Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

Drizzly showers on and off this morning have finally cleared here now and clouds are lifting with visibility improving. Winds have eased too as it was certainly a wild night, keeping me awake for some time. Was it perhaps Herne the Hunter leading the wild hunt across our valley???🤔😉🤫

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
52 minutes ago, Wetterfrosch said:

Drizzly showers on and off this morning have finally cleared here now and clouds are lifting with visibility improving. Winds have eased too as it was certainly a wild night, keeping me awake for some time. Was it perhaps Herne the Hunter leading the wild hunt across our valley???🤔😉🤫

A romantic possibility, but probs more likely the MAD mob, doomed to forever rampaging along in their endless hunt for Cold/Snowmaggedon .

Edited by snefnug

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Had a whole day by the fire, watching the dreck rain barrelling across the garden.  Now clear, but mild and very windy.  Perhaps Gwyn ap Nudd and the Wild Hunt have moved further  in and further up the land?

WWW.DUNBRYTHON.ORG

Gwyn ap Nudd:  'White son of Mist' is a Brythonic warrior-hunter God of the wilderness and ruler of Annwn. In Welsh mythology as a 'bull of battle' with his...

hunt has moved up land?  

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes
7 hours ago, snefnug said:

Perhaps Gwyn ap Nudd and the Wild Hunt have moved further  in and further up the land?

Of course, it would have been old Gwyn here in Wales. Thanks for the link as I am very interested in all things Welsh mythology!👍

After a brief respite it's quite damp and soggy underfoot here again. Looking forward to Monday, forecast to be the one bright and dry day of the week.

Posted

A subdued evening here, NY cold making appearance. No, not weather but sore throat, runny nose variety.  So  first wee dram of whiskey for over a year on the cards, with hot water, honey and lemon.  

Wishing  you all a very Happy New Year.

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Happy new year! Another wet and miserable day. Here's to a great year of weather in 2023!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Blwyddyn newydd dda i chi gyd 😃🍾

• Like 3

Posted

Little hail shower passing over.  I wonder if it would like to do a turn round the North Sea and pop back as snow?  No?  Oh well, worth an ask.

• Like 1

Posted

Blwyddyn newydd dda, pawb!

Health, wealth and prosperity to all of you - may the weather gods be kind to us and go sparingly on the extremes!

Well, after all that rain over the last week i have even some washing out on the line today, more to refresh really as drying will be limited due to lack of warmth or breeze with the sun so low. All back to square one, of course, by tomorrow with yet more rain and wind to come. Thanks to the second half of the month, December came in at 247 mm of rain in my garden. With November yielding 257 mm already, a whole third of annual rain fell in just these two months, bringing the total to 1478 mm which is 93 percent of the last 20 years' average - amazing really as by September it had reached no more than 70 percent. That's statistics for you - what appears to be close to normal is actually made up of two extremes, a summer of drought and a very soggy late year. Make the most of today then!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Yesterday we saw the sun for a few hours although it remains very low in the sky this time of year and the light morning frost hung around for most of the morning where the shadows remained.   It’s hammering down this morning with the prospect of a very wet day ahead.  Local roads might see some flooding in places today after a generally wet start to the year.  Looks like we could be in for a lot more of this in January as the prospect of cold, dry weather has disappeared off the charts for now.  

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sky Full said:

Yesterday we saw the sun for a few hours although it remains very low in the sky this time of year and the light morning frost hung around for most of the morning where the shadows remained.   It’s hammering down this morning with the prospect of a very wet day ahead.  Local roads might see some flooding in places today after a generally wet start to the year.  Looks like we could be in for a lot more of this in January as the prospect of cold, dry weather has disappeared off the charts for now.  

Grimly miserable here after a bright but cold day yesterday.  Low level cloud, rain and by no means ‘mild’.  Ah well, it’s January after all.  Hope it doesn’t hammer down for the Norman walk, otherwise it might be Supertramp lurking in the mist awailing again.  

• Like 1

Posted

Diflas yw'r ffordd ymlaen ar hyn o bryd yn anffodus 😔

What a dark, dull wet and horrible start to January bar Monday! 

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, Cymro said:

Diflas yw'r ffordd ymlaen ar hyn o bryd yn anffodus 😔

What a dark, dull wet and horrible start to January bar Monday! 

Yes indeedio.  Usual blowy soggy walk with the Dog Norman.  Could have sworn I heard  Pilot awarbling in the larches….

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like we’re going to be plagued with a persistently wet and windy month as far as the models can see right now.  It’s been a very wet morning here as a long line of heavy showers formed over the Celtic Sea and relentlessly targeted Pembrokeshire.  Rain has stopped in the last half hour so hopefully we might get a chance to dry out a bit!   Having got over Christmas and New Year I’m now getting impatient for Spring to appear but I guess we’ll have to endure some more winter weather first…..

