Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Would you like to see the Hunt For Cold model thread return?

Would you like to see the cold hunting thread return?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a cold hunting model thread?

• No. Never
    • Maybe. Could try it out I guess
    • Aw yeah, man
    • Aw yeah, but include a technical in depth and/or short range model thread
    • Other (feel free to specify)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Hi all, just wondering whether you would like to see a ‘Hunt for cold’ model thread return? It’s something we tried a couple of years ago for those who are interested in chasing the cold weather. A thread for ramping and posting any cold or snowy charts you like. A place essentially for the cold weather fans to go wild in. From what I remember, quite a lot seem to like it. So it seems like a good idea to start up this poll to see if this is something people would like. 

Credit to @Radiating Dendrite for bringing this up in the Model Output Thread. Which is also why I’ve shared the link to his post in here above.

If enough people want it, we would likely run this thread alongside the main Model Output Thread, which would be more focused on any sort of weather on the whole, and be more relaxed. More general model discussion really. You’d still be welcome to post cold weather charts in that thread, unless it’s leans too much towards ramping or the post doesn’t contain much content.

Would their be any other sort of model threads you’d like to see, for example, a short range model thread focusing on charts within the 5 day range? 

We welcome any opinions. 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 2

Posted

Also added a ‘Other’ option in the poll too to provide a little more extra choice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Would you like to see the Hunt for Cold... in perfect harmony...?

New Seekers' Coca Cola advert (couldn't stand 'em) 1972?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Yes certainly.... im not interested in the hunt for cold, im interested in what the weathers actually going to do, mild, cold, or indifferent.

Besides, it might entice Knocker to return...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

It was a lot better - keep the realism to the technical thread and let the crazy snow lovers go crazy in the hunt for cold thread!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yes, the main thread is already seeing what I consider to be level 2 ramping.

Posted
22 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Yes certainly.... im not interested in the hunt for cold, im interested in what the weathers actually going to do, mild, cold, or indifferent.

Besides, it might entice Knocker to return...

To be fair, I enjoyed his contributions in the model thread. He did a lot of great posts.

• Like 2

Posted

My take is that we've run a hunt for cold thread at some point at least once over the last few years and have always ended up returning to the standard model thread + a banter/chat thread. Why? Because having a hunt for cold thread is a nice sounding idea, but actually it's not a particularly workable one.

People enjoy the hustle and bustle of the model thread, so naturally gravitate  to that or the hunt for cold thread, or indeed whatever the thread is called. But, what people also enjoy is to actually find model discussion within those threads, and by opening up a hunt for cold, the ramping tends to go up a notch, the chatter around that also goes up a notch and all within a fairly short space of time it becomes much harder to find model discussion. At that point, you may think an in depth thread would come into its own, but experience tells us it tends not to, because by the looks of it, only a relatively small number of people want to post into a quieter thread, and would rather have that hustle and bustle. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
14 minutes ago, Paul said:

My take is that we've run a hunt for cold thread at some point at least once over the last few years and have always ended up returning to the standard model thread + a banter/chat thread. Why? Because having a hunt for cold thread is a nice sounding idea, but actually it's not a particularly workable one.

People enjoy the hustle and bustle of the model thread, so naturally gravitate  to that or the hunt for cold thread, or indeed whatever the thread is called. But, what people also enjoy is to actually find model discussion within those threads, and by opening up a hunt for cold, the ramping tends to go up a notch, the chatter around that also goes up a notch and all within a fairly short space of time it becomes much harder to find model discussion. At that point, you may think an in depth thread would come into its own, but experience tells us it tends not to, because by the looks of it, only a relatively small number of people want to post into a quieter thread, and would rather have that hustle and bustle. 

thats an interesting insight... and an active model thread is attractive. but what isnt attractive is surfing loads of snow related posts in order to find a balanced view. personally i accept (after all these years, lol) that snow brings a lot of people in, and naturally you need to cater for the majority. personally i liked "knockers thread" lol, as whatever it was called, it became a two way covo between him and john. but i found that very useful.. 2 very knowledgeable experienced people discussing things in some depth without having to wade through loads of cold ramping stuff.

anyway, i guess that when theres no cold in the offing then numbers would reduce to a managable level, lol

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

No need. The cold arrives tomorrow anyway and will be here until April.

12 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Yes, the main thread is already seeing what I consider to be level 2 ramping.

Hope so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, preferably thunderstorms, cold and bad weather.

I enjoy the barely-contained chaos of the all-in models and ramping thread. It's fun!