowiest period here from February 1997-Christmas 2000 was mid April 1998! 

Winter 2009-10 trounces any of those 90s winters even the ones of the 1980s. December 2010 was a better winter month than February 1986. 

2010 is the daddy among winters. It makes 1986 it’s biatch.