Posted

Intense rain overnight kept me awake for a while but this morning we have a genuine sunrise occurring!  Lovely to see the sun again, which has been cloud covered since Monday.  It’s a great start to the day but showers and more rain forecast for later.  Oh well.  It is January after all…..

Posted

After a morning of showers ,then a day of dry ish sun, tonight is rain and wind, wind whistling down the chimney.  

has to be done, sorry guys…..

Posted

Flippin' heck, what's going on?😲Mighty showery rain turned to hail all of a sudden just an hour ago, leaving a white icy and very slippery coating on the ground. A few loud thunders having cats seeking 'shelter' under the dresser, lights flickering etc. The new year certainly comes roaring in like a lion! Temperature nosedived to 3 C and our steep road was quite treacherous to walk on. To my knowledge, hail is supposed to be clear but this appeared white when it first hit the ground so not quite sure what to call it really, some kind of hybrid of snow grain and hail, I suppose. All returned to rain now and melting fast, just waiting now for it all to slacken off before dragging my rather elderly labs out for their morning perusal.

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Chair, Furniture, Hail, Shoe, Footwear, Clothing

Could contain: Tarmac, Road, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Gravel, City, Outdoors, Street, Urban

Could contain: Weather, Outdoors, Nature, Potted Plant, Plant, Backyard, Yard, Garden, Hail

• Like 2

Posted

We’ve got sleety precipitations here with the odd big snowflake.    Don’t envy you on your dog walk.   Husband has the Dog Norman walk today.  Phew!

just turned to snow proper. 

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Wetterfrosch said:

Flippin' heck, what's going on?😲Mighty showery rain turned to hail all of a sudden just an hour ago, leaving a white icy and very slippery coating on the ground. A few loud thunders having cats seeking 'shelter' under the dresser, lights flickering etc. The new year certainly comes roaring in like a lion! Temperature nosedived to 3 C and our steep road was quite treacherous to walk on. To my knowledge, hail is supposed to be clear but this appeared white when it first hit the ground so not quite sure what to call it really, some kind of hybrid of snow grain and hail, I suppose. All returned to rain now and melting fast, just waiting now for it all to slacken off before dragging my rather elderly labs out for their morning perusal.

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Chair, Furniture, Hail, Shoe, Footwear, Clothing

Could contain: Tarmac, Road, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Gravel, City, Outdoors, Street, Urban

Could contain: Weather, Outdoors, Nature, Potted Plant, Plant, Backyard, Yard, Garden, Hail

If the pellets were a bit squishy, rather than hard like hail, it could be graupel. 

https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/svrwx101/hail/types/

Edited by Crepuscular Ray

Posted
4 minutes ago, Crepuscular Ray said:

If the pellets were a bit squishy, rather than hard like hail, it could be graupel. 

I have had graupel here before but that was different to this morning. It was pretty hard, like tiny balls from a ball bearing, hence me slithering on the road. Remains i spotted on the dog walk were clearly see through so I suspect it's the sheer mass of all those hail stones appearing white in the still weak daylight or they pick up some frost on the outside on the way down.🤔

Posted

Crivens! that was one very wet dog walk.  Soaked to the skin through the not completely waterproof waterproofs.  Hot coffee in hand,  and wet things in airing cupboard hopefully to be dry enough for the Norman Dog walk later.  Thank heavens I’m only walking two dogs this week.

Posted

Looking outside, this is what a 'home day' looks like as my wife calls it - time to just sit by the fire with hot beverages and either just chatting or indulging in a favourite pastime. Seems the bulk of the rain has already filled my gage to the tune of 22.8 mm by 9 am and the beeb was right to suggest a short dry interval which fell just into dog walking time - how convenient!😃 I noticed that the MO used the rather unscientific term 'drab' yesterday to describe today's weather which is so true - thick cloud right down to almost the bottom of the valley and drizzle now floating in the strong breeze. I think this is my least favourite time of the year. With the cheerfulness of Christmas lights gone (not in our house yet, as usual!) and the seemingly never ending greyness above and sodden ground below it's no wonder people get depressed. As for next week's snow prospects, if and when the clouds lift i may well be able to admire white mountain tops from a distance as it seems next to impossible these days to get lying snow down to below 300 m ASL in areas close to the coasts. Have a good day all - make the most of it!👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, andymusic said:

the chase is on for next week it seems

781017A0-00DC-4E1D-9524-E7D0D9333D64.jpe

Yes a potent Notherly for 18th 19th persistent snow snow showers winter is back with a bang!!!

Could contain: Swimming, Water, Person, Water Sports, Sport, Leisure Activities, Text, File

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1